1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

....starlings.

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by the logun-ator, Jan 22, 2020.

1. the logun-ator

the logun-ator "can i,? wey aye man!"

No.not shooting them :)
    Sitting in me front garden sipping a cup of tea.there's one 20ft above in a tree.
    Out of all the birds that knock round here they must have the largest selection of "noises" that birds can make.
    They squeak.squark.chirp.warble.wobble.whistle.click it's funny how the older you get the more you enjoy the little things...oh and to top it off it's just pooped on me dog.nice.

Gary Jones, Reevo17, Cinimod and 3 others like this.
  2. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

They are good mimics, not far behind minor birds.

Bb

Felixlogs, SlugFest and Blue BSA like this.
  3. mike-carter

mike-carter Major Poster

In my Wildfowling days you could shoot them. We trained a gun dog (f--king useless thing) by shooting starlings by the bucket load. My garden gate (mate) had a 10g s/s shotgun, one shot and it rained starlings which we tried to get Rex into the water, would he go? like f??k, I ended up throwing the damned dog into the creek, he learnt. Had a hard mouth though, the damned ducks came back half eaten0.
    Why starlings are protected beats the hell outta me.

4. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Keyboard Hero

We had one locally used to sing like a blackbird.

I am glad their numbers are recovering a bit.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    The Ecologist likes this.
  5. Bill.B

Bill.B Busy Member

Recovering a bit?? We’re over run with the flamin’ things where I live year on year, and they nick all the food I put out for the small birds. Also, they’re trying to find nesting places now...under the facia boards on my roof. :facepalm:

foxtrott likes this.
  6. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Resident starlings had a massive decline in numbers, most of the ones we see here are migrants from Eastern Europe that stay for the winter and then leave. Google "murmurations on Somerset Levels", I see that quite often.

7. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

I like all the common birds that frequent the garden (excepting woodies) i have been working in the garden in the last few day and due to the nice weather lots of birds are busy singing and trying to attract a mate really nice to hear...we had a whole flock of long tailed tits in the garden this morning looking for insects must have been at least ten of them not seen that many before.

Blue BSA likes this.
  8. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

We used to have dozens if not hundreds in the garden as a kid, I haven't seen one in my garden for years or anywhere near, I am seeing a lot of finches lately though as I've put feeders out for the small birds and they perch under the bargeboard of my shed roof nipping back and forth to the feeders and they're completely protected from predators above and the rain while they eat and chill.

It's nice, yes funny how you start appreciate the small things as you get older. :up:

Blue BSA, Bill.B and That hurts like this.
  9. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

I appreciate mine every day Steve, despite peeing on four fingers every bloody time :confused:

TORNADOS7 and SteveO like this.
  10. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

I’ve lived where I am now for 20 years and haven’t ever seen one locally. Seems strange as others have said, growing up they were everywhere.

SteveO and Blue BSA like this.
  11. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Cinimod likes this.
  12. the logun-ator

the logun-ator "can i,? wey aye man!"

in my early teens,mid 80's,we used to shoot on the staiths by our local power station.those days you could take our springers anywhere without armed police spoiling it like they would today
    anyhoo,there were some massive cranes there and i poop you not the 'stashys' roosted there ....and there were 1000's infact 10s of 1000s like above vid.there were just a sea of 'stinkers',wave after wave of the b*****s.
    but yea there pretty much gone up this end.we occasionally see the odd lot of the phone lines opposite the old folks homes,like a scene from the film BIRDS.

13. Cinimod

Cinimod Busy Member

One of the best things about Somerset, as a kid I lived out at Huntworth and would see the groups on a regular basis. It's mesmerising watching them with a fab sunset, sometimes there were so many that it definitely change the colour of the sky............dom

14. richos36

richos36 Engaging Member

we've had them nesting in our roof for years house was built in 1890 so no facias to contend with lol

15. Grey Man

Grey Man Busy Member

I grew up in Essex and remember seeing clouds of thousands swirling and swooping around the sky before coming in to roost.

Now if anyone sees a hundred, it's an event.

the logun-ator likes this.
  16. David M

David M Donator

Horrible things that bully other birds away from food and yank others young from nests so they can use it without having to build one themselves. I saw it happen many times in Kent. As a lad in the 70's and 80's, me and my farmer's son mate had the job of shooting them in the barns and around the yard during a lot of our Summer holidays. They would sit and squirt everywhere, worse than feral pigeons and would paint things white like his tractors and combine.

We used to see regular twilight sky patterns before diving to roost around the marshes in Kent certain times of the year, but less in recent years. Here in the Borders they seem more localised, we hardly ever see them around our woodland house but we have seen them swarming before twilight only 8 miles nearer the coast.

17. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

you can see huge murmurations still in essex

18. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Major Poster

Yep, saw one this morning as the light came in at work, about a couple of hundred or so I reckon... :thumb:

19. Rat Man

Rat Man Comfortably Numb

We’ve got loads here. They were in the trees in the garden the other week and I did an audio clip of them on my phone, they were so loud. Very nice to hear and see them.

We’ve got owls, woodpeckers, buzzards and the usual small garden birds around us too. Living alongside farmers fields and orchards helps with the wildlife :)

20. warrenater

warrenater Donator