1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Sterrrrrrike!

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by sneakysniper, Jul 10, 2014.

1. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Yes i am on strike today. Now i have been watching the news and it is making me angry listening to some of the crap being spouted by the government.

I am also forming an opinion that the BBC for some reason have become quite "Tory" the last few months.Slagging unions/strikes, constantly progress chasing rises to the interest rates etc.

Just how Camermoron can spout one day that the country is recovering and wages are increasing/ people are better off etc i do not know. Years of pay freezes followed by an up to 1% pay "rise" does not mean people, mostly the governments own people, are better off. I guess he means his mates in the private sector.

What with getting rid of the health and safety "red tape" (for red tape read cost to business and employee safety) and free employment tribunals, he's really helping employees.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Good work - I was only thinking this morning how much I support those in your position :up:

It's absolutely disgusting how the government consistently under-fund the public sector while using their control of the media to spin the situation; vilifying the workers and distracting from the massive cronyism and disgusting payouts in the private sector. Obviously the end goal is to destroy public sector services since those who can afford private healthcare and education have no use for them, while Censored public services serve to keep the great unwashed subservient and in the gutter where they belong :rolleyes:

I'd personally welcome far more action like this if it led to a fairer deal for those who actually keep the country running on a daily basis.. although sadly I suspect it will just be another constant struggle against persistent attempts by the government to erode and undermine those it's supposed to serve :rolleyes:

3. Brittleview

Brittleview Well-Known Member

Cameron....they ruined a perfectly good bum when they put teeth in his mouth. Comes out with same old mantra and rhetoric, knowing that litany will eventually get people to believe its truth He's only interested in preserving the interests of his Bullingdon chums. The only people to have benefited out of this government are the rich.

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

You all bitch and moan about the party in power. But it was not so long ago labour bankrupt the country. So whoever is in power they are never going to make everybody happy.
    Im self employed that's my choice, I have to make my own living and provide for my retirement, if I don't work or I'm ill, I have to deal with it and not be paid. Were as the public sector get paid whatever. That's fine by me but striking it a dose not affect the government that much it's affects the guy who has to take a day off the look after his kids.
    As far as I'm concerned take you day off but it just you just make more enemies than friends.

Andrew

5. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

But then people who have to take a day off may/should complain to the MP's who will then MAYBE think about trying to avoid strikes, instead of just refusing to even consider some sort of agreement?

6. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

MAYBE some people should feel lucky to have a reasonable secure job and not ask for a pay rise, or failing that become an MP so that you can change the system for all your fellow colleges.

I shall bow out now, as I feel my options are very different to yours and go fishing. Have a good day off the sun is shinning.

Andrew

7. Barni

Barni Donator

Funny how MPs seem to get their pay rise to go through ! I took a 10% pay cut about five years ago as the company were in trouble . I've still not had a pay rise since !
    Anyway fairplay to those on strike , about time the government realise that we need to be paid fairly too

Atb

8. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Not ask for a pay rise? Do you mean EVER?
    Also, i'm guessing you will probably say at some point that if we don't like it, leave and go self employed like you are/have?
    I will pop up the fire station, council office and the local hospital now and get every firefighter, nurse, ambulance technician and council worker to ALL go self employed as a plumber or something.
    I'm not quite sure what will happen then though when someone's house catches fire, or we need to go to hospital for some reason or want our rubbish collected do you??

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Though I can sympathise with the public sector workers getting in effect a pay decrease over the past few years, what I find amazing is the inefficiency of some of the departments … just had a mate of mine ranting to me over the phone about how he spent 1 ½ hours travelling to sign on at his job centre (he’s very rural and has to rely on the cr*p bus service) to find that it’s shut today because of the strike action … so now he’s £9.50 out of pocket for the simple reason that some twonk at the office couldn’t be bothered to pick up the phone and cancel his appointment. To say that he’s not feeling very sympathetic towards those on strike today is putting it mildly, especially when they appeared to be having a laugh at those people turning up to sign on and not showing any sympathy whatsoever !!!

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

And what's the common factor here? The government. There's no real difference between the three main parties, and while that system continues the only people who'll be kept happy by their policies are them and their cronies.

When it's boiled down do you really think it's fair that public sector workers have to take a real-world reduction in wages (below-inflation pay increase) in the name of austerity, when that austerity is the result of the government p*****g away the public coffers into bailing out the banks?

