1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

spring air rifle shot through 3 1/4 inch plywood

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by lertho009#, Jun 9, 2007.

1. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

hello i was was wondering if anyone could tell me a rough estimate of what fps or ft lbs my spring powered air rifle could be producing as i have no chronograph it can shoot through 3 1/4 inch pieces of plywood at about 15-20 yards

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

If you can shoot through 3 x 1/4 inch pieces then you are well over the limit.
    What gun is it and what pellets are you using.

3. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

The air rifle i have is a chinese pioneer.22 but i have been doing alot of tuning to it new spring,new piston seals,piston chamber ect all parts have been polished and cleaned and also sanded the spring guide a little so theres less friction the pellets i use are RWS superpoint 14.5gr when i first got it it could only go through one 1/4 piece of plywood so im very pleased with my results wich cost me next to nothin if i were to go to a shop and get it tuned it would cost alot of money

4. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

I would shoot it at a phone book for a more accurate result. :rolleyes:

5. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

I have already tried this many times it can shoot through a phone book that is 1 inch thick :)

6. Andy

Make a target (Dot on piece of paper) and shoot about six shots at the dot at 20 yards, then move the target out to something like 35-40 yards and shoot at the dot again six times.
    Then you will have two groups, measure from the center of one group to the center of the other group.
    Put the details in to chairgun software and that should give a indication of what power your running at. :up:

7. topcat

topcat Post Whore

plywood

YOUshould never fire at ply wood it can ricochet stright back at you with devastating power and injure you seriuosly

8. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Plywood?

What's wrong with a chrono? Surely you can borrow one or go to a gun shop?
    It sounds a bit like a wind up.

9. topcat

topcat Post Whore

ply

i smells a bit fishy mick after having another look

10. Rob Laidlaw

Rob Laidlaw Newbie

If you fill in your details, where you are etc I am sure someone will have a chrono and be able to test it for you.

3x 1/4 pieces of ply I would say is definately over the limit.:eek:

Rob.

11. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

Hello i just thought that someone could give me a rough guess on what the power could be as i dont have the money at the moment to go out and buy a crono myself.I live in manchester if anyone can help me out?There is nothin fishy about this thread to those people who think it is?
    :up:

12. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

B2

It just sounded like we were being wound up , because a B2 shooting through three quarters of an inch of ply wood is unusual. If , by your tuning, you increased the power by two thirds, then you should have a good future as an airgun tuner ahead of you. Well done.

13. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

Hello again thanks for the comment:) do you think i could actually do this type of tuning to air rifles for a living? i would like to.I was shooting my air rifle yesteday and i think it has lost some power it was only going through 2 1/4 inch peices of ply:confused: still impressive but i think the mainspring may have decreased in lengh through the pressure, constant usage i am now probably going to have to replace the mainspring with one of a better quality.I am sure i can get it back to going through 3 1/4 inch peices:up: air rifles like my model probably need tuning on a regular basis

14. Andy

Does your gun have heavy recoil, and does smoke come from the barrel after every shot.

15. topcat

topcat Post Whore

power

away mate are you kidding us or what also remember if your gun goes over12 fpe its 5 years in jail .i think you could make a living as a comedian far easier than agun smith

16. lertho009#

lertho009# Active Member

Yes the recoil is quite heavy and smoke does seem to be coming out of the barrel after every shot why?

17. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

its dieseling, also you seem to be bit of a comedian ,were not all clockwork mate:rolleyes:

18. David

David Engaging Member

As has allready been surmised it sounds like your gun is above the legal limit, If you get it chronoed from a gunsmith or shooting club without a FAC you will be advised to have it de-tuned to the legal limit by a qualified gunsmith

David

19. Andy

If a gunsmith checks the power and it's over the limit he won't give it back. :D

20. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

also if you get caught with it off the flattys
    you"l be getting porridge for your breakfast for a year or two;)