1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

spring or gas ram

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sharp shooter, Jul 26, 2007.

1. sharp shooter

sharp shooter Member

:confused: thinking of getting a lightning xl for the lad,he keeps wanting to use my theoban eliminator but he is about 8 stone wet through dont think he could lift it let alone cock it,anyway thought the xl would be a good first gun for a newby,unsure about spring or he gas ram not knowing the velocity of the xl should i stick with a spring try the gas ram any info would be appreciated ss

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Welcome to the forum ...

In all honesty it doesn't make much different whether you opt for a spring or gas ram gun - there are pros and cons for both.

Springs are better in that they aren't affected by the temperature, but then they do wear out quicker and a spring gun can't be left cocked for more than a minute.

If you get a gas ram, already being a Theoben owner you'll know that they're smoother and nicer to shoot generally, although they are slightly affected by the temperature so I've been told.

Springs and gas rams should have the same power and velocities if you don't have a FAC, because they'll both be 12 ft/lbs and so there isn't much between them.

So basically I'd recommend a spring gun, and the Lightning XL looks like a good choice - BSA build quality is superb.

James.

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

HI SS, I wish my old man had bought me an airgun,I'd have been chuffed to bits with an XL (Super sport in my day!).
    I can't comment on gas ram for XL but I fitted one in a HW80 and its magic:up:.
    I'm sure someone out there can.

4. sharp shooter

sharp shooter Member

stick with spring

will prob go with the springer thanks for the info ss

5. sharp shooter

sharp shooter Member

no worries will prob go with the springer cheers. ss

6. steizere

steizere Member

im 14 and iv always had a lightning in 22 i think its great

7. sharp shooter

sharp shooter Member

:up: cheers happy shooting. ss

8. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

spring guns can be left cocked for a lot longer than you
    think ,leaving one cocked for an hour or so is no big deal:)

9. topcat

topcat Post Whore

gas bags

wouldnt have a gas ram for nowt nowt but trouble and terribly affected by the weather i have cronyd them on awarm day at near 12 fpe and on a cold day same gun wass down to 7 fpe when warmed up in the house power went back up poi allover the place nice springer knocks the spots of them

10. David

David Engaging Member

I was told you have to regualry use a gas ram whereas a springer can be left in the closet for years without a problem. I dont know if this is horlicks or not but i thought it worth mentioning

11. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

gas rams would be fantastic if they were not affected by
    temperature, hardly any recoil and can be rested on fences etc
    without any accuracy loss.

12. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I'm getting one for my Supersport just because the spring has lost 3 ft/lbs over time -

I've always thought about getting one but now seems the time as I have to get a new spring anyway, I thought I should just get a gas ram instead to improve performance some what.

There are pros and cons about installing a gas ram, but I think for me there shouldn't be any problems because I use my rifles regularly and I know that even if the power drops down to 7 ft/lbs on certain days, that's still enough to kill a rabbit or rat.

I think the idea of having next to no recoil greatly outweighs the negative aspects ...

13. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

there will still be a lot of recoil on your supersport ,as the gas ram you get wont have the h.e. system.

14. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

It's still an improvement over a twangy spring though ...

15. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

??

Hi TC, Which gun were you using??