1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

So what calibre do you Prefer?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Fog, Dec 8, 2005.

?

One Calibre And only one NO ARGUEMENTS!

1. .22

82 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. .177

62 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

If you could pick just one and only one what would it be?

For poll purposes i will just stick to the two common ones.

Its Difficult as terrain etc etc but a desert island calibre if you like.

Me- Its the .177 everytime.

2. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Limited to 12ft/lbs its .177 for me every time, but apart from that one exception .22 is so much more versatile so it gets my vote. :)

3. Rags

Rags Active Member

For my PCP's it is .22 or bigger. :bounce: My two springers are in .177.:)

4. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Versatile in what way? I think the .177 is more Versatile?

Interesting view.

Regards

5. joker??

joker?? Active Member

177 for 12ftlb , if i had a rapid tuned to over 12ftlb it would be a 22;)

6. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Versatile all rounder as in, if you look at the whole picture and not limited to 12ft/lbs was my meaning.
    .177 you need very precise shot placement, i've had more runners (namely rabbits) with sub 12 girly cal than anything else, which is why I stopped useing it a long time ago.

Even had inexplicable runners that were headshot from very comfortable ranges as well :confused: Certainly would never dream of useing girly lead on rats either, larger calibers for the extra whack to put them down on the spot, every time.

Look outside the 12ft/lb arena as well, over penetration is always an issue with .177 it gets much worse at FAC, then step it up to rimfire & centerfire, you have HMR, .17Rem & .17Mach2 compared to how many .22 calibers and .22 wildcats? wonder why? ;) :D

My preferred uses for .177 are feathered vermin, where penetrating brest shots are more effective than larger calibers (applicable to airguns), and again at the legal limit for plinking and target work as the trajectory is much more forgiving.

I'm not against any one caliber at all, I just have my prefered uses for them all, but find that overal .22 IS (only in my opinion) the most versatile of them all I can use a .22 air rifle to rat-splat, or a .22 centerfire round to nail bambi.... no can do with the smaller pellet/bullet.

ATB. :)

7. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Yes i agree and it is a difficult poll because you have to choose one .
    the reason i chose .177 is simply the trajectory over longer distance which i find i hit more with at 40 yards +
    as for a head shot on say a rabbit i have to disagree a 177 in the right place will bring one down just as good as a 22. The fact that it has a bigger inpact does not IMO make any difference as accuracy is the key here. I do agree with penetration at short distance but again Head shot and not crop shot will bring it down if it sticks or not?
    If you have killed a Rat with one shot (and thats hard) it has to be a Head shot and a very accurate one, if its 177 or 22 again no difference.
    So IMO accuracy especially over 35 yds is more inportant and thats why i chose a 177.
    However anything bigger than bugs like bambi the head shot for the calibre i do agree would make a difference and i would choose .22 as its a bigger head to hit so more impact needed but with bunnies and lower the size is irrelevant its the accuracy.

Take care.

Kind regards

8. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

i choose .177....but how many times are we going to have the same poll?

9. topcat

topcat Post Whore

177 most probably the most debateable subject in air guns

10. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

22's more versatile. plus it makes bigger holes in things :)

11. topcat

topcat Post Whore

177 22

versatile 22 dont think so 177 is the boy have you tried it if you are sticking to 30 yards and no more stick with your 22 if you want to sretch the distace on live quarry 177 all the way 22 trajectory like a cricket ball

12. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

For god sake, think about what you're saying. Stop making silly ideas up, A .177 ISN'T THAT MUCH SMALLER THAN A .22, IT DOESN'T MAKE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE. I'VE SHOT BOTH.

A .22 doesn't have a trajectory like a cricket ball, maybe you just forgot to cock the rifle.

I'm fed up with these calibre wars, there's a thin margin that separates the two if you're shooting at realistic ranges.

13. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hear, hear!
    You only limit yourself by being fanatical about calibre.
    I have 3 different calibres and love them all.

14. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

what a load of cobblers .177 is the ultimate cal.....:D

15. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

i don't care about whats cal is the best, it shouldn't matter. Im just glad i have a rifle to shoot, somewhere to shoot, im having a good time and it gets the job done!!

pete.

16. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

I challenge you to back up that laughable statement.

I'll even offer my own retort first.

There are three basic ways to shoot an airgun - plinking, target work and hunting.

Plinking.
    Either calibre will knock a tin can around a garden but .177 ammo is cheaper. Little in it between the calibres but cost may come into it.

Target work.
    NOBODY uses a .177 for serious target work unless shooting specifically in a .22 class (very few of those anyway). .177 is the undisputed king and to say otherwise shows laughable ignorance.

Hunting.
    I've hunted in .177 and never had any real problem with the calibre. It's given me access to longer range shots that simply wouldn't be possible with .22. I conducted a poll a couple of years ago and the majority of .22 hunters were switching to .177. Even the comics are now espousing .177 for sub 12 ft/lb. .22 still has it's fans and for closer range ratting or feral clearing in barns it's the better option. It's easy to call this area a draw on the which is best front.

In Summary
    You get a 55/45 split for .177 for plinking, a 100/0 split for targets and a 50/50 split for hunting. Total = 205/95 in favour of .177.

Go FAC and things change considerably but that affects a very small minority of airgun use.

17. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Whoops :D

18. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I saw that Andy but thought I'd better leave it on the grounds that I'd done enough "post bashing" for one day !!! LOL

19. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Aye - perhaps a bit OTT there Andy but seriously though nobody tries to compete at any official target sport with a .22 against .177 shooters.

20. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

.177 or .22

Come on now boys lets not start swinging handbags at each other over caliber sizes can't we just say some people like .22 and some like .177 i have always had .22 because it's what i wanted not because i think it's better it has always done what i've asked of it so what's the problem if you want a .177 buy one, if you want a .22 buy one, just try both first and make your own mind up see what you preffer it's what i did at the begining and i'm happy with my choice. :)