1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Starting out

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by RyRy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Hi,

For a while now I've wanted to take up air rifle shooting for both target practice and vermin control. I've been doing research on air gunning in general for a while now including laws and guidelines etc.
    I've fired air rifles before but never actually owned my own. I'm far from an expert shot but I wouldn't class myself as a novice either. Looking for a rifle to start me out as I have a four month straight period coming up before I start my basic training for the army and I need something to keep me going. I'm going to be staying at my girlfriends during that time (dads been posted to Germany again so I'm staying over here to save going over to come back again) and she lives in the middle of a countryside surrounded by fields so air gunning seems like the perfect pass time.
    I'm currently looking at getting either the Gamo Shadow DX .22 with a 3-9x40 scope or a Gamo Whisper X .22 with said scope as well. I'm aware both rifles will have their ups and downs but I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion on either rifle or whether I should go for a different one altogether?

Many thanks (sorry for the essay),

Ryan.

2. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi Ryan. Welcome along to THE forum. Not much of a Gamo fan myself, why not a BSA Ultra, or an AAS410 both good to start you off into this great sport. atb Paul.

3. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Thank you. I'd love to spend more on a rifle, but due to the move, last night was my last shift at work and therefore my wage at the end of this week will be the last till I manage to find something else to keep me going for four months (job was working on the base I live currently and as of next week I'd have no way of getting here so had to pack it in unfortunately). So on a bit of a budget at the moment, although not to the extent that I'll end up getting something that will fall apart after it's seen a few hundred pellets.

Thank you again though and I'll keep those rifles in mind in case I decide to splash a little more cash!

Ryan

4. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Loving the Dukes motto at the bottom as well but it's Virtutis (;

5. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

That's what it says Virtutis!!!! ex duke.

6. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Me Dad's Dukes, well, 1 Yorks now.

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, as you mentioned on a 4 month before training if your hunting most who use springers think a silencer as norm so i would look at the shadow RSV and with cheapy scope which i am sure is ok, if those you mention have have a silencer and better scope try out both and see what fits best. i first started again with a gamo underlever and they are ok even better with a tune up. another to look at is a CZ slavia 634 but you would need scope and silencer these a well made air rifles and full power. at about £200 then scope £50 and a matt 975 (forum member) silencer £38, some RFDs dont stock these though. you could also look at a few other makes that come complete like a crosman venom, hatsan 85XTH but requires scope. SMK XS20 or STOEGER X20OS combo. good luck and for army training to.

8. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Yeah the whisper comes with a built in suppressor as standard and I'm swaying more towards that one because of this. Both come as a combo with scopes, worst case scenario further down the line, if need be, I'll get a better scope. Not looking at starting out too fancy as I'd like the experience behind the trigger first. Reviews on both guns seem fairly sound, but I suppose everyone would blow the trumpet for a rifle especially if they're advertising it for money haha. Thank you for the advice and thanks for the luck!

Ryan

9. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I have the Whisper IGT, the silencer is not particularly silent, just less loud.

Without the silencer fitted it is probably twice as loud as normal springers. That's probably why it's on the rifle as standard.

Again, pretty good gun for the price.

10. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Is that the rocket IGT bull whisper as opposed to the whisper x? Have you had any dramas with it other than it not being so silent? Literally just a toss up between wether I'll need a silencer or not at the moment. Also been looking at the IGT bull whisper but it comes with the 4x32 scope whereas the other two come with the 3-9x40. Will this make much of a difference, I.e would I end up just getting a higher powered scope for the IGT in the long run anyway?

Thanks

11. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

When I brought the rifle it was called Whisper IGT, basically the same as the Whisper X, but gas ram not spring powered.

The rifle is fine, my only criticism would be the cocking effort on the IGT is consistently hard where as spring powered generally start easy and get progressively harder. My wife cannot even cock the gun although her springer she has little problem with.

Shooting wise, it's accurate and fires consistent 9.8 ft lbs with very little variation.

I would say if you can only afford the Whisper go for it but if you can outlay a bit more go for a Air arms TX200 or a pcp S400, twice the price but more than twice as good.

12. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Ah I see fair one, I'm guessing the Bull whisper IGT will be the latest model to it then. Does the IGT make much of a difference?
    The shadow X seems like a fairly decent rifle and I'm guessing in the long run, if need be, I can get a silence that would fit it?
    Yeah money is the main issue at the moment to be fair. As soon as I've joined up and I'm earning enough to put more than bread and butter on the table I'll definitely upgrade to a decent PCP (and when I've got a bit more experience). I had a few shots the other day with a PCP and an SMK XS20 to compare it to (no points for guessing which I'd choose if money wasn't an option) and the PCP was so smooth to fire with

13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Fair play to Natgun for telling it how it is :up:

Best thing you can do IMO is to totally ignore Gamo - IME they're all grossly overpiced, substandard rubbish and a complete waste of money. You'd be far better off spending your money on something Turkish or used and German / British ;)

14. RyRy

RyRy Donator

This is why I wish money wasn't a big factor to play in this at the moment unfortunately. I'd choose something British or German straight away otherwise. In the long run I'll be able to spend more money. But as it stands I'm pretty much looking at spending around £200 (including a scope). I know this doesn't open me to many options but at the moment it's just trying to work out which of the few that are affordable tick all the boxes.

15. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

Yer spelt it wrong

16. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Not the only one that noticed then

17. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

If it was me I would be looking at a better quality second hand rifle rather than a new Gamo for the money you want to spend. A quick look at the For Sale board on here has a HW35 or a Webley Stingray or a Webley & Scott Eclipse for around the same money. And they all come with scopes.

18. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Cheers, I'll get on the laptop when I get in and have a proper gander like.

19. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Thanks for the advice so far

20. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

my choice would be a used HW99 & scope - you'll pick up a nice one for £200