1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Spring And Metal Ball Popped Out, Rem. Sabre

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rory Calderwood, Apr 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rory Calderwood

Rory Calderwood Newbie

IMG_20200406_125735.jpg IMG_20200406_125751.jpg IMG_20200406_125751.jpg IMG_20200406_125735.jpg IMG_20200406_125751.jpg IMG_20200406_125802.jpg I am very new to air guns and recently purchased my first, a Remington Sabre, however it has broken.
    I 'broke' the barrel to cock it after firing, and when I pulled the barrel down, a small metal ball (like a ball bearing) and the spring behind it popped out from the gun, beneath where you load the pellet.
    This now means I cannot cock the gun or lock the barrel into place, it is now just loose and hanging.
    I have the spring, but the ball is lost in my garden.
    Could anyone recommend how to fix this and where I may be able to get a replacement part. I would take it back to the shop as it's under warranty, but they're currently closed like everything else.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

It looks as if the rifle is cocked, if so the first thing I would do is hold the barrel up manually and fire it into the ground. There are 2 firms that carry air rifle spares, Chambers and Knibbs but I'm not sure if they carry spares for Remington.

Rory Calderwood likes this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

You can “de-cock” these!

Holding the barrel firmly towards the trigger, release the safety and pull the trigger.

Keeping hold of the barrel - it’s will be under tension - guide it back up. Do not let go!

Then I’d speak to the shop, you’ve obviously not had it long so I’d be asking them to repair or replace. If they’re available and open of course.

talent, Halinfax and Rory Calderwood like this.
  4. Victor Robert Allaway

Victor Robert Allaway Busy Member

If you really need to fix it yourself, as the shop won't be open any time soon, it shouldn't prove too difficult. The ball should have been retained in the hole by the deformation of the top edge caused by the two punch marks - crude, but usually effective. Measure the hole size to define the size of the missing ball bearing, get one (probably the most difficult part) slot it all back in and whack a fresh couple of dents into the face to retain it all. It's best to remove the barrel and clamp it in a vice before hitting it (protect it from the jaws of the vice).

I'd suggest that once you find the hole size you post it here so that any members who have a suitable replacement ball bearing can post you one.

Rob.

Gat Man and Rory Calderwood like this.
  5. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

That is a deformed spring ANYWAY....... the pop marks are predominantly one sided so it looks like there was uniform resistance on the ball bearing retention..

The rifle definitely needs taking back.. BUT as the RFD's are closed, it me necessitate a repair...

As mentioned, vernier caliper the bore where the bearing fits and I am sure one of the forum members will be able to supply one.. IF not.. Evilbay should be able to supply them..
    Then do as the above post said and re seal the bearing and spring (but take care as there will be tension and resistive forces pushing the ball out so you may have to find a method of keeping the spring and ball compressed as you re-punch the pop marks..

Good luck..

6. FPoole

FPoole Posting Addict

If you have drill bits a similar size to the hole, use them to measure the hole. You may get lucky and the 2 dimples will grip the new ball enough that you can punch them again, without having to keep the ball depressed.

7. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

I don't know how you would fix it, but I know how youd find that missing bearing no matter where it pinged off to on ya lawn? Ideally you need a fishing magnet. Not so much cos of their strength, but the large surface area of them. When I shoot my slingshots in the garden, lots of the steel bearings I use as ammo ping all over the lawn. But I don't even bother to try and memorize where they land. Bearings vanish into thin air when dropped onto grass. You won't find it by sight or feel. But you will definitely find it with a magnet. Just get on your hands and knees and slowly sweep an area at a time with the magnet moving in arcs in front of ya. You haven't gotta do this slowly either. As quick as you like. Just keep hoovering over the grass, then once you are certain you've covered an area, sweep the next bit. You don't have to keep checking the magnet. You will hear a " click" everytime you pick up even the smallest bit of metal. The chances of you having a fishing magnet are slim I guess, but if you or anyone you know has got an old microwave oven knocking about, you will find two powerfu ring shaped magnets if you take it apart. They are quite big in diameter and a lot of people use them instead. If you can source the kit I've mentioned, I guarantee you will find that bearing.

Kj1, trebike0 and Rory Calderwood like this.
  8. sidney

sidney Keyboard Hero

I saw an episode of "Curious and Unusual Deaths" (I think that's what it was called), and one of the stories was that of a bloke who took his microwave apart unaware that, even unplugged, it still retained a huge electrical charge which, in this case, was enough to kill him.
    I wouldn't be tinkering with a microwave.

9. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I'd say the chances of fixing that are unfortunatley slim to none.
    you'd be better just sucking it up and getting a refund when the shop reopens.

10. RobTaylor

RobTaylor Busy Member

Definitely. You'll ruin any chances of a warranty if you go for a temporary fix.

11. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

I've not heard of that myself and I know people who haven't come to harm inside them. But that certainly doesn't mean your not right. So it's worth checking for sure.

Rory Calderwood and sidney like this.
  12. RobTaylor

RobTaylor Busy Member

Probably the fear of non discharged capacitors, though he must have disassembled it pretty quick after using it.

walter Often likes this.
  13. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster

Drove over it in a dumper full of horse $hit. :thumb:

RobTaylor likes this.
  14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Firstly the best thing to do is see if you can contact the shop,it may not be open but they may have a website where you can contact them via an email or even thought the shop may be closed for customer sales there might still be someone there working to answer the phone and take deliveries possibly so you try either of those routes and see if there's any response.
    If you have no joy then frustrating though it may be it's probably best to not try and repair it yourself but wait until business resumes and take it back for replacement or repair under warranty depending on how long you've had it.
    I shouldn't try and repair it yourself because if you do and are unsuccessful or it fails again after you've made an attempt the shop or the distributors,in this case SMK i expect, will or may refuse to repair it under warranty owing to the fact that you've tinkered with it. This may sound unfair but perfectly within their legal rights and understandable to a degree.
    Finding a ball bearing shouldn't be difficult as i suspect it's just a standard steel ball probably about 6mm diameter. For a gunsmith or with some engineering experience effecting a repair shouldn't be difficult as it's just a case of replacing the spring and ball and putting a couple of swag marks in the side of the hole to stop the ball and spring from popping back out as in this case.
    But take it back with the receipt is the best option perhaps in your case.
    If they have a website then send an email as that will confirm as to when it happened. if they haven't a website and they not obtainable by phone send them a letter(dated) as though they're not open for sales other aspects of the business are continuing they're almost certainly still receiving mail just as we all are.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  15. walter Often

walter Often Big Poster