1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

stock refinishing

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by bolo2, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bolo2

bolo2 Active Member

I was planning on refinishing a stock with birchwood casey stock kit but have been read on the net that when refinishing a stock you should use pre stain otherwise the stain goes blotchy and just wanted opinions on it before I start restaining and if it should be used were I can get it thanks

2. Shropshire Shooter

Shropshire Shooter Well-Known Member

I've refinished a few stocks, read loads about it - and I've never heard of "pre stain". An oil-based stain may lift out giving a patchy finish unless it's allowed to dry VERY thoroughly before you start to apply the stock oil.

What's the stock made of? Walnut's a lot easier to work with, but if you're patient and careful you can get a lovely oil finish on beech (although some people would say otherwise).

3. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

The Birchfield Casey stains work fine, give it a couple of coats to get the colour depth you require then allow it to dry thoroughly before giving it another rub down, the grain will rise a little due to the water based stain.

Be careful if finishing with Tru-Oil, it has to be applied very carefully and rubbed lightly between coats, it must be cleaned thoroughly between coats with care taken not to rub it through to the wood again - very easily done!

It will leave a high gloss finish, personally I didn't like it and just walnut oiled over the stain. (top stock in picture)

Attached Files:

4. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

I did a beech stock I found on ebay couple of weeks ago, stripped, 001.jpg then used Colron indian oak wood dye
    004.jpg I then used ccl oil, letting each coat dry thouroughly, at least 24 hours. then finished with couple of coats of tru oil, again drying out between coats. As Stevo says, very light coats. It's time consuming but worth it in the end. 001.jpg I was after something darker than normal Beech colours, and I think the African oak is a little different. Thanks for looking and hope you get sorted. :up: Alan.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

Love the grain on top stock Stevo, very nice.

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Thanks mate, was admiring your stock too, love that colour stain! :up:

7. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I'm going to do this on a s200 I think as not a fan of beech but that looks stunning, I tried it on an xocet with walnut stain but that looked shizz, waste of days of wet and dry :(
    Thanks for sharing

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
  8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Already posted this a couple of times so sorry if anyone's bored of seeing it, but there seems to be quite a lot of threads on finishing beech stocks recently. Here's my recently finished Superstar. Beech stock, Indian rosewood stain, Danish oil finish.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Dammit!!! I was going to do that, but I choose walnut stain and it looked crap.
    Thanks for sharing too, it a stain or a stain/varnish that people are using?

10. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

Using a "dye" rather than a "stain" gives a much more uniform covering, and is quicker and easier to apply:)[​IMG]

11. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

That's interesting, what do you finish off with after the Dye application?
    Dag

12. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Mine was a dye. Didn't know they were better than stains to be honest but I had a whole selection of colours from previous projects. Funny enough my last one was walnut. Came up beautifully, though to be fair I added a splash of dark oak as the walnut was a little light. Was that the issue on yours?, or just didn't stain evenly?

13. alb38

alb38 Engaging Member

[​IMG] I got one of these CCL gun stock oil kits. I heard it was better than tru- oil, but all down to application I think.

14. bolo2

bolo2 Active Member

Thanks for the replys everyone hopefully get it done this weekend

15. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Really nice!

I prefer the stocks on my guns to be tactical for use in the field but I have either beech or walnut spares that I like to keep nice, When I have the time I plan to build a nice presentation rack to mount the guns on the wall in their splendid wooden overcoats. when not in use regularly.

I really like the finish you've achieved with this gun, I have a nice beech stock ready prepared for my Ultra and will attempt to recreate the look of your gun!

Thanks for sharing.

16. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

North Bristol, South Gloucestershire (Thornbury)
    Look at one of my past threads. I restored a stock from scratch for the first time. I used a bnq walnut stain for it. Perfect colour.

17. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Perfect timing this thread. Ive used Truoil in the past and if you want a deep high gloss finish like glass its perfect. Only trouble is it would not stand up to heavy use or in the field. So now I have a Meteor I want for regular use which Im restoring. Thoughts so far are Birchwood Casey walnut stain as i have some spare followed by a polyurethane or acrylic satin varnish (dont want high gloss). Another option Ive read about but not seen any guidance on application is an oiled finish (dont know what sort of oil) but only 2 or 3 coats followed up with bees wax. Any one tried either of those?

18. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

I returned an old bsa meteor stock I used a gel stain and danish oil the gel stain was easy to use and gave a nice evening colour

Attached Files:

19. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Very nice mate, looks rich in colour

20. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I used Birchwood Casey stuff on the stovks of my HW80 and HW97:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, sorry for the repeat posting - they've been around a bit!

I think that the B and C stuff works pretty well, especially if you're after a one-stop refinish. I've also done the stock of an old Webley and Scott .410, for which I used Liberon oak stain and then a single coat of finishing oil, which looked pretty good.