1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question so what upgrade is next?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by airgunguy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. airgunguy

airgunguy Junior Member

So for christmas my dad brought me the SMK TH78 DELUXE air rifle. Fantastic rifle i would suggest to anyone. I brought myself a BSA 3-9x40 scope for this rifle to make it more accurate, but what upgrade is next??

I can't decide. Bipod is an obvious choice, but then again being a CO2 rifle a silencer would reduce the sound quite significantly. Im currently only using this rifle for back garden plinking, but wouldnt mind doing some pest shooting with it soon.

So what upgrade would you suggest?

2. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Weihrauch

3. scottwood

scottwood Engaging Member

Defiantly the silencer specially if your going to do some pest control. Most important upgrade if you want some numbered bags.

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Deben Whisper silencer and a Deben Bipod..both cheap but very high quality.

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

What matty said

6. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Bi pod is good possibly bulk fill or a drop block and HPA
    Check the power output and maybe a better transfer port seal
    I have a couple with choked BSA barrels fitted ....
    lots can be done for not much money .... Or you can just spend £700 on a gun that's needs nothing doing to it
    cheers
    simon

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Some minor fettling wouldn't be a bad idea either,just simple polishing will improve your shot output somehow

8. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Really worth polishing the bolt and hammer have a look on the Chinese airgun forum loads of info and guides

9. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

u will not understand all colours of life before:

1 - u spend over 400 modding your beloved 78 to hpa, multishot, custom stock and highly gloss polishing e.t.c.

2 - u spend three-to five month to sell it at cost and finally will let it go around 150 mark (don't throw away any of old parts, u will be able to fit them all back to your new custom stock to let it go at 100+ and wil make other 50-100+ on selling custom parts you've paid 300)

3 - u buy your first real pcp, like Super10, S400-410 at around 300-350 mark or any other to understand that the airgun can shoot 11,6 with 10/10 1p coin accuracy at 35y with no moddings/polishing/cutting etc and can be good looking and handy from the box

BUT first you HAVE to go through these three steps - otherways the life is borring

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yeah,once you start spending £300+(Including the gun) you're in good PCP territory like BSA Ultras(Tactical SE is £315) or even AA S200s which are full power,no temperature issues and cheaper to run over a long period of time.

11. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Vitalich hits e nail on the head...most of us have been there and got the t- shirt lol

12. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

don't ask me how much these two cost to me http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/150052-Two-of-my-AGS-SMK-78-builds
    the glossy one with porky-yorky tube and bulk fill
    and i was wise enough to stop before to go for hpa conversion

and don't ask me how cheap they gone :(

next @for the night story@ will be about AGS PCR1

13. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

We all have aspects of the hobby we enjoy ..... We are not all the same .....
    For me buying a gun that shoots great out the box is a bit boring .... I love to fettle and modify I understand that some want a perfect gun out the box and just shoot it for me it is also about how it is working and improving etc
    I have much more expensive guns it's not about the money
    getting a very basic gun really understanding how it is working is a big part of the fun for me I am a reasonable shot i am sure my guns when sorted are not the limiting factor .... I hit the extra strong mints at 55 yards about as often as the other guys ...
    I also enjoy not having the same gun that most down at our club shoot something different ....
    the most I have spent is around £200 ok may be slightly more one gun has a BSA barrel is regulated PCP shoots over 100 shots in 177 with an almost flat shot string over 11 ft lbs and is very accurate but really each to their own this is one of mine pics are quite old the stock is better finished, the barrel blued and a nice RAP4 plate on the bottle - MTC scope also fitted - will have to update my pages !

http://www.theywalkamongstus.co.uk/airguns/tdr.html

we all want different things from our sport

cheers
    simon

14. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

i hardly understand who need over 100 shots from one charge on a single-shot breech
    (that was the reason to sell my gunpower stealth)

15. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Let me explain ....... Not hard to understand
    My son and I go to a club on Saturday mornings, there are benches there and lots of knock down targets - it is not hard at all. to get through a 100 shots, saves taking bottles / pumps we have a great time wacking the targets ......
    Part of the reason this guns 100 plus shots is it is efficient did you look at the shot string ? How many out of the box guns have one this flat ?
    the 13 cubic inch bottle is cheap and balances this gun a small one would not give much of a stock would it it is also possible to strip / service the regulator and to change its output pressure .....

like I keep saying we all want different things from our sport ....

TDR280114.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  16. airgunguy

airgunguy Junior Member

Thanks for all these comments guys :) im definatly thinking silencer for the gun, but an all over gun servicing costs £25 where i shoot so i think i will do that too :)

17. spike589715

spike589715 Busy Member

Really easy to service yourself .... Get to know the gun in the process
    they are very basic and simple
    have you checked out the uk Chinese airgun forum loads of strip down guides etc there
    cheers
    si

18. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

I have fully original daystate mk3 with the regulator, it gives over the 120 shots with absolutely flat pover curve, and it.s much better to knock targets having 10 shot mag (I have 7 of them for this rifle), but yes, I need to have a botle with me as I can easily shoot out 300 pellets in 2-3 hours, and it cost much over than yours, and I.m playing with my other guns to modd them.

You.re right, we are different in our hobby.

19. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

If your getting a silencer you cannot go wrong in one of Mattw975 from our great forum. He makes great kit and they work as well or in my mind better than ones costing a great deal more.

20. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

First of all, I own a QB78D .22, I use it for hunting, in the warmer months, it being Co2, the power drops off in the colder weather. But the gun can be tuned at next to no cost. The gun needs to be able to breath, replace the factory transfer port seal, polish the hammer, and shim the hammer spring with a couple of split lock washers pushed onto the spring guide, this will give the spring more tension, then open out and polish the hole in the bolt probe, the hole that lines up with the transfer port, those few simple mods will improve the power for hunting. Warning. I do not recommend you tune the gun, unless you have access to a crono, as these guns can be taken well over the limit, if you do too much. When sorted they are a good budget hunting rifle, for little money, for the warmer months. Do not be put off by some negative comments, and enjoy your hobby. Bob.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014