1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Stoeger Atac Advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by JBFUK, Mar 11, 2018.

1. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Hey Guys,

I have a Stoeger ATAC that I brought a few years ago. Haven't really made the time to use it so this weekend I decided to get it out. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to get it nicely zeroed at 35yds. Just when I thought I was starting to get there it seemed to start moving.

Now I'm sure that some of this is down to my skill but I've read on the GTA forums that some people suspect the supplied scope can be the cause of may of the problems zeroing this gun and getting decent groups.

Wondering if anyone has and experience with this gun, thoughts, advice? I'm considering buying a Hawke or NikkoStirling scope for it but perhaps it'll just be a waste of money.

Justin.

2. FerreT985

FerreT985 Engaging Member

I've got an x20s stoeger
    I think they're just ultra sensitive. One day it'll put pellets in a 20mm hole at 30 yards and an hour later it'd be more like 200mm.
    I got a hawke sport scope and it's reasonably accurate when it feels like it!

3. Ade C

Ade C Engaging Member

Have you cleaned the barrel?

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Engaging Member

As above.

5. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Hmm, so even with a Hawke scope it's probably not going to shot reliably one day to another.

I gave the barrel a little clean last week just with the cloth attachment of a cleaning rod kit I've had for a while with a little gun oil. How should I be cleaning it properly? Lot's of sites seem to suggest air rifle barrels don't need much cleaning?

6. dayglowfroggy

dayglowfroggy Engaging Member

I Had a stoeger x20s and it was incredibly hold sensitive even so much as the trigger guard toiching something and it would be mikes away.
    Also my trigger took allot of getting used to.
    My stoeger scope didn't last long and the mounts were useles to.

7. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Thanks. I took it apart last night and found that one of the front stock screws seems a little loose so I have put some blue thread-lock on all three now. My ATAC has the GRTIII trigger installed but I can't say that I've had a lot of luck setting it up. However I adjust it feels like a single stage trigger with a very short pull, nothing like the 2-stage trigger setups I see on other guns in YouTube - if nothing else it does look cool :)

Guess I'll give this another go; perhaps I'll try to re-zero at closer range, say 25yds. It's very frustrating, I feel like my rusty old 20+ year old Westlake B2 is more consistent/accurate.

8. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Engaging Member

Loose stock screws are always the first thing I check for when my groups start to open up. Invariably tightening them up is the cure. Don't forget the wind can make a difference esp at 35 yards.

9. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Hopefully that was it in terms of going from 9/10 hitting my 6" target to not hitting it at all, I'll re-test at the weekend. I could also just be asking too much of the gun for my level of skill. I'll also try bringing my target in to 25 yards too and see if things improve.

I think I'll end up selling the Stoeger, perhaps to someone who has different expectations or more time/skill to get it shooting the way I would like it to. I'm sure with the right modifications and/or enough time it can be a nice gun, it's certainly powerful and I love the look and feel of it but I think getting it to shoot accurately at range is beyond my abilities.

10. dayglowfroggy

Tbh the sooner you sell it and get something like a hw99 hw30 hatsan 55 or walther terus or an old hw80 the sooner you will know what your actual skill level is . all those guns are normally good second hand buys

11. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

I'm actually hoping to buy a HW95K tonight.

12. thumbhole

thumbhole Post Whore

You wont go wrong getting a 95 :thumb:

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  13. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Now the proud owner of a 95. It's not perfect, there's a little bit of marking/corrosion on the top of the compression cylinder, looks like possibly someone's wedding ring has scuffed it while adjusting the scope. It has a bit of a springy twang but nothing unusual based on what I've seen on YouTube while researching. The price was good and I'm sure that I can tune out the twang and deal with the marks on the top of the cylinder (don't mind the cosmetic aspect but just make sure any corrosion stops).

Now to wait for my new scope to arrive and start reading up on the various different tuning kits available to quiet it down and smooth it out a bit.

Fusty Fieldcrafter likes this.
  14. dayglowfroggy

Good choice, external condition doesn't matter.
    Now you will see what a proper air rifle can do .

JBFUK likes this.
  15. JBFUK

JBFUK Active Member

Thanks. I've ordered a Vortek tuning kit for it to get rid of that twang; will give the piston a good polish while it's out too. For the corrosion/pitting I'm planning to file it down, polish and use some 'Super Blue' to cold blue it. I don't mind if it doesn't look perfect, it's under the scope anyway - I just want to make sure it doesn't corrode any further.

Funnily enough, after tightening and threadlocking the stock screws I took the ATAC out in the garden yesterday lunchtime to plink at a 25yd target. No bench, just sitting and resting my front elbow on my knee I got 4/6 in the centre 2" circle of the target with the other two just outside (one was a dead centre bullseye - fluke!). Perhaps not having those stock screws threadlocked and resting on the bench was part of the problem. Will play a bit more at the weekend.

Regardless of improvements I'm probably going to have to try to sell the ATAC to keep the wife happy, at least it might cover the cost of the Vortek kit :D

16. dayglowfroggy

Try just rubbing the corrosion with a ball of silver foil then keep it oiled and that's all you need to do.
    Is very easy to over do it with sanding or filling or using wire wool you can end up wishing you had left it alone..
    i spray my guns with a bit of general purpose oil from lidle seems as good as anything else.
    Cold bluing would improve it but never make it go away completely.

17. Christoph1945

Christoph1945 Engaging Member

If you still have the Stoeger and are thinking of trying to improve it a little further, you could try swapping the trigger adjustment screw for one that is a little longer but don't over adjust it or you will finish up with a hair trigger or even be unable to cock the gun. I was even thinking of drilling a second hole in the trigger guard, to facilitate easier screwdriver access to the trigger adjustment screw.

What do think of the noise output from the Stoeger Atac Supressor?

18. mattyw1987

mattyw1987 Well-Known Member

My cousin had a atac and it was very smooth and i was impressed with it apart from the accuracy, it just wouldn't group so i i decid to rod a pellet down the bore and it was terrible tight and loose spots all the way down and the pellets rifling marks were nasty and uneven.

So that's what I would try bud.

19. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

I had an X20 and carbined it, was a lovely rifle that was very accurate, I had no problem with hold sensitivity, in fact I've never had issues with any boinger I've used in that respect, point, squirt, hit the target. :up:

I wonder if it's down to the shooter and their shooting style or size? I am what would be considered a very large framed guy (with plenty of meat on that large frame too), maybe that's why nothing really causes me a problem? idk... :shrug:

I tuned it with a Welsh Willy kit and one of his trigger kits, it was then a psuedo two stage, better than the standard, creepy, crappy single stage that you never knew when it was going to let off.... sold now but not forgotten.

X20.jpg