1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice storing my air rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ConnyEnglish, May 11, 2012.

1. ConnyEnglish

ConnyEnglish Newbie

hey guys just a quick one just wanted to know if it is ok to keep my rifle when im not using it in a padded gun bag/slip . at the moment i keep it out just in case to stop any chance of rust . dont have cash to get a gun safe atm . help please :D

2. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

I can see no reason, unless your bag is damp, that you shouldn't keep it in a padded gun slip.

I always wipe my guns down with a little Ballistol sprayed onto a cotton rag and then wipe off the excess oil with a microfiber cloth before it goes inside my bag or case. This is generally good practice I reckon.

3. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I've never stored my rifles in a gunbag - I saw what happened to my mate's HW77 way back in the day and it discouraged me from ever keeping the guns in a bag for any longer than it takes to transport from home to shoot: after a week in the bag he took it out and it looked as though it'd been steeped in Bisto :(

I suppose if you must then do as Mart61 says and ensure it's bone dry first, wiped down with oil (Ballistol.... aaaah, Ballistol!!) before it's put away and keep a decent sized silica gel sachet inside the bag at all times to absorb excess moisture.

4. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Fair point Egg. I will say tho that I stored my TX200 in a gun bag untouched for several years and never had a problem.

Your mate didn't use his bag as a makeshift urinal at any point did he?

:D

5. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Nah, but I shat in his pocket once because I was jealous of his Barbour Northumbria :lol:

6. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Gravy boat then perhaps?

:D

7. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

I leave my rifle stored in its bag all the time,all I do is when I've been out with it I leave the rifle out of the bag for an hour or so when I get home to let it get to room temperature and then give it a good wipe over with an oiled rag and then stick it in its bag, never had a problem with rust on it at all.