1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

So now I share a permission!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ste, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ste

ste Posting Addict

Hi lads and ladies what are your views

Went up my permission for a look round show my face and see what's about and I see 2 rabbits in the next field that's it now this place has a few rabbits so after half an hour still nothing and after seeing tracks were somone has walked I call up the owner and he has allowed somone else permission and I no nothing
    What shall I do?

Cheers ste

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

What can you do the land owner can give permission to who ever and as many as he wants...you could buy your own land then you could have it all to yourself atb

3. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Nothing you can do about that mate. Others have permission the land I can shoot too. Pain but the way it goes. At least you have somewhere you can shoot that has quarry on it!

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

This is why it's wise to obtain a few permissions. I wouldn't be so bothered about him letting others shoot there, but I'd be unhappy I wasn't informed. Especially if shooting after dark.

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

As above really. Nothing you can do, so be grateful that you have a shared permission. I'm sure many with none, would happily swap places with you. Otherwise if it really is an issue, or there is not enough vermin to support two of you, go find somewhere else, perhaps after explaining the situation to the farmer and ask him to call you if the other fella calls it a day.

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

I have just kicked one of my permissions in to touch, as the owner has turned the property in to a petting farm. No bloody way I am offering my services for free, not knowing who is going to be walking around. Just too risky.

You will see less and less on a permission that has to many members. You may as well start looking for others. Gutting, but you have to face the facts. KB1

7. essex sniper

The only thing you could do is have a chat to the fella and swop numbers so you can send each other a text so you no when hes out...you never no you mite end up shooting buddys

8. ste

ste Posting Addict

Cheers guys yer the plan is too meet but the owner never said anythink and I have had some Encounters with rimfire at night although it's best then I did report this to
    Him and he said no one else shoots here apart from you it's not a big place maybe 4 acres at the most but it's on my doorstep I do have others but it's my favour one only hope I get a number or have a chat so we don't bump into each other on a shoot

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Ask the landowner for the other guys number.
    Sort the shooting out between you.

It may turn out he is a shotgunner or rimfire or centre fire shooter who is not interested in shooting the same places as you.
    Many landowners will want an air rifle guy a Rimfire guy and a shotgun guy as they know each type of shooting has its own strengths.

Edit: Sorry just seen your post that says it's only 4 acres
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  10. bewear

bewear Newbie

ok let go

11. ste

ste Posting Addict

Yer I no your saying it's just frustratingly wasn't told as could have turned messy if either know

12. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Next time have a bottle of bourbon with you
    Find the other guy and offer him a shot or two
    Leave him a bottle and you can shoot some rabbits while he deals with the bottle :)

P. S.
    Meaning that bourbon gives a terrible head ake after, you will have one competitor less.

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Nothing much you can do it's the landowners property and he can let whoever he wants shoot on it.You could try and find out who the other shooter is and try and meet him and perhaps arrange different times when you both go.Explain to him that it's only 4 acres and if you're both going to be shooting on it you/we don't want to get it overshot as that would be no use to either of you.

14. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

I share a permission and i think its ok as long as you dont get a trigger happy can shooting person sharing it, otherwise your vermin will get lamp shy or gun ahy.

15. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    get to know the other guy, you may end up being a good team. also inform each other when you intend to shoot - for safety reasons

16. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I shoot on my mates farm as you may have read eleswhere :). I have known him since we were about 6 years old and we are both almost 50 :rolleyes: now. Although I fully understand your disappointment, it may NOT turn out to be quite as bad as you think :). The other guy may only be able to make it now and then or just one day a week due to work, family life and other hobbies etc. I wouldn't get overly annoyed when you speak to the Landowner about it because as the other guys have said, he owns the property and he can have a 100 shooting there should he wish it and sadly there isn't a thing you can do about it and pushing the issue may well end up with the other guy shooting it on his own :(.

Also, for all you know, he may be a relative / long time old friend of the Landowner as I am with my mate ;) :D, (I don't get good luck that often, but when I do I'm a lucky b*****d lol) so I would choose words carefully if you plan on broaching the subject with him.

There are also 2, possibly 3 other guys that have permission to shoot on my mates farm(s). He allows Air Rifles, Shotguns, Rimfires and Centrefires. I was the last one in so to speak about a month ago when I got back into shooting after 30 years away. I have been shooting a LOT up there this last month as I have the time. I have NOT seen/heard any of the other guys ONCE YET!! ;). I guess it's a bit worse for you as you say it's only 4 acres, but it's better than no permission to shoot anywhere :). There are a lot of guys here who have bought air rifles ages ago and are desperate for somewhere to go and shoot legally with permission :(. You either have to be a little lucky like me living in a rural/farming area and have old school friends who were farmers sons and now own/run the farms, or you just have to take a deep breath, think about how to present your case carefully and get out there to those farms around you and ask nicely.

