1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Springer tunning advise needed

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by dave goodall, May 17, 2014.

1. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

After finding myself the owner of a original mk1 hw77k springer something i thought would never happen been of the age it is descided to clean it up abit but stuck with threads on diff tunning kits at min its firing blue smoke out the end of the barrel so descided to strip and degrease ect now ive only got the trigger unit out at min stock off fied sights off ect but once im in would like to deal with everything in one go.

Now im first to admit when it comes to springers i no near enough nothing was looking for a tx but took a chance on a hw after reading nothing but praise about these old guns so question is if to buy a tunning kit again no nothing about this after reading alot about sleaving buttoning ect short stroke ect pretty much lost with it all is there any real diffrence in venom vmach welsh willy or tinbum.

Been around pcps enough to no that lads will follow the trend with like of tuners from ben taylor phild kevg ect but myself always seen these as a waste of cash as a pcp usally only takes pennys worth of orings and prices verying from obscene amounts to beer money so question is is there any real diff to the likes of tinbums to vmac apart fom price and a logo sticker

Also is there anything you can just do your self in tunning a springer apart from obvious things like degreasing and polishing as i say i no nothing about these guns apart from what si the robin as told me on our range days but intrueged about them if i can learn to shoot one which will be a task in its self (been spoiled with pcps along time ) whats best route to having a sweet running gun if need be not botherd about going the pricey route if it makes a sweet shooting gun it wont ever be used for hunting just mainly a range gun as with my pcp bullpup its getting very much boring and wanting a bit of a challenge any advise gratefully recieved but honest advice not worshipers of certain tuners atvb many thanks dave g

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Venom and VMach are the top dogs and cost quite a bit more than the rest,Welsh Willy supplies a spring,lube and tophats/guides/power bands, tinbum just supplies the delrin parts,no lube or a spring I think.

personally I like the Welsh Willy kits,they are fairly cheap and of high quality,I have one fitted to my Hatsan.

3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

My kit is intended for people who want to tune the gun themselves but don't have access to a lathe to make their own parts. As far as I can work out, the difference between my kit and a WW one is a Titan spring, 5ml of moly, £40 and a four week wait.
    I don't know how much a Titan spring is off the top of my head.:confused:

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

About £20-25 but it WILL need cutting down to a suitable length to keep the rifle under 12fpe. Welsh Willy's kit comes with all the lube, delrin parts, cut length titan spring with polished ends , and fitting instructions. IMO, i think a 4 week wait is fine, i had one of his kits in my old Stoeger X20 and it transformed it.

5. meme

meme Banned

Hi
    I had one my of HW97 tuned and the other I did my self both running with a 4-5 fps spread the one I did my self my be a bit more twangy than the tuned

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You're also paying for the ends cut and cleaned professionally aswell as Wills great after care and service,also his reputation...the price is definitely worth it.

7. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

I think i no will from the theoben site sure my mate ice goes to hs regular so is the only diffrence the spring no seals ect or piston head plunger ect be patient with me been around 20 year ago when i last had a springer to shoot only had them in deals and passed on straight away so what is stroke shortening or piston buttons ??? Can u just send the action away as im busy as hell at min with work . Action will be going for nickle plating as i ave a new sythetic 97 stock or it as the originl was profiled not to my likeing

8. Tinbum

Exactly! V-Mach and vortek may be similarly expensive, but the WW kit is in a price bracket all of its own as is my kit. They are aimed at different users with different needs and/or abilities.

Many people buy a new HW or AA rifle and throw away a superior spring to fit an aftermarket one. That just doesn't make sense! That's where my delrin parts come in.:)

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Cool tinbum i need to look at my spring then and ile add a pic to the thread trying to keep cost of it down as its only ment to be for fun at the range with si as i say ive my bullpup for serious shooting / hunting my spring do,s look lime a after market one tho from what i can see of it as its not rounded and coverd in grease or oil

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

If you need help with the stripping, have a look at my HW97 strip thread in the Airgun Data Centre. The 77 comes apart the same way.

Cheers,

JR

11. Tinbum

If you need a new spring and have no means of shortening or finishing it you may be just as well getting the WW Kit!
    As already mentioned, you could spend another £20 on a spring, then you need to cut, flatten and polish it....

You get where I'm going here. Different strokes for different folks.

12. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Thanks jr that would be great sounds daft after years of building pcps but im seriously at a loss with this one dont no where to start with it ;)

13. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Ile get a picup tbh if i can use your kit that would be great what started as a cheap range gun as ended up costing near 200 extra just fr a new stock and scope as i sayim not fussed about daft logo stickers just a smooth shooting gun ;)

14. Tinbum

And I've just been designing daft stickers too!:rolleyes:

15. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Lol ohh well wont be wanting none of them :rolleyes: Each to ones own tho atb dave

16. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Oh my . I can just see my two airguns with " I've got a Tinbum " pasted on them . What logo will you be using Nick?
    Dag:)

17. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

18. Tinbum

I was kidding! My kits are just the parts, the credit should go to the owners who strip, clean, fit and make things work better!

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

What a shame! And Ozzy's was pretty good too! I was just going to strip the labels off two baked bean tins and photograph them next to each other ;)

20. 177

177 Donator

I've said this before but it can stand being repeated: you can mimic and even surpass the results of any of the tuning kits with a good debur, polish in the right places, burnished in lube (also in the right places, and of the right kind :rolleyes: ) and a top hat.

The HW77 is a gem to tune - I sold my last one a few months ago and regretted it ever since - everyone who shot it wanted to know who had tuned it :)

It had/has a factory seal and mainspring.

What I did was:

* polish the exterior of the compression chamber
    * polish the exterior of the piston
    * lightly hone the front and rear inch or so of the polished piston (for lube to key onto)
    * polish the spring ends
    * make and install a top hat
    * make and fit a PTFE piston liner
    * Ultimox 226 lube on the mainspring, the front inch or so of the piston, and around the piston seal
    * good moly worked into the rear inch or so of the piston
    * transfer port opened out slightly (DO NOT FART ABOUT WITH THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!!!)

It feels like it's on bearings it cocks so smoothly, and one shooter who tried it on the day I sold it commented on the gun that "It never even moved" when he shot a spinner at 30 yards :)

In terms of recoil there isn't any that you can really notice. That's not to say that the gun doesn't recoil, simply that any recoil is so low it barely even makes itself felt when shooting.

Consistency is typically around 4 FPS variation with pellets straight out of the tin, and power is/was 11.2 FPE

Its new owner was last seen hammering golf balls at 50 yards with it after getting bored with the 30 yard spinners :D

Personally I consider the HW77 to be a home tuners dream since it is easy to work on, responds very well to a sympathetic touch, and the results of the before and after are so radical.

A minor improvement could have been added into the mix by changing out the factory mainspring for a shortened and dressed Titan, but if you re-read the above you will see that, other than a top hat and PTFE piston liner, everything else is stock and simply relies on the owner polishing, honing and lube to transform the gun.

I could have sold that gun countless times.

Wish I hadn't :(

Good luck with yours !