1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Springers as accurate as pcp's ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hoodster, May 13, 2015.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Until this morning I thought it was no brainer but to my surprise there are shooters who feel a springer is as accurate as a pcp.
    The fact that the best hft/ft scores are nearly always achieved by the open class shooters not the recoiling class says it all really but I'm interested in hearing what the general opinion is on this.

2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

The accuracy is just the same as long as they have the same quality barrel. The difference is in the shooter and the hold, not the gun.

3. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

The barrel on my 97 will squirt a pellet as accurately as my R10.
    However , because I can't hold the 97 in EXACTLY the same way in every position for every shot, (close, but no cigar), the poi is not always where I'd like.
    In short the guns as as accurate as each other, but the shooter isn't as consistent.
    This is magnified in HFT as we can't always get into exactly the same position we zeroed in to take a shot.

ps check out Kyle's springer scores at the hft nationals.

4. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

I agree with Tinbum ... I would only add to Tinbums post by saying .... for the vast amount of people buying guns whether they be newbies or not, a PCP will make most of us look like we have sniper abilities whereas a springer will make us look average.

A good springer for me is a far more enjoyable shooting experience because it feels alive in my hands .... conversely a PCP is clean and clinical but bereft of any charm or character.

Wouldn't be without any of my guns though.

5. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

In my view on the range you may get close with a springer but out hunting you just can't keep your hold consistent so the pcp will always win.
    Cheers Andy

7. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

So opinion is if two rifles have the same barrel they will be as accurate as each other regardless of the power plant ? and recoil doesn't effect accuracy ?
    In my mind being able to get the accuracy out of the rifle and the rifle being capable of the accuracy go hand in hand.

8. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

So if the rifle is capable of the accuracy, and the shooter is skilled enough to utilise that accuracy consistantly, then are you saying that a springer could be as accurate as a PCP? Go on, admit it ;)

9. HWnut

HWnut Busy Member

But it's the gun that requires the shooter and the hold to be perfect? Has any spring FT or HFT shooter scored as much points as a PCP FT or HFT shooter? If yes, then I would let the "it's the shooter not the gun reasoning" count.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Okay I'll admit if a springer was shot by a machine then yes it would be as accurate as a pcp :)
    But we are not machines there fore the pcp is more accurate.

11. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

Only if the machine could account for the recoil ;)

Should we metaphorically shake hands and walk away from this one? haha

12. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

A mate of mine can pop rabbits with his springer further than I can with my pcp, he can also pop rabbits further with my pcp than I can do with his springer!!

so it ain't the type of rifle, it's the shooter:)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  13. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I seen this discussion somewhere before and neglected to comment as it was in a thread where a newbie was confused in his choice of gun, I did however think the thread hijack was impolite and adding somewhat more confusion..

Anyway, I can post in this one:) I shoot a TX200mk3 in .177 and a HW100 in the same caliber. I can shoot both just as accurately over the same distances, however I prefer to shoot the HW on most occasions purely because I enjoy the ease and quality of the experience. The attached is my best so far target shot at 48 yards (no wind) with my TX200 which of course is a springer, will this be good enough or should I also try with the HW, maybe I can do better with the HW, do I want too, well that's another question.

EDIT: As promised, click to enlarge

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

Not for me they aren't. Not consistently anyway.

I prefer springers but I am not blind to their faults.

You only have to alter the angle of the barrel when going from a low shot to a high shot, and the accuracy goes to pieces. And I'm even talking about rested shots.

Love em but can't shoot em for toffee.

15. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

I'm going slightly off topic (ish), but are you adjusting the position / hold with your supporting hand when altering fo the low to high shot? There shouldn't be any difference in accuracy if you're aiming up or down :confused:

16. thumbhole

thumbhole Posting Addict

Just as accurate, its down to the person streering it. :) Recent comp at our club, highest pcp score which was with a mk4 daystate, was equaled by a TX200. The tx beat FTP900s, WH100, HFT500 and All manor BSA R10 Scorpion and New Goldstars etc etc. Enough said. ;)

17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yes both as accurate but the pcp makes it so much easier. The people that hunt with a spring gun in preference to a pcp because they prefer the recoil and challenge to me are not being fair to their quarry. Yes it can be done I did for many years through 70's and 80's but For me if out hunting you should make it as simple and clinical as you possibly can for your quarry's sake. I own three spring guns and one pcp. The spring guns are for fun and a challenge on inanimate targets the pcp a best tool for the job of hunting.

18. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

20. Dag

Dag Very Active