1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Storage Guidance

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by SP99, Jan 9, 2021.

1. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

This popped up as a result of an earlier thread....

what’s peoples current opinions/methods regarding storage for your guns. LONG AND SHORT TERM. ie 6months plus. And day to day.

Most of us using bags, hard cases, foam, cabinets etc? Interested to know

edit: currently just heard a lot of bad news around foam in hard cases so looking for the general best option, currently keeping rifle out of case for long as possible till I find out what’s best!

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Somewhere dry without any extreme temperature fluctuations - all of mine are in a cabinet with large bag of silica in the top that is changed once a fortnight at this time of year to be 'recharged' in the oven for half an hour :up:

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  3. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

And take it in a bag for transport to and from your range/club/perm?

4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Yep, always carried in a slip out of view in the boot

5. no country members

no country members tooled up tool

Mine usually live in their hard cases in spare bedroom. Stored at full pressure. Seem fine.

6. Lead Merchant

Lead Merchant Keyboard Hero

Stored up in the loft ( constant temp. all be it chilled ) in a fleece lined bag and charged no probs it’s kept clean and oiled .

7. DEGS

DEGS Posting Addict

Let mine condition to room / storage temp .... on return home .....case or slip left open in the room to do so ....
    then check over it for marks etc from use .... then oily rag .... lens clean .... recharge ( if necessary) little written note of pressure in it ( to check for leaks when next used) ....
    then stored in closed cases ..... one of those cheapo plastic water traps nearby ....

8. chuggypop

chuggypop Marmite - I'm undecided.

I have 13 Shotguns, mainly colectors pieces and a couple of RF Rifles, all stored in steel, approved, gun cabinets, lined with polystyrene tiles and have a sachet of VP90 in each cabinet. Some guns have damascus barrels with high iron content, no issues with rust in 5-6 years.

Mickm8 and Monster like this.
  9. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

Cracking, in the absence of a cabinet, best option for storage?

10. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

I just leave mine lying around the house anywhere, no particular place, i might even have a couple in the back garden. They are easier to find whe i go shooting.;)
    Not really, all in cabinets, bags hang in the garage to dry out if wet.
    Always clean them before they go back in there place. Shotguns get bore snaked and then oiled.
    Atb
    Mart

11. bighit

bighit Pro Poster

12. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Keyboard Hero

Fortunately, there are no children (nor indeed other adults) in my home, so no chance of persons under 18 getting access to them.

bighit likes this.
  13. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

Preferably where the air can freely circulate - never in a bag or case...

Mickm8, mmamonster and Buckshot like this.
  14. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Keyboard Hero

Agreed.

It's bad enough, having to keep Section 1 firearms and shotguns in steel cabinets, but in bags is even worse.

15. Bunyip

Bunyip Adopter of Tiger AA's

Even a gun slip after being wiped down with ballistol?
    Not doubting your advice I've got springers and always kept them in the slip.
    Just want to know if I'm doing the wrong thing. :thumb:

16. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

Well, I certainly wouldn't, not even after they've been wiped down with the blood of a virgin...

Bunyip likes this.
  17. Bunyip

Bunyip Adopter of Tiger AA's

Oh Censored, slaughtered all the virgins.
    Never mind after your advice. :)

18. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

Napier VP90 sachet (doesn't dry the wood out like silica) in cabinet, oily rag over guns before storage, do NOT keep them in a slip!

Monster and rabbitwrecker like this.
  19. 32:1

32:1 Yea, I like it

When my locker was bolted inside our garage/workshop I had a lightbulb fitted inside at base and just left it on, the heat from that would keep everything dry, years of use and not one spec of rust, now I keep them indoors I find they dont need anything more than a small damp trap and just a wipe over if youve got wet before putting away

Chris

20. PhatMan

PhatMan Keyboard Hero

SP99,

For any rifles/pistols that I have needed to be stored 'long-term' :

I remove action from stock.

I apply RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) to all the out metal surfaces of the action, including the bore. I then wrap the action in cling-film, making sure that as much air as possible is removed. A second wrap of cling-film is done, then the whole is wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil.

The stock is given a heavy coat of high-beeswax polish, inside and out, and then, along with the action, is put in a mesh plastic bag in the storing cupboard.

I also put a plastic label into the mesh bag with the rifle details, and date of the archive treatment.

Some test pieces, I have treated as above, remained in perfect condition after five (5) years in our damp, freezing cellar, so I am confident that the process works as intended.

Have fun & a good Sunday :)

Best regards

Russ

frenchy3 likes this.