1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Steiner Scopes

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Eglwyseg, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

1. Eglwyseg

Eglwyseg Member

For a variety of reasons I am considering upgrading the scope on my HW100 which presently has a low value generic scope 3-9 X 40.

This afternoon I found myself looking at Steiner scopes with a 56 mm objective lens. I believe it is their Ranger series.

Question? Cost apart, yes, they are very expensive but are these scopes suitable for my sub 12 ft/lb PCP air rifle HW100?

Has anyone experience of these scopes?

J

2. jesim1

jesim1 Donator

I'm not familiar with these, but after a quick look at the specs they are not suitable for sub 12fpe air rifles as they only parallax from 50m+, so they are not designed for close use and more for FAC at several hundred metres.

Optics are a personal choice, a rough rule of thumb is spend 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the gun, a good scope by that standard would be in the £250 to £400 price range including things like Hawke Sidewinders/Airmax and Nikko "Stirling" offerings.

With air gun scopes you could spend thousands on a top end scope and never be able to tell the difference at UK legal air gun ranges, but if you have the cash then why not? (but not the ones your looking at!) It's also worth pointing out that IMO scopes are getting better and cheaper, stuff I would not have bothered with 5 years ago is creeping up in quality, and now some of the "crap from China" is now quite usable:oops: Have a look through it and look at the specs, but a lot of the money is in light transmission and repeatability of the clicks along with holding zero - you cant tell this looking at it, but the more expensive ones are considerably better in that area.

James

milek likes this.
  3. Eglwyseg

Eglwyseg Member

Thank you James. I've always understood parallax error in photography but like many shooters, I assume, I'm not too sure what it means in rifle scopes. It would appear the error can be corrected over a certain distance and as you say in the case of the Steiner Range scopes not till over 50 metres. In photography we used to correct parallax error *up to* about 40 feet then after that anything beyond was considered infinity so therefore not considered a problem? Applying this Steiner scope to my HW100 I thought as long as I zeroed in at say 25 metres on the elevation then that is all I would need do. However after reading other forums, though I haven't posted this question elsewhere, the view seems to be for sub 12/ft/lbs I already have the perfect scope 3-9 X 40, to remind you again.

One of my reasons for wanting another scope, I have been a lifelong shooter but now find my eyesight degraded to a point I'm having problems discerning the target. Sadly, corrected vision with spectacles or contact lenses are of no use when cataract sets in. Probably need a visit to the optician and have the cataract removed. Many have said, it's like having their sight back after the operation so perhaps that would be my best route before lashing out dollops of money on new scopes.

Cheers

JH

4. jesim1

jesim1 Donator

Hi

Think of parallax correction as "focus", so if a scope does not parallax below say 50m then it's always going to be out of focus at air gun ranges, so useless to us guys.

AO - Adjustable Objective, or SF - side focus, are the ways in which any scope fitted with these adjustments allows you to accurately focus the image regardless of magnification, and in air gun friendly scope it's from around 9m/10yards to infinity.

Something like these would give you a big leap in clarity and usability, you can spend as much as you like, but most scopes would be an upgrade from what you have now, especially due to your eyes, you can also save by going second hand, and the AO versions are cheaper than the SF versions:

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/hawke-vantage-4-12x40-ao-mil-dot-rifle-scope/

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/hawke-vantage-sf-ir-4-16x50-10x-half-mildot-riflescope/

These are just examples, but the more you pay the better the quality/image and repeatability and hold of the zero - so a £100 is way better than a £30 scope, but not 3x as good if you get me?

Best thing to do is go to a range or gun shop and get a look through a few as everyone has a personal preference with scopes.

I hope that clarifies things a bit?

James

5. Geezer

Geezer Busy Member

Wow. Going from a “generic” (by which I assume cheap, maybe unbranded, £20-50) scope to a Steiner (£800) is the equivalent of going from an Argos bicycle to a Honda Fireblade.

As James says above (I’d quibble with his definition of parallax as about focus, but, basically, the difference from photography is that cameras don’t have reticles - parallax error is not about focus as much as having a reticle that is actually on target, not just looks like it is on target, when it isn’t; it’s complex, and hard to explain), there are loads of scopes in the £100-200 range that are excellent on air guns at air gun ranges.

I am not an eye doctor, but have known a few people with cataracts. I doubt that even the finest glass known to man can counteract the effect of eye problems.

6. Rm29

Rm29 Currently obsessed with silencers

If your having problems with your eyes possibly cataracts go to your optician. They will refer you to hospital. Do you have problems with glare at night?

If it is cataract and they are causing you issues it will be removed.