1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

staying inside the law

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by keat63, Jun 24, 2012.

1. keat63

keat63 Member

if the weight and i guess quality of a pellet can affect the output of a rifle how on earth could you fall foul of the law.
    lets say you fine tune with a piston weight and nylon bushes etc, which could potentially push you oer 12 ftl/lbs.
    how would the authorities measure you.
    my Bsa supersport has official figures between 9 and 11.5 ft/lbs depending on which pellet is used.
    so if i fine tune, and use one pellet, i would be inside the law, but outside with another.
    like probably most airgun owners, i dont have a chrono.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

If the gun is over with whatever pellet the police test it with then its illegal except in some cases when the owner can prove they only use 1 type of pellet

3. pilki

pilki Guest

It is not the pellet that is measured it is the power of the gun which must not be more than 12ft/lds using any pellet

4. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

the police will use pellets of differing weights to test your gun,with a pcp heavier pellets give a higher ft/lb,not a higher fps.so if you are at 11.8 f/p with a 16 gr pellet,when tested with a 21gr pellet you will be over the 12 f/p limit.You should chrono your gun with the heavier pellet to say 11.6 f/p then lighter ones will be ok.You should get a chrono £40 delivered is nothing compared to the fine,criminal record and possible imprisonment.It is your responsibility to have your gun below the legal limit of 12f/p,if the power loss bothers you use a heavier pellet,it's not worth the risk as ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law..not saying you are ignorant sorry if you thought that it's just a saying.
    andy.

5. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

yes i know the supersport is not a pcp,just giving the example for a pcp,with a springer it's the other way round i think lighter is more f/p i'm sure someone will confirm/deny this.It's late and i have a caffine rush :rolleyes:
    andy.

6. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I usually just tune my gun to 11.7 with bisley mags, then try a few more out in it and non go over 11.7.
    There probably as heavy a pellet you can use in a sub 12ftlb air rifle before the power actually starts to decrease.

7. Samon

Samon Donator

has anyone ever had their gun chronoed by the Police? or does anyone know of soemone who has??

I do not think I have ever ever heard of it being done..

8. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

When Simon the Air Gun Doctor sets rifles, he uses the SAME chrono the Police use. He will set a rifle with Bisley Mags (in a PCP) to be no more than 11.8ft/lbs.
    He will use AA fields, to set Springers to around 11.4ft/lbs. I know, I sit on the computer when he is doing it.
    He will also supply you with a printed read out of the results if you ask.
    0.1 over the 12 is illegal!

9. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

The power law is a complete mess. As it is written and if taken literally (as all good laws should be) every airgunner in the country is a criminal. In reality there will be some common sense adhered to when the authorities test your gun (or at least we would like to think so) there is no standard test and they can test your gun to whatever specifics they believe is personally correct.

To make things worse they don't have to explain exactly how they come to their conclusions so in court you couldn't question their methods. A total mess of a law that no one really understands fully as the details aren't covered

But if you used a reasonably heavy, medium and light pellets and tried them all and they all stayed under 11.5fpe you can safely say your safe

Please tell me what chrono the police use.... It is my understanding that there is no standard test or equipment and different parts of the country will have their own system

10. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

He uses the same one Staffordshire Police use. It is a SKAN and to buy it new is around £1000 - £1500. I don't know the model number etc...

11. keat63

keat63 Member

I'm currently servicing mine, (its celebrating it's 20th birthday).
    I'm replacing the spring back to stock with no other mods, so should be within the law.

12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

This has gone on and on, there is no standard test procedure, indeed at least one of the more pro active testing laboratories have been proven to have raised the power limit on guns by tampering!

13. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Busy Member

This has been discussed on a couple of other forums recently (though one has now censored the thread and removed it, guess which one). It is not just what a rifle produces now, it is what it is capable of producing as well. As above, there are reports that some labs have been found to tamper with rifles to increase the power to an illegal level and thus gain a conviction. Remember the labs are paid by the police to produce evidence for a prosecution, not to produce an independent assessment.

14. Uriel

Uriel Engaging Member

And further to this, the police's job is to put people in jail.

15. Rodders66

Rodders66 Engaging Member

That's the problem in this country they use what ever pellets they they feel like where as some countries use a certain weigjt pellet.

16. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

There are several well documented cases of people being successfully prosecuted for over power guns. In most, though certainly not all, cases some other crime was committed to bring the owner to light. There have been a few cases recently of guns seized on rather spurious accusations then adjusted to be just over. There is well documented evidence of police labs ripping guns apart and modifying them to obtain an over power reading. In one case the modifications involved removing parts from the gun that would render it useless for the purpose of hitting anything but did make it produce 30 ft/lb (in a massively inconsistent way).

There can be no more pressing matter for airgun users than a standardised test though I'll exempt Scottish airgunners from that statement for obvious reasons. They have a bigger fish to fry.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  17. pilki

pilki Guest

2xweight=2xenergy 2xspeed= 4xenergy

18. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

What?

19. yojimbo

yojimbo Busy Member

I guess it means doubling the weight, doubles the power whereas doubling the speed, quadruples the power, whether its true and what the relevance is i don't know,

So basically if the police have a hard on for a conviction, your gun becomes magically over powered.... So it seems you dont really need to worry unless you have actually been quite naughty anyway.

20. pilki

pilki Guest

if you double the weight of a pellet and the speed is the same the energy doubles
    if you double the speed of a pellet the energy is 4 times higher