1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SMK QB78 Deluxe - Modded

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by London177, Jul 20, 2007.

1. London177

London177 Member

Hello everyone,
    I know some folks will not rate this gun but I already own one now :rolleyes:. I'd like to add a little more power and I've found a small company willing to do the work for a relatively small amount of money.
    Has anyone modded thier QB78 and if so how has worked for you?
    regards,
    Alan :)

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Hello Alan -

I've never owned one of these rifles - either standard or modded - but they're definately worth tweaking as they're ' ok ' out of the box but can be made so much better with a little bit of work.

There's even a mod to transform the XS78 into a PCP did you know ?

Although I can't help you or answer your question - good luck,

James.

3. London177

London177 Member

QB78

Hello James,
    I found a very helpful fellow in Ian Lamb. I've sent him my rifle and await the results. Take a look at his website:
    http://www.qbtune.zoomshare.com/2.shtml

I know I could buy something much nicer than a Chinese QB78 as money is not a problem but I like quirky stuff and these Chinese rifles are very quirky :)

When my rifle returns from Ian I'll post a few pics.
    regards,
    Alan :)

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I await the results ...

James.

5. apeman

apeman Newbie

i got exactly the same rifle.
    also had some excellent advice via email direct from ian lamb and my gun club owner and local fieldsports shop,he has tuned loads of these and i did the tune myself,brought the new seals online and now its just under 12ft lbs on a warm day!!!
    the results speak for themselves,and i dont care about the peeps who say .177 is a girls calibre,i got a better and flatter tragectory and almost identical muzzle and target energy than most .22's - have a read up on neil jenkinsons article in mays airgun world.
    happy shooting

6. stickfly

stickfly Member

Bought one of these myself a couple of weeks ago.
    Chrono'd it last Saturday at 7.4 then fitted a tuning kit. It then chrono'd at between 12.7 & 13.4 :eek:
    Now got to de-tune to get it below the 12 again.

7. bazwidajimny

bazwidajimny Member

you said yours was doing 7.4 out ov the box is it 177 0r 22 as im trying to find out the power mine is doing took it out too day with open sites and shot 2 ferrel pigions and 1 magpie all about 20 25 yards no problem and its a 22

8. DKOwen

DKOwen Member

Us Yanks mess with these guys 'all the time'....

In fact, for many of us it borders on compulsion. The guns are cheap (about $100 US) and easy to work on needing only a 7/8 inch strap of steel or very large screwdriver (in addition to 'normal tools').

A bit of background may be in order. Here in California we're blessed with a chap named Tim McMurry, a third generation Airgunsmith. His grandfather was the west coast Crosman rep back before we were all born, he grew up around CO2 guns and now owns and runs http://www.mac1airgun.com/

A number of years ago, his established reputation led to his being contacted by the Chineese looking for 'a better airgun to make', specifically a springer. Based on his experience (and his grandfather's and father's) he told them they were 'barking up the wrong tree'. They should make a clone of the truly great Crosman 160. This gun had, amongst other things been adopted as a training rifle in many venues (which explains the cock on closing action, to match the .22RF trainer then in use). He suggested adding scope grooves (a popular upgrade for the CR160 in his shop) and his shop got the first 200 guns (100 of each caliber) after many trips and consulting sessions. The originals all had to be rebuilt in his shop (I'm the proud owner of one of the .177s). He personally provided tooling, including rifiling buttons for the initial manufacture.

He knew what he was doing for sure. The result is a cheap copy of a truly fine CO2 gun (one could argue the best ever). Able to do most anything you'd want. Clearly a great value, even at the shamefully high prices you good folks seem to have to pay for 'your iron'.

Doug Owen

9. Biffo1262

Biffo1262 Active Member

There are many, many things you can do my friend some practical and some just bling. Whatever you do they are real fun guns to work on and shoot. Within certain constraints ie the temperature they are also very accurate. Mine, below has an AR2078 vented stock, MaxZbulk CO2 bulk adapter with pressure gauge, 12 oz paintball bottle with preset adapter, 9-13" JSR Pro swivel/tilt bipod, SMK 3-9x40 mil dot scope, Logun CCFC Carbon Fibre silencer fitted using a Julian Bond custom made 1/2"unf adapter, Rowan Engineering multishot magazine (this gun is the one featured on their website), satin Silver finish Uncle Mike's swivels and studs with Trail sling, Archer oversize bolt and the whole thing tuned by Ian Lamb of QBTune to 11.3ft/lbs

10. milius

milius Newbie

11. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Hi,
    Yes, I've modded one of these using a kit from T.R. Robb. I also bought a trigger mod kit and valve housing removal tool. Power up from just over 7 ft/lbs to 11.4 ft/lbs and still as sweet shooting as before. BTW my rifle is a .22 deluxe.

