1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SMK TH208 Strip,Tune and rebuild

Discussion in 'Stickies Only' started by mattyts, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mattyts

mattyts Donator

First off,let me say that this is my first strip and rebuild project,this is not guide,it is just me documenting how I did things.

Photos were took withmy phone,I did not initially plan on taking photos so excuse the shoddy pictures.

This is a work in process,things may be added or changed as I go along,once again this is not a guide,just a small build diary

I started by removing the action from the stock,done by removing the trigger housing and the 2 screws on the fore end of the stock,being careful to catch any washers that might have fallen out,I then put them in a cardboard tray as not to loose them

CAM00274_zps13aa6841.jpg

The next step was to remove the trigger block,to do this you have to remove the 2 largest pins at the back of the action,taking care to ensure the pre load is safely contained.

CAM00277_zps6918eb81.jpg

To contain the preload,I placed the action on the edge of a solid table while pushing down on it.

CAM00278_zps59363244.jpg

Then I had someone else push out the pins using a small screw driver,while slowly easing upwards to absorb the pre load,the spring was compressed approx 1 –1.5 inch so making sure the pre load is contained is very important.
    Once I had done that,Then put the pins back into the trigger unit to keep it all together,this isn't essential but is recommended.

CAM00280_zps1b2d2cf0.jpg

Now that the triggerblock is removed,I could then remove the spring,shown here

CAM00282_zps70b91aa4.jpg

Next was to remove the cocking linkage,to do this,I had to remove the pin joining the 2 arms together,these are held in by small circlips which where placed aside for easy retrieval later.
    CAM00283_zps813c2697.jpg

There is also a small washer in-between which can be removed and the faces polished for smoother cocking

CAM00284_zpsd0c535b9.jpg

The cocking arm attached to the piston had to be wiggled free by placing it at a 45 degree angle then pushing forward to release it.

CAM00285_zpsf74d899b.jpg

Now the piston can be removed,it took a small amount of force to push this out and there was a lot of grease and debris on it which will be removed later.

CAM00290_zpse92bd18f.jpg

All the parts are then placed in another cardboard box ready for de-greasing

CAM00291_zpsfee8c161.jpg

With all the parts except the piston in a plastic tub,they were then brushed down with a mild solvent and rinsed.

CAM00294_zps3e032c07.jpg

Then placed on tissue waiting for them to be thoroughly dry,I washed the piston separately so I could focus on it a little bit more.

CAM00295_zps32f14d37.jpg

While waiting for the internals to dry,I separated the compression chamber from the barrel by removing the small screws holding them together.

CAM00296_zpsf767d851.jpg

All mating parts were degreased and lightly honed with 400 grit wet & dry paper.

CAM00297_zps35912ff4.jpg

I then set the barrel aside and focused on the chamber, de-burring the cocking linkage slot and area with a small diamond file

CAM00298_zpsb1489350.jpg

Then repeating the process with 400 grit paper to get rid of any very fine burrs

CAM00299_zps47fd548d.jpg

Then with some light paper wrapped round a dowel I honed the walls of the chamber so that it would be compatible with the piston upon assembly,unfortunately no pictures were taken during this process.

After that,I had to wash out the compression chamber to be free of swarf and old grease,I did this by flushing solvent through the chamber, alternating between the transfer port and the other side,changing the solvent regularly so it remained clean.

CAM00302_zps7a5c2ee4.jpg

Now the chamber was clean,I turned to the spring,paying careful attention to the ends,polishing them by using some scotch brite and 400 grit paper,I didn't spend long on this,just getting rid of any burrs.

CAM00304_zpsc21ec81a.jpg

By this time,the piston had dried and I began to polish it,by putting it in a drill and wrapping the seal in tape (you can remove the seal but I decided to leave it on there)

CAM00305_zps974b46bf.jpg

Spinning it quite slow and using 400 grit wet and dry paper,lubricated with the solvent soit wouldn't leave any traces,I then switched to metal polish to give it a shine without being mirror polished,I didn't want this and decided to leave the cross hatch scratch pattern on there for the lubricant to 'grip' on to.
    This is the endresult,a piston free of any burrs,pitting or scratches

CAM00306_zps078f4659.jpg

After then de burring and honing any other parts like washers or any mating faces and contact points,it was time for a final de grease and wash for all the parts to get rid of any swarf created throughout the polishing process.

