1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Sterling HR81 .22 stripdown

Discussion in 'Technical' started by paulnewman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. paulnewman

paulnewman Member

hi

i am new to forum & not uploaded before so i could not upload my written info made? however, having bought one of the sterling hr81 a little while ago as it seemed a nice unusual gun, i then needed to find out how to strip and maintain it, but found nothing, i trusted myself to have ago as i have taken apart my hw97 many times & this is what i came up with & hope it helps some of you like me

also i have pic of stock/trigger guard & written info on new thread.

pauln

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    talent likes this.
  2. paulnewman

paulnewman Member

sterling hr81 .22 strip update

hi

written info i made as i went through hr81 .22 stripdown, but i cannot accept responsibilty for any errors made in this stripdown, at your risk!
    however it seemed to work for me after some thought. please read this through 1st before attempting. see other pics already on earlier thread.
    (have slightly changed wording on cylinder removal to try & make it clearer)

stock removal

1. unscrew the 2 front side hex screws and remove washers from outer wooden stock sides. But, do not overtighten the screws upon refitting as the underlever arm will fowl the screws which can go through the side securing plates too much.
    2. trigger guard: unscrew front short wood screw & very long rear screw

trigger and sear

1. viewing the trigger assembly, punch out the 2 pins holding the front sear and rear trigger area. the trigger holds a lower springwhich simply rests on the base of the cylinder, with a grub screw adjuster inside the trigger for this spring.
    2. now ease out the front sear & its return spring, this long spring fits inside the welded section of the trigger frame and rests against the rear face of the sear, note which way round the sear goes!
    3. the sear is also adjustable, use the other grub screw within the trigger which faces the sear

underlever removal

1. orientate the gun barrel facing to your left, front sight nearest to you, at rear sight weld area. this large screw head is then unscrewed as this is an inner screw to the main pin screw locking the pin which once removed the main pin is unscrewed to remove.
    2. this main arm has 2 inner thin washers either side of the side plate.
    3.drift out & remove lower arm pivot pin, then the lower lever can be eased away from the slot in the piston.

main cylinder to barrel removal

1. now hod the gun barrel upright, view the cylinder top end, located hear are 2 large hex nuts to remove as they hold the upper & lower parts of the main cylinder & barrel assembly together.
    2. once removed the barrel & cylinder are seperated from one another as individual units.
    3. do not loose the small silicone seal washer from the cylinder upper port.

barrel & bolt knob removal

1. the back end of the barrel section is held in a vice (carefully) to help unscrew the back end of the bolt/probe assembly
    2. once off look inside the back of the bolt probe to see a small grub screw, undo this. this fixes the bolt knob.
    3. next, take note of the orientation of the bolt probe as the air venting from the cylinder must line up correctly when the probe is refitted.
    4. unscrew the bolt knob, be aware the probe has a large return spring & could pop out suddenly (mine did not)
    5. remove probe, spring & check the end small silicone seal at the front end.

main cylinder & piston removal

1. NOTE: the main spring has a very strong preload!!! carefully place the end back screw plug of the cylinder (trigger direction) into a vice to hold very secure.
    2. now unscrew the main part of the cylinder slowly to release the thread /spring tension which can be very sudden when it releases (4 - 5 treads on mine)
    3. when spring is released, take out of vice. back section contains main spring complete with guide, then push out cylinder.
    4. to remove the leather washer/seal, place the piston in vice so as to access the end 2 holes to unscrew with long nose pliers.

reverse proceedure to carefully put gun back together

NOTE: to get the spring/piston back into the cylinder, i pushed against a wall with a cloth at the back threaded plug
    and pushed hard against the wall with the cylinder & turned it into the thread plug that way, as the vice may not hold it securely enough!!

regards

paul (buckley wood airgun club, devon)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    Paul Chell and talent like this.
  3. onestepbeyond

onestepbeyond Member

It helped me :). Thanks mate.

4. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

A Titan No6 spring can replace the original should one be needed. I have one fitted in mine.
    Should you not be able to undo the piston seal from the end, it can be released from the inside with a long hex key or hex bit on an extension driven by a ratchet if it is to tight. This i how I had to do mine.

Brian

5. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

I stripped and internally restored my neighbours HR81 a while back. The new spring was quite a job to get in, but it certainly improved matters, taking the gun from a measly 6 ft/lbs to 10.4 ft/lbs. I also made up a 0.25 ptfe inner bush/liner for the rear half of the spring as it was quite loose on the guide, and also a conventional 0.25 ptfe liner for the inside of the piston.
    I also polished up the trigger sears as best as I could, which inproved the trigger a fair bit.

After it all went back together it shot with a nice "Thonk" rather than the massive "Twang" of before. It shoots rather nicely now and my neighbour is pleased as punch! I thought it was quite accurate?

6. jeremy

jeremy Posting Addict

very well written, well done that will help others a lot, that is what this forum is all about well done and welcome

7. Dean fellows

Dean fellows Newbie

Hi new to this I have just bought 3 rifles from an elder gentleman moving house 2 of them work perfect but the best of the bunch is the hr81 very clean and a nice looking rifle but here we have a problem I popped in a pellet cocked it and fired and nothing so I got a knitting needle and the pellet came out well 2 so I just thought it had jammed but that would be too easy so I’ve stripped it this afternoon and I think the end of the piston has come off and the bottom of the spring guide now there is some thread showing and wondering if the end screws on and if any one knows it would be a massive help because I can get some threaded bar to remove the part but if not dose anyone know how to remove regards

8. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Like a pratt I swapped my HR81 years ago for a cra**y Gamo 1200 pump action Co2 rifle, Must have been barmy, I can't even recall what I did with the Spanish lump of scrap!! :oops:

John..

9. Brock1Rgj

Brock1Rgj Posting Addict

Madness ...sheer madness .You'll never get over that you know .

SlugFest likes this.
  10. kt83

kt83 Posting Addict

Cock the rifle and return the underlever first before operating the bolt and inserting pellet in breech otherwise you are fighting against a vacuum.
    Same applies to other tap, rotary breech type rifles.