1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Smk Pr900w?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Pietro Beretta, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Posting Addict

Is the barrel threaded for a moderator, under the barrel end shroud?

2. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Busy Member

No sadly not. After you undo the grub screw to remove the shroud/foresight it slides off to reveal a thinner smooth barrel section.

It's 10mm though and any of the mods/adapters for the S400 fit. I used to have one and had a Deben Whisper silencer on it which comes with a 10mm S400 adapter, fit perfectly.

pr900w silencer 2.jpg

Wing Commander likes this.
  3. Pietro Beretta

So, will the S400 adaptor fit standard 1/2" UNF moderators, or only the Deben Whisper?

4. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Busy Member

The Whisper came with several end caps for the end of the moderator - conventional 1/2" threading, S400 10mm with a grub screw fitting etc.

To use a standard threaded moderator you will need a threaded adapter. I had one of THESE type on my CP1 at one point and it fits the PR900w barrel also.

5. Pietro Beretta

So I just remove the existing shroud, slip that one, and fasten it with the grub screw, then thread on whichever 1/2" UNF moderator I fancy?

Thanks. :up:

6. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Busy Member

Spot on :)

7. Pietro Beretta

Seems JSR does the adaptors in a variety of barrel diameters, including 14.5mm, which may just solve the problem, of fitting a moderator to my XT501.

I'll be ordering one shortly, when I've persuaded the existing shroud to come off. :)

ETA: The XT501 barrel shroud is putting up a fight. :mad:

I may end up either removing the barrel, slicing off the end of the shroud, and having a friend press the barrel out on a hydraulic press, or simply cut the shroud off.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  8. Pietro Beretta

Just bought a PR900W, but mine has a removable cover at the end of the barrel, which exposes a threaded section, onto which fits the supplied "moderator".

DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    Turns out the threaded section is too short for the GunTuff Moderator Adaptor to fit.

Does anyone know of a screw on adaptor, that will adapt the thread to 1/2" UNF?

The current thread, on the muzzle, is 10mm x 1mm pitch.

willo1962 likes this.
  9. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Something like THIS

:thumb:

shadowryder likes this.
  10. Pietro Beretta

Something like that, but I'm not sure that one will work because, as you can see, there's a plain section about 8mm long, at the bottom of the threaded section on the barrel, whereas that adaptor appears to be internally threaded for the whole length.
    ETA: I've ordered one anyway. For a fiver, it's worth a try.

I know someone who runs an engineering company. He may be able to counterbore it, so it will fit the barrel.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:12 PM
  11. bushy72105

bushy72105 Engaging Member

@Pietro Beretta to solve your 501 problem you just need to soak it in hot water which will loosen it and a decent pull it will come off, they are notoriously difficult to get off.

I had the JSR adapter for it and it worked well

12. Pietro Beretta

Thanks for that bushy. :up:
    ETA: It worked. :nana:

Filled a stainless steel flask with boiling water, and put the end of the barrel in it, supporting the barrel with my workmate (well, my Workzone folding bench to be exact :) ) for about 15 minutes, and bingo, off it came.

Just got to wait for the scalding hot barrel to cool down, then I can re-measure, and order an adaptor for it.

Have to say, the barrel look really :cool:, with no foresight.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    bushy72105 likes this.
  13. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Busy Member

Looking at the advice I gave earlier re the barrel and adapter, it looks like SMK have changed the foresight/shroud on the newer PR900w's :/

The one I bought had a barrel weight/compensator type end with a metal foresight on top that attached with a grub screw and slid off to reveal the 10mm barrel which you could add that adapter ( or any 10mm push fit mod ) to.

That barrel looks like the CP2/PP800 style one with their own mod supplied so I guess they must be using that barrel in newer ones now.

Glad you got it sorted, but sorry for any confusion!

willo1962 likes this.
  14. bushy72105

bushy72105 Engaging Member

Glad it worked mate, don't know what they fit them with but always seems to do the trick! Enjoy.

Gat Man likes this.
  15. Pietro Beretta

Yes, I think mine's the Gen 2.

N.Vodden likes this.
  16. Pietro Beretta

Moderator adaptor for my XT501 has just arrived.:whoo:, and it looks really :cool:

IMG610.jpg
    IMG611.jpg
    I think I may replace the grub screws with shorter ones, because they stand proud of the surface, and may snag on clothing, skin etc.

Is it worth putting a rubber O-Ring in the bottom of the adaptor, and/or using a bit of Loctite on the barrel, to prevent any air or CO2 from sneaking out, instead of going through the moderator?

willo1962 likes this.
  17. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Busy Member

That looks great! Slick and streamlined.

How effective is it?

18. Pietro Beretta

I don't know, because the barrel isn't back in the gun yet. I'm still waiting on the grub screws.

I do know the moderator is pretty effective, when fitted to my Sig P226.

IMG550.jpg

I'm trying to get all my moderator capable guns to 1/2" UNF, so I can swap moderators around.

The only rifle I'm not going to be able to do that to, is my Gamo Whisper Sting, because it comes with a non-removable (unless you use a hacksaw/angle grinder) moderator.

N.Vodden likes this.
  19. Pietro Beretta

I've put the barrel back in my XT 501, but I can't shoot it yet, because I still don't have the grub screw to secure the barrel.

Anyway, with the adaptor and moderator fitted, it's 44" long.

I wonder, am I now in possession of a .22" Long Rifle? :D

ETA: Here's the finished article. :cool:

DSCF0047.JPG

Including the moderator, and moderator adaptor, the barrel is now 26" from breech to muzzle.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM
  20. Pietro Beretta

I've got the silencer adaptor back from my friend, who has counter-bored it, and it fits my PR900W, like it was made for it. :cool:

DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    I can now fit any 1/2 UNF moderator I like, and without having modified my shiny new rifle, at all. :)

willo1962 likes this.