1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Starter gun.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Vaisravana, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

Hi, i'm alex.

I've been reg'ed for a few weeks but was just trying to buy secondhand.

It seems now that it would be better to buy new, but beond the fact that I like the look of the s410 and have about £450 to spend i'm not that sure of what to buy.

I've seen to many people who've had chunks cut out of them to be bothered with the spring brake barrels.

I would be greatful for any advice.
    V

2. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Is your budget for gun only or does that need to include a scope and / or charging gear? What do you intend to use the gun for - hunting / FT / HFT / plinking in the garden?

3. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

On a budget of £450 odd you should go for a top quality spring rifle, like an air Arms TX200 or a Weihrauch HW97K - both will leave you plenty of change for scopes and other accessories.

4. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

Yes that does cover scope, bag and charging gear, however I could let the scope wait.
    I think i'll round it up to £500.
    I would use the rifle for mostly plinking but hunting would be on the cards.

From what i've fired before I would prefer a bolt action (and mulitshot but I need to keep the cost down).

Thanks for the replys.

5. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Charging gear = £163. Forget a pump and buy a scuba tank.
    Down to £337 already and a scope and silencer are needed!
    S200 with bum basic scope and silencer and bag = £327.
    Multishot kit can be bought later as funds allow for £62.

Failing that you are looking at secondhand or upping the cash.

Either calibre will do for plinking and hunting. a .22 version will do 60 shots per fill and the .177 will do 40. .177 lead is cheaper and the smaller calibre has a flatter trajectory as it flies 200 fps faster. It's a personal preference thing for your requirements but reports suggest the S200 multishot kit works best in .22. Buy BEFORE October 1st as the VCR bill outlaws online and phone sales after this date so prices will rocket afterwards.

6. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

Living in derbyshire a scuba tank would be hard to get.

Thanks for the advice.

7. Buzz

Buzz Banned

8. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

Thats odd theres no place to dive in chesterfield.

But i'm fine with a pump.

9. Rockford

Rockford Newbie

There's always Queens Park ;)

I should add - there's a diving club that meets at the leisure centre, and plenty of local places to recharge the tanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  10. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

The crick ground?

11. Rockford

Rockford Newbie

Yep - next door to it. The dive club uses the swimming pool for training sessions.

I'm Dean. It looks as though I'm in the same boat as you - new to airgunning, and reading as much as I can before deciding what to buy. Leaning towards a springer at the moment - AA or HW models are on the short list.

12. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

I liked the AA s400 the best out of the rifles I tryed, and the s410 seemed better.

Aside from plinking where is there to go? I know about the clubs south of derby but there seems to be nothing in the north neak of the woods.

I'm from swanwick by the way.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi

TBO youl be very lucky to find a new s410 for £450 you might get just the rifle but that's it.

I think the best option for you may just be to go for a second hand rifle, add an extra £50 to your budget, and you shouldn't have to much trouble finding a good second hand s410 with a scope and silencer fitted.
    And depending on how good your people Skills are you may just get a free low budget gun bag out of it so that you can get your newly acquired rifle home safe and sound ( as i once did when i first bought me first rifle :D).

Now as for the rest of the gear scuba tank or pump, sling and bi-pod etc youl just have to get them at a later date, your main thing is the rifle and scopes! (pellets)

Now there is a down fall to this, and it just means every time you need to refill the rifle you'll have to pop back to the shop you bought the rifle from or any other gun store to fill it, but what else can you do unless you have the tank or pump. Pumps are OK but if the air in a scuba tank is OK for use to breath then its dam well good enough to go in me rifle.

so the best bit of advice i could give you, is to find your nearest gun dealer, tell him what your budget is and the rifle youve got your hart sent on and go from there. who knows you may just end up walking out the shop with a different rifle which you never even thought of getting but it ends up be the right 1 for you.

As it happened to me last week, i when to my local gun shop with my hart sent on getting a BSA super10 BB K, but after having a chat to the gun dealer, and having a look at the super ten he had on display, holding the rifle looking down the scopes and so on, i ended up purchasing a AA s410 .22 Cardin, left hand, silencer, hawke 3-9x44 scope and walnut stock all for £630 and to be honest am glad i bought the AA, am looking forward to getting it at the week end.

I use to have the AA s310 and that was a cracking little number so the s410 should be just as good if not Better!

hope this helps

ATB shadow

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  14. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Exactly :D

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Typo now corrected :p

16. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

;)in my honest opinion the ideal starter gun is a decent springer
    a newbie to the game needs to learn gun control, positioning of
    hands and follow through, anyone can pick a pcp up and start getting good groups ,but try it with a springer and a newbie would have groups
    like a coffee table, buy a springer to start and your overal shooting
    will have a good base to build on....

17. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Yep springers are the way to go for newbies, something like a BSA would do nicely.

18. Rockford

Rockford Newbie

Nearest clubs (AFAIK) are Matlock and Bakewell. I've also heard of one at Eckington, but no further info on that one. Also a place out at Huthwaite called Woodend Farm Complex. Apart from these - plenty of fields - just need to get permission :(

19. Vaisravana

Vaisravana Active Member

Bakewell isn't that far out of my way, i'll ask around.
    Thanks everyone for your advice, i'll consider getting a springer.