My mates land In total is 500 acres between the main Farm and a seperate part he bought many years ago and I can shoot all of it. He also has two other smaller (250 acres each) farms and a few other forestry type woodlands which make up a grand total of 1,300 acres. (I asked him last night exactly what he now owned as we had been out of touch for years until recently). Yes, I know it's a lot of land but even so as I said I have not seen the other guys up there once yet :). I am hoping he will say soon go on Andrew, go shoot the other 2 farms as well, because I know at least one of the other guys gets to shoot the whole 1,300 acres but he helps my mate a lot with the farm work when needed. If not, I am very happy to have 500 acres as you can imagine.

Best of luck with your situation mate. I do feel for you. It is annoying when you think it's all yours and then someone else comes along and you're not even told about it (Don't understand the landowners thinking there just for safety reasons alone, besides common courtesy to you!!). Get out there to other farms and just ask or you'll never know :)

17. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

There is no way I would go onto the land without knowing whether there was someone on there already. This is an accident about to happen.
    I shared a very special permission with a group of farmers who shot game birds only., They went through am, I went through pm. All very civilized and well organised.
    If you cannot get the other guys details and sort this out as to different days etc, get the hell out of there before someone gets hurt.
    I'd also go and have a face to face with the land owner to find out why he did not let you know.
    Is it possible that unknowingly something went wrong the last time you shot?, gates left open?. Perhaps you did not turn up often enough, perhaps he doesn't like the cut of your cloth.

18. essex sniper

Be carefull having a face to face with the landowner you might lose it completely atb

19. 177

177 Donator

I'd give some serious thought to fading away gracefully.

Confronting the landowner is unlikely to go well - they can grant or rescind permission to who they like, when they like, and I can't think of many people I know who would appreciate someone taking them to task for it.

As others have said, if you can't make an arrangement with the other shooter then there is a massive potential safety issue - at that point I would thank the landowner for allowing you to shoot and explain that it would be best for all concerned to minimise the risks involved.

I also should mention here that most landowners DO NOT want folks wandering around their property year round, if it can be avoided. Let me rephrase that: they don't want people wandering around shooting the same pests and vermin ear round.

At this time of year I get asked to hammer the pigeons, sometimes geese and similar. I hit them hard, which is why I get calls from landowners I haven't shot for previously; neighbours talk and when landowners get yapping they inevitably mention good service, if they feel they have had it.

I get plenty of shooting opportunities by being thorough and dealing with the perceived problems.

The number of times I talk to people who say they struggle to find or hold onto shooting, when they are only interested in taking a rabbit or two here and there. I have yet to meet a landowner who wants a shooter on his/her land on that basis.

I have some permissions that I keep on year round for various reasons, but I usually hammer the rabbits hard at certain times of the year, deal with rats and corvids year round, and other species as required, seasonally, or both.

If the shoot isn't large it would be unusual to keep it on year round since a few carefully executed trips at certain times of the year tends to deal with the bulk of major problems, meaning any other trips are more leisurely.

I rarely find that doing a good job on one patch doesn't lead to more shooting.

IMHO the best way to ensure your shooting is to be seen doing an efficient job in a timely fashion.

Last year and the year before I regularly drove to the Gatehouse of Fleet area to deal with a serious rabbit problem. It took well into last year to get in in hand, and by this year it was what I would call well and truly under control and being maintained. The land involved is massive, the scale of the problem was huge (I took well over 1000 rabbits last year alone from this shoot) but this year I have only been twice and that's it. I have been invited over again later this month just to keep on top of things, and the landowner has agreed in principle to me having a go for deer on one of her other patches, as a gesture of appreciation. The farmer who owns the surrounding land has also asked for my details on the back of a huge job well done, albeit one that took an ongoing campaign and concerted effort to get to grips with over a year and a half.

The above isn't directed at the OP in any way - I just thought I'd mention it because it has proven the be very valid over the years I have been shooting.

Best of luck finding a resolution - I'd seriously consider walking away for safety's sake, with a sincere and polite thank you to the landowner and the offer to continue shooting for him if things change in the future.

20. Patrick

Patrick Donator

You say it's only 4 acres,is it woodland or just meadow land?I would think due to its very small size it would be difficult not to know when someone else is shooting there unless they were completely hidden in the undergrowth.Also unless he walks there you'd know if he or someone else is there by their vehicle.When I had permission to shoot on a 300 acre arable farm it was shot by 2 or 3 other people and I knew if any of them were there by which vehicles were in the farm yard.4 acres is tiny so it shouldn't be difficult to know who is and when they're shooting especially as it's very near to you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014