1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Starting A Club: Whats Involved?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by RichieRich, Jun 12, 2019.

1. RichieRich

RichieRich Pew Pew

Morning all

After some wisdom from those that have set up their own club. I have the possibility of starting a shooting club, and need some advice on what is needed to set up.

I've had confirmed the insurance aspect, that will allow shooters to use the premises proposed, however, i will need to undertake the relevant risk assessments and such to ensure every possible precaution is taken. Backdrops i'll need to investigate.

The location will be a large hall within a Social Club. Looking at the dimensions of the hall, it could accommodate approximately 8-10 shooters.
    The hall would be available on an evening for 2-3 hours once a month (possibly twice depending on popularity).

I'm stuck on what to investigate next?

2. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

The 10m club I used to belong to just used wooden frames that held the funnel type pellet catchers in place, one catcher had carpet glued around the outside of the board for newbies to use.
    Afaik it's still how they do it!
    Nothing special.

RichieRich likes this.
  3. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

A decent chrono station to ensure all shooters are legal.
    Good luck.
    Peter.

Pete236 likes this.
  4. Thiel

Thiel Donator

A good compressor or a big 4500psi bottle.
    thats a must have for me if i would consider to be a member in a club.

5. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

Basc do a airgun club safety officer course, it's a one day course and costs £100 for members.
    Its a good course - I did it a couple of weeks ago and it's going to be helpful for our club.

Howlin Wolf and thumbhole like this.
  6. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

First of all it's very exciting. Then you realise what you've done and it becomes a lot of hard work and anxiety.

Dave

thumbhole and Mike.lewis like this.
  7. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

A big bit of wood?

Mr wolf and Tops like this.
  8. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

The first thing to do is remove the word "club" this attracts all kinds of rules and legislation that you don't want the hassle of, unless there is a group of you willing to invest plenty of time.

Petes and Richings Park are "pay and play" for a very good reason, much better to charge guests per visit.

Running a S1 club I can tell you it is extremely time consuming!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jack's Da and sillygarry like this.
  9. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

I am secretary of our "group" its not all that time consuming as its just a group and the premises is rented private land not used for any other function so all that required is individual insurance for each member ....but as your shooting activities take place in a public building you're going to cover so many aspects of public liability and safety aspects its going to get expensive

Spray1Mark likes this.
  10. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

In 2003 I was fortunate enough to be able to convince a grant agency financed by the Lottery to let me have £5000 to start a new club, Shebbear Shooters. To get that grant I had to have several things in place. All the paperwork such as draft constitution, draft set of rules, draft safety policy, a letter from the police saying that they were in support of the venture, a letter from my GP confirming I was of sound mind, an agreement with a landowner to occupy the premises and not for a short period, the backing of the regional field target association. This was to get the money. If the commercial set-up had been on the Pete's farm model I would not have got the money; the fact that this was going to be a democratically run club and the property of the members made the finance possible, and it's made other lines of finance possible since then.

The site you have chosen imposes limits on how many you can accommodate shooting at any one time. I believe you need to create a business plan to show that the venture can and will be commercially sustainable, at rates of subs or hire charges if you choose to go that route that will be adequate to cover your costs and to provide for future investment.

The other aspect to consider - and no offence meant - is your own competence and willingness to manage a club, and to know what size or level of membership you are comfortable with. Sixteen years ago I worked on the basis that Shebbear would need at least 30 paying members to be sustainable, and ideally not more than about 60 or 70 members otherwise I would need to have in place more rigorous procedures and controls. As it is at the moment, if any committee member sees the need to buy a tin of paint for targets or a spare part for one of our three mowers and grass cutters that are in full use at this time of year, they go and buy it and put in an expense claim. With a bigger club we'd have fixed budgets and prior written authorisations to spend the money which lead to delays, and when the grass is growing inches every day you can't afford delays.

You'll need to think through what services and facilities are included in the subs or the range fee, and what things are charged extra. In our case, tea and coffee are on the house so to speak, and so is air. Other clubs charge 50p for a fill, or maybe £1 a day for as many fills as you want.

Also have in mind the culture that you want to adopt. Are you looking for family memberships, plinkers, casual shooters, or are you going for gold and looking primarily to concentrate on success at competitions?

I'd be looking to see security of tenure with the social club; you could do a lot of work making this all happen and if the social club could just give you a week's notice because another user offered a higher hourly rate, it would be more than a great pity.

11. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

I meant to add, I agree that running a S1 club is a substantial job. A club for sub 12fpe air rifles and no FAC guns comes under the radar as far as the police and Home Office are concerned and there is far less paperwork.

Peter Norris likes this.
  12. RichieRich

RichieRich Pew Pew

Thanks for the input so far chaps.

What i would be looking at is sub-6 and 12 air. I realise there is a lot of thought required for this and i'm putting together some info for a proposal to the Social Club committee.
    There wouldn't be any membership as such, probably a pay&play, unless the committee deem otherwise and request an annual sub (currently £5 per year).

I've got a lot to think about :eek:

13. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
    Unless you're in SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!!

14. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

Really excellent posts there! I commend you for having the motivation to pull off such a feat, few understand what is involved even without S1.

We are 108 years old approximately and around 140 members, dwindling over time from 5-600 during the 80's & 90's, our big plus is that we own the land and the freehold on our site in West London and have a chunk of money in reserve.

As you say being at the whim of a local authority escpecially in this hobby is no easy ride!

Current licensing relationships and service are excellent to say the least.

15. thumbhole

thumbhole Posting Addict

Sure is, grass cutting, weed cutting, maintenance, target spraying, target placement and giving up all your spare time.
    Good job we have good helpful members. :thumb:

16. Broadside

Broadside Engaging Member

I don't want to sound smart or anything, but key is to make sure you have the demand. How close is the nearest range/club to you?

17. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

That's quite right, Broadside; we did a trawl of opinion of the local village of about a thousand souls and we had 28 express some kind of interest. In reality we have very few members within say a mile of the ground, but then we are situated in an area of very low population density. One decision we made early on was that we would have to cater for a wide range of shooting interests and if we set out only to do HFT or iron plate pistol or bench rest for example, we'd struggle for numbers.

18. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

Apologies, I was being rather insular. However, the OP comes from County Durham which is a few yards south of the border . . ;)

19. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Very Active

WOW! you actually asked the locals about setting up a gun club? I am surprised you survived!

Of course down there I don't suspect you are surrounded by gang members and liberal leftist lunatics! just sensible folk.

20. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

We did have one objector to our plans; he lived next door to one of the sites we were looking at using. He came round to my house protesting that he wasn't prepared to have me shooting next door to him, he was born here and I wasn't, he had more rights than me etc etc, the anti-incomer tirade I had heard plenty of times before. I asked him why he was so against the idea and he said I don't want you coming round here and shooting my cat. I was a bit short tempered by now so I said did he realise how much effort was going into trying to get this new venture off the ground, and if I really wanted to shoot his cat I wouldn't go through all this, I'd just pop round and shoot it. Now go away, or words to that effect.

When applying for the grant, I said I'd be keen to teach young folk to shoot properly in a controlled environment etc. One lady at the grant office looked at me and said, you mean, you want US to give YOU money so you can buy AIRGUNS for the HOOLIGANS?

So this isn't always an easy path to tread.