1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Squirrell pie

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by panic, Nov 24, 2005.

1. panic

panic Member

Does anyone here eat squirrell when they shoot it??
    Our rule for shooting has always been 'if you shoot it, you eat it' , which is why I don't shoot magpies or crows;)

If you do eat it, how do you cook it?Let's share some tasty recipes!!

2. Harkers

Harkers Newbie

I keep meaning too, and since seeing it on "The F word" on Channel 4 last week I really should give 'em a try. Trouble is I've been so busy this year there are hardly any left!

I can cope with taking the breasts of pigeon but preparing a whole squirrel is a different matter!! I went so far as buying a book from amazon "Field dressing and butchering rabbits, squirrels and other small game"!

I think Huw Furnley Whittingstall has some recipies for squirel. I was thinking of a making a "garden pie" and mixing the pigeon and squirrel and maybe some venison. (OK I don't actually get deer in my garden nor shoot them!). I think you need to mix it with some fat like bacon as it is quite dry meat.

I'll definately try the next one. Honest..... :)

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

4. Gerald

Gerald Newbie

Squirrel is good

I take and quarter my squirrel and then brown it in a pan. I take mushrooms and ongion and de-glaze the pan. Either add heavy cream if going to be served with mash potatoes, or make a brown gravy and let them simmer long, till so tender the meat falls off the bone.

Very good.