1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Stocks . . And The Wood There Made From

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rincewind666, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Donator

Hi all , I was just wondering why most guns have stocks made from beech and walnut only . . . Is there a reason other woods are not used? I ask as I make stocks and grips and alot of my overseas customers ask for alsorts of exotic and strange woods and I have to say I've made some amazing looking gear for them with great grains and patterns . . . So why is the UK mainly geared towards beech or walnut? I made myself an oak cp2 stock as the grain looked lovely and it oiled up great too. I'm making another from bloodwood and maybe some cherry/apple if I find a nice cut.

Ginnel Gunner likes this.
  2. ibo7

ibo7 Busy Member

Pics please:D

3. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Donator

I have some in the tech section, and some on my work laptop, I was real curious to why these 2 woods are used and not alot of the other great looking woods I work with

4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

I would imaging it’s to do with cost and availability

Rincewind666 likes this.
  5. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Donator

Well I get access to alot of rare wood and I get a real good deal on it too, I'm thinking of just making 4 blanks out of real exotic wood and showing them here . . . I'll make one a HW80 and one a cp2 . . . And leave the others blank in case someone want one making.

6. robs5230

robs5230 Very Active

And weight.
    Some of the more exotic timbers are far denser and heavier.
    Walnut offers a much more attractive grain pattern and often lighter than beech.

Both would have been sourced in the UK in days gone by.

Paul Chell, metalman and Rincewind666 like this.
  7. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Donator

This is bocote (Mexican rosewood). I brought this a few days ago . . . The pattern is amazing . . . I'm going to make a cp2 grip and cp2 stock from this

Attached Files:

8. Denzle

Denzle Donator

That looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing the results.

9. Crash one

Crash one Engaging Member

Didn't they use maple on Kentucky muskets? That looked nice.

Rincewind666 likes this.
  10. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

I would imagine sustainability is a major factor these days, I'm guessing Beech are easy and fast to grow?

Also, I presume wood for factory produced rifles would need to be durable and easy to machine and work with, which I'm guessing is the case with Beech?

11. Rincewind666

Rincewind666 Donator

Well what about people who get custom stocks . . . Like css stocks? They could get any wood in the world but always seems to be the normal few? If I was spending £170+ on a stock of want something special . . . A rare wood kind of thing. I'm only asking as I plan on making stocks from these woods and wondered if they would sell in the uk like they sell in other country's. I have 4 different rare woods coming this week. I'll post pics as I get them and make them

12. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Very interesting i suppose i would be interested for the wood in the pic how much do you think a stock would cost if you could do them for £250 i should think you would sell many. One of them to me.

Rincewind666 likes this.
  13. charlie351

charlie351 Active Member

I read that they don't use oak for gunstocks because the tannin in the wood will rust and pit the metal. mite be worth keeping a eye on if you already have the action already mounted in the oak stock you made ?

ped and Rincewind666 like this.
  14. metalman

metalman Keyboard Hero

English Walnut has a nice grain/colour

15. Baldalot

Baldalot Post Whore

I suspect it's a combination of cost, availability, weight, how stable the wood is and so forth. My experience with buying woodturning blanks has shown me how some woods are priced way above what you might think.

Another thing to consider is how some woods affect metal. For instance, and from bitter experience, olive wood is lovely to look at, but will ruin the metalwork of a lathe bed and turning gouges if you don't clean it off. I dread to think what it would do to the action of a gun. :eek: :facepalm:

Blackmax likes this.
  16. Tricky13

Tricky13 Post Whore

I like different types of wood for stocks, but its often price and weight that stops people using it, i have seen some fantastic woods as i sometimes make knives, but some can be three times as heavy as walnut or beach, made an American ash stock for my Coyote, but although it looked good it made an already heavy rifle heavier, so i am going to use Coloured laminate for my next one.

[​IMG]

17. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Cost, mass, availability, sustainability, aesthetics, dimensional stability (with respect to moisture and temperature), ease of processing.. note that the sap of some woods can also be damaging to blued steel, as I believe is the case with Oak.

Rincewind666 likes this.
  18. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

shouldnt make stocks out of oak! contains nasty tanins that can cause rust

Paul Chell and Baldalot like this.
  19. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Very Active

Much would depend on the price I should think...

Interested in seeing the ‘80’ stock I must say... :thumb:

20. Crash one

Crash one Engaging Member

I once turned a wine glass out of oak, filled it with whiskey and discovered that the grain consists of a series of tubes along the length.
    The damn thing leaked almost a quick as I could drink it!:facepalm: