1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Speed cameras DON'T save lives

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by SLR98, Nov 7, 2005.

1. SLR98

SLR98 Member

This Gatso on the A4041 near Birmingham was struck by a BMW which was being driven by a 16 year old.

Gatsos don't save lives

2. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Its a Fine line. In some ways they do act as a deterrent. If the Boy had not struck the Gatso, hitting the pavement and possibly ploughing into an in coming car killing them too was possible.
    I think they save lives in general but my arguement with them is they are sometimes put in Needless places just to up the revenue plus for identfication purposes.
    I fear for everyones Human liberties in this country,ID Cards on the way ,CCTV in every precinct,Gatso's everywhere. It is becoming 'George Orwells 1984 delayed 30 years'.
    Even your Mobile phone Network Knows exactly where you are.
    The banning of sports and activities that this country has done over the past 1,000 years.
    Gatso's are the least of our concerns as a free democracy.
    I will not be around in 50 years time and i am glad as the Govt will know what you are who you are where you are and what you are doing 24/7.
    There will be laws that infringe out human rights but more so just as normal private citizens wanting privacy in our life.
    I am sorry about the Boy as society has in some way let him down may he R I P.

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

damn things.:mad:

is that SLR guy still a mod, havent seen him before :mod:

4. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEWwuxDIos0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

5. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

He shouldn't have been behind the wheel, sorry but thats the top and bottom to it.

6. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Remember seeing that program, a1 lol :D

7. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Here's a freak accident for you, last Wednesday, l was coming back from my mates farm, it was about 12.30pm just got into the outskirts of Bewdley, police car blocking the road, l said ups up, to the bobby, been a bad accident, road will be closed for another 2 hrs, straight away l thought boy racers, had to turn round and drive 12miles out of my way, well pi$$ed off, thought no more about it...talking to my mate last night, he told me a young girl he new, was killed there, by a "boat sail" l said ay, apparently, a car pulling a trailer with a boat on it, the boom (Think thats what he said,a1 will tell us) broke loose, swung out' hit the driver in the head, in a car passing, killing the driver, she was only 22...........another ten second ay!!!!!

8. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

I think that many do save lives. Those used at traffic lights to catch red light jumpers are essential; the camera's placed at points after a number of fatal accidents have occurred probably do; and ones placed where drivers exceed the speed limit excessively are also important (there's one near where I live in a 30mph limit where drivers were regularly caught on mobile radar doing 60mph. It was outside a college and opposite a bus stup, but that wasn't enough to stop the idiots). Yes there are some which seem to be revenue earners, but in my area they seem mostly to be in safety related sites.

As for the guy killed, whilst it very sad for anyone to lose their life, he was driving under age, without a licence or insurance, and had already lost control of the car before he hit the pole. It could equally have been a lamp post, a traffic sign or a bridge and he would still be dead.

Tazz

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

boom?

what the heck was the guy thinking.
    i dont sail yachts but its comon sence to take the damn thing off or tie it properly!!

as it was a trailable one it mus have been light enough to take it off so there was no excuse for that to happen.

just to clarify the boom is a steel or aluminium 'pole' that keeps the sail taught

10. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Thanks for clarifying that, Matt...now he's wishing he'd taken it off:(

11. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

was the mast up too:confused:
    if it was thats an accident waiting to happen too.

the road is totally different to the sea.

when out at sea the mast is keped in shape as there is wind hitting the sail.

on the road it would bounce and wobble madly as it would have nothing suporting it.

masts are desined to bend as when the wind it the sail and the mast bends a bit you go faster but on a road the car stops and speeds up so the mast will swigh around madly.

he should have the whole boat taken to bits if you trailer it!

also im a welsh matt thats a one T im a mathew not that daft english one with matthew, it just looks stupid:D

12. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Sorry Mat, me just being random:D....no the sail was tied down, the arm swung out has he took a corner

13. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

you'd think a sailor would know the right nots:rolleyes:

i know quite a few.

a simple bowline not would probably have stoped it!

on that not i have draged a boat out of the water on a trailer and tied another on the hitch of a car and the not held the boats weight on a trailer!!

and its easy to untie after.
    its the perfect not.
    its a simple loop that doesnt change size (unless you re tie it)

my fav not:D

14. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Don't see what the big problem is with speed cameras personally, only a few have film in them but the "not knowing" makes you slow down anyway. When you know there's a speed camera ahead you slow down, I've noticed that when there isn't one people don't even notice speed limits, I'm often the only person going 30 through a 30 zone and I get a big line of traffic forming behind me.

I also think that those speed camera warning systems you can get on satnavs and things are a good idea, again they make you slow down.

That picture you put up doesn't mean a thing, the speed camera was hit but it could've been a tree, a lamp post or anything else. Don't you think that problem was that the driver of that car was 16, under-age, and inexperienced? I'd question why he was even behind the wheel, how is it the "fault of the speed camera", for being there?

Anyway sorry to see that, many people die on the roads each day, that just looks like an unlucky accident where the driver is at fault not the camera.

15. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

best thing to do cog.
    its to expencive on the petrol/diesel to speed:D