12. E553XBOYZ

E553XBOYZ Well-Known Member

yes i am the proud owner of one of these toys as well, great fun had mine fully tuned by trobb, omg how powerfull it was doing between 12.5 13.9ft lbs then i de-tuned obviously. then i bought a special little adapter to try out :)put it through my choro 19.8-20.6ft lbs :eek::eek::eek: with logon penetrators 16 grains then it pushed a little bit higher with the 20.5 grains so can be very powerfull if you own a fac. i detuned mine back down to 11.8 perfect for me.

airarms s410 carbine
    smk = xs78:eek:

13. aj5303

aj5303 Newbie

hi

i bought the qb78 deluxe last month and got a really good deal on it. i live in the uk and i paid a little more for it than normal,however i really wanted this rifle for its likeability and thats it i have a wiehrauch hw100 which to me is a fantastic rifle, but i am now in a situation as i bought the upgrade kit for £50 from a bloke called t r robbs in essex and in the kit was a dvd showing you how to fit it and what tools you need, i am not a gunsmith but i managed to fit the entire kit in two hours with no problems and now its just under 12 lbs and now i prefer it to my wiehrauch purely because it is very acurate and very fun to shoot and unlike my wiehrauch its very light and easy to handle on a full days shooting.

i have a .177 because my 100 is .22 and i know alot of people slate the .177 however i made a rabbit backflip after it took one between the eyes and pigeons no problem and i can shoot and kill with one shot at 35 to 40 meters no problem, the pellet i found that works best for the qb78 is the rws super h point they really pack a punch and i can fire the logun penetrators and promethius pellets easy i know they say dont use the promethius pellets in a bolt but i do and will keep doing it as they really have a fantastic killing impact but every rifle is different.

but to summerise the qb78 out of the box is good but upgraded its fantastic and well worth the effort and time ...... oh and just one other the sound moderator is really good but the adaptor with a weihrauch silencer is better in my opinion but im just waiting on a tap and dye kit to make the barrel a 1/2" UNF so i can get rid of the adaptor

hope this helped you in any way thanx AJ:up:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  14. bigchap

bigchap Banned

i tuned mine myself using charlidatunas guide and it shoots really nicely,super accurate and nice and light.my shooting buddy has an hw100 and we often swap as he prefers to shoot my xs78!

15. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

SMK QB78 Modded

:) I recently bought two of the thumbhole versions in 177 - one for me and one for the wife. Out of the box, my wife was grouping much better - I was getting larger groups with erratic 'fliers'. Took me days to get over the humiliation. :eek: Inspection showed that both the stock and barrel were loose on my rifle - tightening em up improved things. No doubt a complete strip and clean-up of swarf, fraze etc left over from manufacture would help so the next phase is to fit a tune kit. I've gone for the TR Robb one as I wasn't aware of any others being available. Haven't chrono'd them yet but will do so before I start the tune-up work. General opinion seems to say that 22 tune easier than 177? Does Ian Lamb do a kit?

Next step will be to convert to 'bulk fill' CO2 - any info about doing this would be very useful as I'm a newcomer to this lark! Is it possible to fit a pressure gauge? Where can I get one from? We seem to be getting about 80 shots per 2 capsules at the moment. How difficult is it to convert to air?

I'm sure the answers are out there! Cheers, Everybody :wave:

16. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

i bulk fill mine from a 2kg co2 fire extinguisher, much cheaper to run this way.

you can fit a pressure gauge but it will always say 850psi as thats what liquid co2 is. by the time theres no liquid left and just gas you wont have many if any shots left and the gauge will drop like a stone. not much use really.

if your getting 80 shots then your power must be pretty low. about 35 full power shots is the norm

to convert to air you must have an external bottle with a regulator to make sure the gun only gets 850psi and not 3000 like most pcps or it will go bang!

if you have bought a tr robb kit does that mean you have your old bits left over? do you want to sell them?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  17. Jack

Jack Big Poster

He has 80 shots between both guns, that works out to 40 each? So it's about right? :s

18. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

thats not the way i read it mate. the xs78 runs on two 12g caps.

as for getting a tune kit, why? its MUCH cheaper and more fun to do it yourself.

if your stuck then check out ukchineseairgunforum.

mick.

19. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

:up: Thanks for that, Mick. Once I've got stripping and modding one of em under my belt I'll have a go without using a kit - the wife's gun of course!

20. datadave

datadave Engaging Member

:up: Thanks for that Jetski. If I'd a thought about it a bit more, I should have realised that there was no point in fitting a pressure gauge with CO2 - as it remains constant while there is liquid left, dont it?. From what you say it seems it might be a good idea to fit one if converting to air, though - to prevent bursting the tube. Any ideas where I might get one from?

I'll let you know about the parts - when I've done the upgrade.