1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

So the maddness is beckoning like a serpents smile

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bemused, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

So with the maddness beconing like a serpents smile.
    I didn't have the Airmagnum so long at all before going slightly crazy and bumping up to an Air wolf.
    I put a little Niko 3-9x40 non AO on the Airmagnum before upgrading to a Hawke sport HD IR 4-12x50 AO, the Hawke got moved to the Wolf.
    Now with quite poor eysight and spured on my recent sharp shooting success within a five pence coin at 35 yards (which is quite unbelievable for me) I am thinking I may do even better with a little more magnification.
    Advice and recomendations appreciated.
    Regards
    Tony

2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I have a hawke varmint 6.5-20 x 44 sf which can shoot the bum hairs off an earwig at 40yds. Only problem is its too long for my break barrel!:(

3. 177

177 Donator

At that range you don't ned magnification - you need clarity.

Both combined is nice, if you can arrange it ;)

I don't have anything larger than a x40 on any of my air rifles - several have a x32 scope on, but they're crystal clear, pin sharp, with a fine ret and a bright sight picture. All of that makes for a ton of potential on tap, and none of them are particularly heavy or physically large, yet they outperform most x50 scopes under £200 :up:

My eyesight is squiffy so I really benefit from decent scopes.

How much are you looking to budget ?

4. neiled

neiled Donator

Tinbum - PM sent.

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

One thing you need to remember is that as magnification increases your inherent wobbling looks worse and worse through the scope. Too much magnification can make accuracy worse.

6. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

I use high mag prone of a bipod at longer range but jack is correct , when im stalking and shooting from knee or standing dont go over 10 x mag

7. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks for some thoughts. Sounds silly but I don't really have a budget yet as I have no idea what to look for other than another Hawke same as I have, but bigger magnification.
    However if there is much to be gained in clarity then I would certainly spend more. To my limited experience my Hawke is VERY clear but it sounds as though there is much better.

8. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Just to add I only shoot targets at a home range, currently 35 yards but I expect to move it out if my shooting continues to improve.
    I could extend to anything an Airwolf could reach.
    And I shoot off of bags on a table.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Hi I too have been looking for a high mag scope and after trying a mates scope have bought a Hawk night eye 6-24 x 50 with side focus, this scope is the best i have found for the money £170. its clear and bright enough to see the pellet holes at 40yds there is more choice from £250 upwards but the Night eye is plenty good enough for me.:up:

10. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks keithy,
    I shoot the Bisley practice targets, I can see my holes in a white background but not in a blue.
    And the first shot that hits the bull sort of obscures my target and I get a little vague where the centre is.

11. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

There are some 'stick on' targets which you can put on top of your normal target board.
    The 'Shoot n C' is one I have used.
    Before you go off spending your hard earned on more magnification, try something along these lines, could save you a few pennies:
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Targets/Shoot-N-C.aspx

12. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Thanks for the tip.

13. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

So I now realise its more than just a numbers thing, there is also the unquantified clarity aspect which could lead to lesser numbers adding up to a better end product. It is a shame visual acuity is not specified.
    I did like the ease of use of the Hawke BRC software which makes me inclined to stick with Hawke.

Do any of the Hawkes have a significantly better clarity over my Sport HD IR AO?
    Or should I be looking at different manufactures.