1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Stoeger x20s .177

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by dave-greenock, Mar 10, 2014.

1. dave-greenock

dave-greenock Engaging Member

Il start by saying im not one for doing a few thousand word detailed reports so i shall keep it simple.

Picked up the stoeger today as i had been looking at the gun/videos/reviews all week and decided to go for it, I have seen a few people saying the trigger is awful although i have only put around 100 pellets through it since i got it a few hours ago i don't really have any complaints about the trigger and have tried adjusting it yet, It doesn't seem twangy and is pretty quiet to. The only other 2 air rifles i can compare it to that i have owned are a theoban fenman gas ram and an smk underleaver i had in the past.

It has a nice weight and feel to is and at 43 inches long i quite like it, the barrel breaks nicely and isnt to tight nor slack, gun feels solid and so does the synthetic stock.

I got quite a nice surprise when i opened the box as on the website from the shop i bought it it stated that i was getting a compact steoger scope 4x32 with a illuminated reticle but instead i got a stoeger 3-9x40 AO scope, quite chuffed with that only thing is i need higher mounts now but they aere already ordered, some hawke ones will be here in 2 days time.

Heres a picture of the gun anyway and over the next tin of pellets i will get some pictures of groupings from 20, 30 and 40 yards to see how the accuracy is when the gun has been broke in.

If anyone has any questions or anything if missed don't hesitate to ask
    20140310_165024.jpg 20140310_165055.jpg 20140310_165100.jpg 20140310_165109.jpg 20140310_165124.jpg

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Nice one Dave, Stoeger appear to have changed the stock as the chequering on mine is different, maybe its just the case as mine is not the suppressor version.

I do prefer the look of the barrel on this version. :up:

3. dave-greenock

Yeh the barrel done it for me i think mate. Not looking to tune mine at the moment but what kind of difference did your gcp tuning kit and trigger make to yours ?. Im nightshift the rest of the week so probably get out at the weekend and see what groupings i get. And also have a play with the trigger adjustment and ser what suits me.

4. Potty Plinker

Potty Plinker Member

I suppose this is as good a place to say Hello as any. Hi!

I bought one of these last week, had a good play with it on Saturday and I'm quite impressed with it for the money. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your groupings, Dave; I gave the barrel a clean, tightened the trigger right up and was getting close to 1/2 an inch at 15 yards straight away. The only minor gripes I have with the gun itself are that it's not as quiet as I was hoping and the safety is a bit clunky.

I got the same surprise scope and that's all right except it's not much use as a rangefinder, (yards out) and the coloured lens cap is a joke; I can hardly see through it! Still, I'm not complaining too much. :)

5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Intro section is the place to go, this will get lost in the thread.

As far as the Stoeger goes Dave, I've only heard good things about them, and I've a mate in Kilmarnock who has one and swears by it, so I've every reason to believe you will be happy with it - good one about the scope also, real winner.

Thanks for the write up, let us know how you get on, but remember different guns like different pellets, so try a few to see what yours likes.

James

6. dave-greenock

Yep it is a fantastic little air rifle, im almost through a tin of h&n ftt's when i finish them im gona strip the air rifle and do a polish and re lube, ive got a tin of aa fields for it next and rws hobbys aswell, When i get the chance il get some pictures of groupings up on here.

7. dave-greenock

I thought the same about the safety mate, after a few hundred shots the safety i suppose i could say beded in and its a bit smoother now so all good. i swore i would never get a pcp but ive got my heart set on a bsa r10 mk2 so looking to get one in june i think.

8. dave-greenock

Just a note to anyone with a stoeger x20s, i striped cleaned and re lubed mines there and im glad i did as it looks like it was lubed with wd40 from the factory lol, i used moly grease and its quite a simple job.

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

There area few airgun snobs that think the only airgun worth owning is an expensive PCP or a weihrauch springer but some of these budget airguns can perform quit well especially after a bit of fettling and selecting the right pellet.Let us know how things go.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  10. dave-greenock

I definitely will mate, ill get some pictures up next weekend with groupings at 20 30 and 40 yards.

11. Potty Plinker

Potty Plinker Member

With you there; I own several rifles and without doubt have the most fun with a £100 Webley Rebel! (OK, £150 with scope and silencer.) It has its faults but it's as accurate as any of the others and quieter by a long way.

12. Potty Plinker

Potty Plinker Member

With you there! I own several rifles and without doubt have the most fun with two of the cheapest; a £100 Webley Rebel and a Hatsan Mod 60 S I picked up new recently for £95. (Get 'em while you can at Branthwaites, I doubt they'll be selling them at this price for long!)

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Hatsan are underrated,they well made rugged guns.I waiting for my Model 95 to arrive.the MOD 60s is tremendous value,where else can you buy a well made gun with a good trigger and a walnut stock for that money! With a bit of tlc and fettling they can perform very well.

14. Potty Plinker

Potty Plinker Member

Yep. I stuck a decent scope and a silencer on the Hatsan, (had to grind the barrel down to get the silencer on, but that's another story), and it's easily a match for the Crosman Venom I paid £240 for. Far better made and the trigger is in a different league! Even tweaked, the Crosman trigger is a bag of crap in comparison.

(Sorry about the double post above; still finding my way around here...)

15. Potty Plinker

Potty Plinker Member

OK, back to the Stoeger after a couple of months use. I love this gun! I fitted a Nikko Sterling 3-9x40AO Mil Dot scope, (sold the one that came with it on ebay), and it's reliably hitting a one inch target at fifty yards using cheapo Marksman domed pellets! It seems to be very forgiving with pellets and is similarly accurate with Crosman Copperheads, Umarex Domed and Prometheus, the only others I've tried. 10/10 from me and highly recommended to all; the best £150 I've spent in quite a while.

16. Deadeye

Deadeye Donator

I've had my stoeger supressor for 6 months now , but I opted for the .22 version. Out of the box and with the first pellet I was grouping in two inches on the target from 30 yards, after zeroing the scope I'm now hitting the bullseye constantly .these guns are a good match with all the airgun snobs at our shooting range, I'm hitting every target the way more expensive guns are and most people are gutted that I'm doing it . Puts a smile on my face every time, I've only been shooting for about 8months and really happy with this gun. However ,I am looking for a different gun to go shooting with, I just want one gun for the range and one for the rabbits/pigeons etc. there's a smk skeleton for sale near me but I've not heard anything on them, any advice on these guns would be appreciated thanks in advance. By the way I'm new to this site and it's been a great help. Thanks

17. Gollum

Gollum Donator

I have had lots of expensive PCPs years ago, Rapid MFR, Falcon Raptor, AA 400 Classic to mention a few, but found it boring and gave up. Now 10 years later I was going to buy another springer but wifey had to have private medical treatment so cash all gone. My brother bought me a hatsan Mod60s and I am made up with it. I am struggling with open sights cos I am old but thanks to the generousity of 2 members of this forum I have been given 2 scopes, one for my rifle and one for my grandsons. Can't hit targets as easily as I could with the pcps but its a lot more fun.