Effectively that's condoning the idea that a nurse paid £20k a year to carry out an important duty of care towards the vulnerable (and ultimately wade around in other people's p**s, Censored and vomit) shouldn't have a £600 pay rise, so that a banker already on hundreds of thousands - or even millions - of pounds a year can get a bigger bonus. Who is of more worth to society? Who deserves the money more - the altruistic, caring and giving or the greedy, selfish and exploitative?

Yes, and hopefully by opening the eyes of the bloke who has to stay at home to look after his kids, make him realise the value of the people he's allowing the government to Censored on and actually do something about it.

Unless you're a selfish multi-millionaire, the public sector workers aren't the enemy - the government are; regardless of which party flag they fly.

11. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Well tell him to ring Frances Maude mate, he was just giving a statement in parliament saying ALL the jobcentres are open?

12. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Fair play to all the lads and lasses that are on strike but one day strikes are not working if your going to have a strike then have a real one.....Camerloon is just nailing the working folk to the floor

13. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Exactly, Frances Maude in his statement to parliament was also slagging the low turnout for the vote, but apparently he was voted in as an MP on just 36%.
    They are trying to wear everyone down, it's been 4 long years now and people will struggle to strike the longer it goes on and that is what they are counting on.

14. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I was going to say the very same thing tbh, I'm self employed heating engineer and since the recession started I've had nearly all my customers vanish ,my work load at the minute is about 1 to 2 days a week (if I'm lucky), last year I had about 30 days work and the year before I had no work for the whole year,,,,so I'm now sitting at home with little lukey because the school is shut because of a strike, well I I'm totally Disgusted ,I too have a mortgage ,two young kids, a van to run and a family car, all the same bills as you strikers have and loads more(GAS SAFE REG, ALL THE WORK INSUREANCES ) so GROW UP ,GET IN THE REAL WORLD AND GET ON WITH IT, FEEL LUCKY YOU HAVE A JOB A HOME ETC, because I still don't know IF I will be be albe to keep mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Egg

Egg Major Poster

My wholehearted support to all those workers taking action today. Withdrawal of labour is one of the rights and freedoms we have in our society and the continued ability to legally exercise this right should be applauded.

16. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Does this strike affect you directly Egg, are your kids at home, have you lost a days wages?
    I agree that people should have the right to strike, but the strike should not hit the people that are on lower wages and struggling more than any teacher i know.
    If they are going to strike then do it full time so it affects everyone in the country that has children, it would grind the country to a halt within a couple of days if the thousands of parents can't get to work, the government would have to do something then.
    Don't keep doing it one day here and one day there, teachers can absorb that loss but the low paid minimum wage earners can't.

17. Egg

Egg Major Poster

This one? No, but me, my family and my friends have been affected by different industrial action in the past in the same way that other people and their families have been affected by industrial action I have taken part in.

If I said that I didn't agree with the right to withdraw labour by the people doing it today I'd be a hypocrite and going against my principles, I also agree with the reasons behind the strike hence my support for their action.

As to loss of pay - that's a choice made by the person striking. If they go against their trades union's advice to strike and go to work regardless then they still get paid. If the strike, they don't.

18. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

this right here is what's wrong with the UK today, if your not happy p**s off , there loads of other people willing to do your jobs, striking is just like a baby crying to its mum to get its own way, if you ask me the government are mad to give in to these demands , its nothing more the hijacking the country, sack, sack'em all :mad:

19. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

I've been on strike several times, but it's a failure of management IMO. No one wants to strike but it seems to take that sometimes to be taken seriously. What happens is negotiations break down (brinkmanship), strike is called, most times its called off as both sides renegotiate or they renegotiate after the strike. I always say do the deal before the strike cos we're gonna do a deal eventually. Not convinced that politicians are the best people to run a health service. No reason for it. They don't run shops or farms do they? Take the party politics out of healthcare.

20. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Good comeback.
    Striking is the last action taken, due mostly to the governments lack of willingness to have any meaningful negotiation despite the rubbish they come out with. Either my union or the government are lying and i know which one i'd rather believe even if i wasn't a member.

I take it you are good at your job? Well so am i. We'll all "p**s off" then or get sacked like you suggest. What will you do then? Like i mentioned above, when your house is on fire, or do you want some person who can hardly speak English diagnosing your illness/teaching your kids, or having to speak to someone in India about your tax/vat etc?

Are you self employed, if so have you put your prices up in the last 4 years, or do you intend not charging a higher price to your cutomers over the NEXT 4 years?