1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

So what do you hunt?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fog, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Maggies, crows , Pigeon and no doubt Bunnie and hare and a Tree rat.

Those Tree rats are tough little buggers, i was talking today to a guy who had an article in 'Air Gunner' this month.He bought down a tree Rat and when he opened it up it had about 5 shot in it.
    Tough little Shits!
    A clean Head shot is a must with all vermin but i think with Tree Rat its even more so.

2. 16Grain

16Grain Member

Rats, rats and more rats.

I hate rats.

3. Rags

Rags Active Member

Sometimes at night I hunt snails (escargots) in the back yard. :rolleyes: I bait them with my wife’s rose plants and her garden. I’m getting so proficient, I can pick them off without using a rifle rest. The only dangers you have to watch out for are stampedes. :thumb: That’s when you go for the leaders to turn the pack. Please post about your hunts.

4. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Rags,

You need to get out more mate!.......Its a worry!:help:

5. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Hi, I shoot mostly Magpies, Pidgeons and rabbits. Today I was Cleaning my rifle in my bedroom. Our house is only about 15 yards away from one of our fields. So there I was polishing and such when a magpie landed on one of the feilds fence posts. popped downstairs for my RWS .22 Roundheads. I went back upstairs expecting the bird to have travelled on. Loaded up the AA opened the window (could use the ledge as a rest) and took aim. The magpie was about 25 yards away, but one shot on the back of the head was definately enough and the maggie stil lies there.

ATB,
    Chael

6. panic

panic Member

I hunt the same kinds as you guys...except the snails, they're way too vicious for me(scare the Sh#t out of me those things...seen the size of those teeth!!)

Bunnies, pidgeon, squirels, maggies, crow...never done a rat as yet...oneday!!

7. shootstephen

shootstephen Member

hi (16grain) whats the best time/places/secrets for these pests.
    do you leave bait out for them.
    im scouting for venues???

8. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Hope this helps!

here, try some of these:

Brown Rats:
    Brown rats are my favourite quarry, I hate the little ******, they do nothing but eat and spread disease.
    We have two types of rat in this country, Black rats (Rattus Rattus) and Brown rats (Rattus Norwegicus) the rat often referred to as a Grey is the young Brown rat, usually three to five weeks old. The brown rat is thought to have come from over to Britain on Norwegian timbers ships (circa 1760) hence it’s generic name Rattus Norwegicus. It was this (twelve ounce) Brown that drove out the smaller (eight ounce) Black rat. The brown rat won’t tolerate any smaller rodent near them and there are many recorded accounts of Brown rats attacking and killing Black rats. Any Ratman worth his salt knows that if you’ve got mice ‘you ain’t got rats’ !
    Warning "Weil's disease" or "Leptospirosis" it is estimated that 40% of the male population of rats carry Weil's disease, it is present in the urine, it can be contracted by humans and can be fatal!!, always treat a rat "dead or alive" as if it is carrying Weil's disease, It can occur after swimming or partial immersion in infected water. The incubation period is usually ten days. The symptoms are headache, fever and muscle pains, which may be followed by Jaundice, blood in the urine, Meningitis or kidney failure. I personally never touch a rat with my bare hands I always ware plastic gloves (usually I get these from petrol stations, they are free and usually right next to the petrol pump).
    I have been shooting rats since I got back into airgunning in 1995, I have one rat shoot of my own and three others that a friend allows my to go on, these shoots are in Poultry, Pig, Horse and potato farms, I also have one shoot in the middle of town!
    The best place to find rats is where there is a good supply of food and a strong smell that's why Poultry or Pig farms are favourites, the reason the smell is important is that this is how the rat locates their next meal and they make home near a good food supply, so you will always get a good fresh supply, other places are bakeries, Slaughter houses etc.
    There are various rat population figures quoted for Great Britain but it would be very Conservative to say 50 million! (By the way on the "Weils disease" this means that there are over 10,000,000 million carriers!)
    The brown rat is very adaptive and will live just about anywhere, from drains to attics even shrubbery's around fast food restaurants where people are constantly moving around. It is safe to say that where humans live so does the brown rat.
    Right let's get to the killing! Brown rats are very cunning and wary but also stupid, the are very skilled at locating and getting at food, the will do anything to get that food, I have even seen them make holes in concrete floors (over a three month period) just to get at food.
    Tips:
    Ben: Not all rats are the same, just like people, I have shot some truly stupid rats and also some very cunning rats I will not bother talking about the stupid rat as you will not find him hard to locate or kill.
    Cat food:
    I use cat food as a bait, it has a strong smell is cheap and easily carried around in your pocket. I use the rip off lid types and use the lid as a spoon. Try to find a cat rood that is mushy not chunky as this will allow you a longer time to shoot as the rat cannot grab a large chunk and run away and eat it.
    Crap:
    Look for rat crap, it looks like gray / brown torpedoes from 5 to 15mm long, fresh ones are shinny! Rats usually have a communal toilet, this will always be in a place they feel secure ie. under something like a old pallet that NEVER gets moved.
    The toilet is a good place for a ambush as rats are usually too busy smelling other rat scents to worry about you, but make sure the toilet is still being used other wise you'll have a long wait.
    Light:
    Some people will tell you that rats hate light, this isn't strictly true, yes they prefer dark, but light will not stop them getting food, what they don't like is movement if you shine a dim light on some food and a rat comes along and starts eating, just try to move the light and watch what happens, yep the rats gone (unless it's one of the stupid one's), this is because they have very sensitive eyes that can pick up very small differences in light and movement, look at it from the rat's point of view your eating under a spotlight and all of a sudden someone moves the spotlight, just a fraction, but to you it's looks like something large just moved.
    Whenever possible use the natural light that is available to you i.e. moon, 40w bulb or street lamp these light sources don't move and the rat will quite happily wonder around in these light conditions, but be aware that rats also have excellent memories and sometimes associate a light going out with time to feed, so if the light is on when they come to check out the area they go away thinking it's not time, it all depends on how the humans they encounter on a day to day basis react to them being there, if every time they see one they try to kill it the rat will learn to keep away until it's safe, on the other hand if they do nothing the rat will think it's just another animal like a pig and carry on. If no light source is available then a dim fixed light is best, I use a tracer compact vari-power. Place some cat food where you suspect the rats is going to visit, don't put it in the open as rats like to feel secure, they like to feel they are under or near something, so put the food at the edge of a wall or between boxes and wait, when the rat appears DON'T MOVE, let it have a mouthful, rats usually don't stand and eat they grab a mouthful and run to safety, don't worry this is where rats are stupid they always come back, once a rat has found a food source he usually eats until there is none left or until he can't eat anymore, whilst the rat is away quietly get yourself in position and get ready they almost always come back via the same root, when he does appear don't leave it too long before shooting.
    Stand up fight:
    I call it a stand up fight because there is no baiting or waiting you simply walk around looking for rats, I only tend to do this at the poultry farm as it's knee high in chicken (swear word) and stinks so you don't want to be sat down for too long in one spot, also the rats are totally carefree and just wander around as if nothing could hurt them.
    Routes and traps:
    Rats are brilliant at remembering routes and travel the same route night after night, so to locate them you simply place cat food in several places that you think rats will run, now sit down and watch one set of food for 15mins then go and check the the rest, if you have placed the bait correctly and rats are about then one or more of the baits will have gone (check ALL your baits and keep them topped up, even if several have gone, you want to keep them interested until you can get around to killing them all!)

