1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Stoeger X20S .22

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by BrettMRC, Jun 10, 2015.

1. BrettMRC

BrettMRC Donator

After being stuck on a conference call for best part of 13 hours, and idly googling springers and gas rams - I decided to nip upto my local dealer and get myself a little pick me up for the weekend.

I had a list of possibilities that included: Hatsan 85x, Stoeger X20, BSA Lightning GRT (inspite of the dire warnings), Gamo Rocket IGT or possibly a cheaper Weihrauch. The intention was not to spend more than £300 as this was just to give me a bit of fun :)

In the end I went for the X20S purely because it felt well made and I couldn't knock the price at £140. (Probably cheaper elsewhere online, but that doesn't help with impulse buying!)

Worth noting there was no Hatsan 85x available to look at.

Unboxed it earlier and spent some time getting the pellets going in roughly the right direction. The scope isn't too bad as long as you pay no attention to the range finder - it's about as accurate as WW2 strategic bombing...

Overall I'm pretty impressed with it, the other half likes it more than her Meteor so no doubt it will be pressed into Magpie duties while I'm at work!

Out of the box it seems quite quiet, although noise is quite dependant on pellet fit - I have been using RWS superdomes and noticed some variation as the evening wore on, but overall it's been quiet. (on three occasions it boinged, but I suspect this was down to some iffy pellets being used out of a dropped tin)

My accuracy is rubbish anyway at the moment - but I was grouping within 25mm at 35yards which is good for me regardless of the gun!

Will update the thread as it gets used more.

Stoeger X20S after 50 pellets.jpg

:)

2. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i like them, canny little set up for not alot of money, i had a cammo one:up:

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

You'll find your accuracy will improve with the addition of a Welsh Willy Trigger. The standard one doesn't really give you any feedback when you pull it, the WW trigger however, will give you a better 2-stage feel and a more predictable release, which will give you better shots on target :)

4. BrettMRC

BrettMRC Donator

Quick update:

After the first 200 pellets, (bored saturday afternoon!) the accuracy went wild - without any kit here to bench test it I went back to the dealer and and asked them for some assistance as I wasn't sure if it was a) Me b) The Scope or c) Me & the scope.
    Turned out it was probably mostly my lack of experience in diagnosing an issue with the scope. So, slightly wiser and a little red in the face I went back and had another play.

Rest of the tin went through and proved without question that a) I'm still not a great shot and b) The X20S isn't a bad buy.

I'm going to look for a chrono soon to see how it is performing now it's had pound of lead through it.

:)

(Quick edit to add: as mentioned in a post above, the trigger is shocking - like pushing string up a cats arse)

5. billy-the-kid

billy-the-kid Active Member

Good post. the stoeger is a very capable air gun.

I own on in .22 also i have been shooting .22 for most of my life and when i purchased this rifle found my grouping to be off a tad try different pellets, im currently using the BSA Elite and find them to be within a 5p - 10p at 35yrds depending on conditions... so try a few diffrent pellet types. also the stoeger for a springer does have a bit of a kick to it compared with others on the market so can contribute to the odd wild shot. keep with it for the price is an excellent quality rifle
    Ive fitted a decent quality bipod to mine also

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Well if it's grouping within 25mm at 35 yds that's pretty good for a springer considering its price and it's new gun out of the box,personally I wouldn't expect any great improvement on that other than to try different pellets to see which suits the gun best.You can buy sample packs from Richard(richardscar) a member on here he does a whole range.I believe you can buy a trigger mod that improves the trigger pull which also may help.I you 're consistently grouping 25mm at 35yds with a brand new gun that you've never shot before,a springer as well,then there's not much wrong with your shooting.:)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  7. BrettMRC

BrettMRC Donator

Now you've done it - I will never hit anything again now! lol! :D

8. wilderbeest

wilderbeest Active Member

OK chaps, I have a synthetic x20s, and have found the following;
    As said the Welsh Willy trigger will improve things, immensely. But the following will change things completely.
    There is no 'lead in' (land) ie; tiny chamfer on the breech end of the barrel. it needs one, so get a countersink tool or similar,
    and BY HAND ONLY, just take the sharp edge of the above, so the pellet sits completely inside the bore before you close it up. Consistency and accuracy will
    improve instantly. I have now done this to six of these, and every one has improved beyond compare. Without it pellets get their skirts clipped /mangled upon closure.
    If you can change the spring to a Titan xs (not an ox), and 'Delrin ' top hat and guide. the transformation will be complete.
    The only pellets that 'we' can get consistency with are , Air Arms Diablo. And that's with all of them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. James K

James K Well-Known Member

Where are they made? Looking at the price of air rifles now which seem mad compared to when I used them back in the 70's and 80's it looks a bargain.

10. SteveO

SteveO Squinty

Italian designed and engineered, produced in China.

11. Epicpianokid

Epicpianokid Junior Member

I have a synthetic stock .177 stoeger x20s, How did you fit your bipod onto it? And does the bipod affect accuracy, as I have heard it isn't very good to put a bipod on a springer, is it the case with the x20? also have you got any pictures please?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. Epicpianokid

wilderbeest, after these upgrades, how consistent is it? And how much do you think it would cost from a gunsmith to get those upgrades done that you mentioned? as I have no tools or anything for that, nor would I want to risk it lol :p

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  13. Epicpianokid

Sorry for a ton of questions everyone, but what do you guys think the best pellets are for the Stoeger x20S? I have the .177 version. I'm going to get more pellets in soon, and I usually shoot Crossman pellets, and I have found them to be not very consistent past 20 yards, Unless its me haha

14. Sah

Sah Donator

My mate has the .177 and uses Air Arms 4.52mm @ 8.44grn with good results but probably best to test a few they all differ :up:

15. SteveO

SteveO Squinty

There are no silly questions mate, only silly people who don't ask them, so fire away!

I use RWS Superdomes in my .22 to good effect, just another you could try, and they are cheap as chips. ;)

16. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

When i had mine a few years ago, Superdomes were the order of the day, followed by H&N FTT

17. Epicpianokid

I'll try them then :)

18. BrettMRC

BrettMRC Donator

I'd recommend binning the scope it comes bundled with - IIRC mine lasted about 80 shots before the reticule jumped. (Can be reset easily enough but its a faff)

19. wilderbeest

wilderbeest Active Member

If you look at the underside of Superdomes m you wil see they have quite a thick skirt on the pellet.
    This helps them to maintain their shape when being handled etc , but its not good news when the released air cannot
    make the skirt expand. So i use Falcon Accuracy plus .