CAM00293_zps01b7e995.jpg

Now with all the parts thoroughly cleaned,polished and washed it was time to set them on some tissue and wait for them to dry, final assembly and lubrication will be done in the following days.

I also plan to refinish the stock and get rid of the shiny laquer SMK put on thebeech.

Updates and data/results to follow

Thankyou for reading :)

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Cracking post chief - looking forward to the next part :up:

3. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

nice1 matt:up:

4. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Nice one mate!
    Its nice to see it in stages well done:)

Not bad looking rifles them smk208

Gaz

5. doodsy

doodsy Donator

well done matt, good work and well documented, I await the next update :up:

6. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

Well done lad,learning all the time,you will be stripping pcp's soon.
    andy.

7. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

That's the T05 trigger unit, the same one as I was having trouble with, any probs reassembling let me know pal!!!! Cracking write up, just done the same on my hammerli springer which looks to be exactly the same action with a different stock!!!!

8. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    any tips for the young pup mate ?

9. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

When you assemble the trigger unit make sure the plate that runs along the top of the unit, the one with the long spring, you need to make sure that it is exactly central otherwise the piston rod won't catch on the sear, the safety catch won't locate properly either, I find the best way is to build the trigger unit up fit it back in the action then using some long nosed pliers and a small flat head screwdriver gently ease it into position, then slide in the safety catch!!!!

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The trigger is quite alright as it is so I have left it as one piece..for now :rolleyes:

11. Egg

Egg Major Poster

That's the game mate!! They're all trying to sway in there and edge you out of the fettle Matty.... one singer - one song.....use the force! :D

12. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

If you remove the safety catch the chances are the plate will have moved, you will know which one I mean when you look in the top of the unit, I've not done anything with my trigger either, they're ok as they are but it seems after all the googling I did a few people have struggled to assemble them correctly.
    Just trying to help,

Jamie

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I'll have a look at it tomorrow,I tried to stray away from the safety but if the trigger unit is already misaligned,I may have to fettle that too ;)

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

put it all back last night after lubing spring and piston, with thanks to jay5488 for helping out with the tricky trigger.
    put 50 unweighed jsb exacts down it today, and the last 20 were fired over the chrony, and are as below.

733. 734. 739. 738. 739. 737. 741. 741. 742. 740. 741. 737. 743. 745. 740. 744. 740. 746. 744. 745.

pretty consistant, and the power was 10.07 to 10.43 ftlb.
    the cocking action and the firing cycle is a lot smoother and quieter, and jamie worked his magic on the trigger to make it much smoother and responsive.
    as you can see, the power is very steadily rising, and i'm hoping it will be somewhere between 10.6 -11 ftlb when fully bedded in after a full tin or so.
    i'm very pleased with it so far, what do you guys think ?
    matty

ps, thats the action sorted, now to the stock !

15. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Well done, a comprehensive how it is done guide and well written too!

Good results!

16. stevemandm

thanks mate, mattys always tinkering with stuff, and this is the biggest strip, fettle and rebuild - and he's well impressed with the outcome and the results so far

17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Well done Matty!

I found the lacquer was so thick on the XS that using a Stanley blade free hand was much quicker than sanding, Wire wool and then varying grades of wet & dry to finish.

No doubt you have a plan to tackle it already! ;)

Looking forward to seeing your stock natural looking, hope it hasn't got any filler in it.

18. stevemandm

he's dug out a tin of nitromors for starters steve - you going on the meet at grumpy's gaff in a couple of weeks mate ?

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Thanks Steve!

Yep,plan is to soak in nitromores,scrape it all off with a wallpaper scraper or a blade,sand from 120 up to 800 grit paper,stain and oil.

20. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I'm hoping to mate providing nothing happens between now and then! The decision is usually left to the last second as anything can happen here! :(