once again, hope this helps. :D :D :)

9. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Mostly bunnies, corvids around lambing time usually, keep the sods from picking on the fluffy new arrivals in spring :D also pop the occasional collared or woodie now and then too.
    Used to do a lot of roost shooting, but taken to afternoon stalking or lamping these days.

Hoping to start fox bashing in the new year though for a change. :)

10. niloc

niloc Newbie

i shoot foxes (not with airguns) all year,:) but in summer the odd crow and magpie get it as well

11. 16Grain

16Grain Member

How I do it:

I have a .22 multishot rifle with a deben tracer mini lamp (red filter), a simmons 3.8-12x44 IR AO scope and a red laser.

The rats run around the henhouses so, about an hour after dark I walk down there - no lights and quiet as possible.

I know roughly where they feed and run so I line up my shot roughly, switch the lamp on, aim, fire and lamp off again. Sometimes you can snapshot a runner with the laser.

Repeat until you get bored or you run out of rats.

On pellets: Accupells are nice for lamping because they show up like tracer in the lamp beam. They are also hard and ricochet quite badly IMHO. I use AA fields because they are soft, whack the rats really hard and flatten so they lose their energy when they hit. The last thing you want around buildings and hard surfaces is pellets ricocheting around. I find I get fewer ricochets with a softer pellet.

12. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Good Post. I find that if you find Barns especially cattle etc it is alive with rats. I have a place i go that at night the road leading to the barn is 'Brown' and 'Moving' they scatter a bit but once settled in and just a red night light its just pick off time.
    I find it good practice but as i think i have said they are tough little buggers.

I do have a bit of a Consience though (i know i know) as on one hand i am doing the farmer a big favour but i prefer to kill to eat. if i can't eat it i know Falconers birds that will but Rat with slugs in it is no good.

Perhaps i am going soft but i do not like to kill unless i can use the meat in some way

A bit Girlie? Well its just my opinion.

13. Gerald

Gerald Newbie

What I shoot

I shoot Rats at approximately 40 yards. Snakes from 10 to 50 yards, Black birds, and other pests. Match sticks at 28 yards. Bunnies, Oppossum, and any thing else I can. I was picking up a CZ 452 this weekend and a AR-15 in .223 cal.
    :)

14. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Have you ever shot the end of a matchstick and its caught a light:D

15. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Now THAT is definatly going on the to-do list :):cool:

16. Rags

Rags Active Member

I think you're safe with the CZ542 for Rats & Black Birds. However I think the AR-15 will be a small overkill.:bounce:

17. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

I hunt basically any varmit that (swear word) me off. Most I hunt gophers, crows, magpies, and scavenger or nuisance bird, and rodents. Lot's of fun.

18. djdilliodon

djdilliodon Newbie

I mostly hunt sparrows, crows, squirels, and racoons. There are tons of rabbits around here on main highways near the water but cant really start picking them off with cars going by lol.

19. air-sniper

air-sniper Newbie

what gun do you have ?

20. longshot

longshot Newbie

hunting

only hunt rabbits but had an offer to go ratting which i will take up.