1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SMK PR900W

Discussion in 'Technical' started by grumpygit, Feb 13, 2018.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit Member

I have an SMK PR900W pcp question is do I need an extra barrel band or should I leave it as is with floating barrel?

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

if it didnt come with one then it doesnt need one, adding a barrel band could alter the barrel harmonics and throw off accuracy.... floating barrels are usually more accurate than fixed

VIKING6661 likes this.
  3. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Is it accurate as it is? If so why change it? If not then perhaps there are other causes.

4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

The way I see it is that it was designed not to have one mate

5. badshotsyd

badshotsyd Well-Known Member

I wasn't happy with the way the barrel can be shifted too easily with the supplied barrel band,in its installed position; pick it up carelessly and the barrel, being slender, is caused it to flex, so I made an extra band which sits in front of the stock end.

Are there really harmonics with these low power rifles? I can understand the need on full bore firearms, has anyone done research on the subject regarding sub 12 ft lbs?

6. RapidStype

RapidStype Engaging Member

Rapids do the same thing and have no barrel band at all
    Even with the thicker barrel they still flex
    But they alays spring back after being leant on a tree.
    I have a 900 too and not worried about flex it shoots fine. .in fact it is like a mini rapid...and much cheaper than having a small rapid that was why I bought mine .

7. ped

ped Posting Addict

many who fit an extra band say that less poi changes occur between sessions as the barrel to breech contact is sloppy
    the stock band is too far back and a heavy silencer can cause droop
    if I had a 900 I'd fit an extra band and i'll be fitting one to a cr600 I have got

Halinfax likes this.
  8. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer....

I have just got a 900W and I agree with Ped... the fitted barrel band is sloppy.

I have made a split ally barrel band and put a .5mm slither of rubber between the barrel and band before tightening it up.
    It stops the barrel from being scuffed and also helps maintain a uniform distance between the underside of the barrel and top side of the air tube of 4.38mm (on mine anyway).

Hopefully by fitting a shim of rubber, the harmonics/resonance frequencies of any "shock" should/could be dampened to be negligible.

That's my theory on it anyway...

9. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Engaging Member

I too was concerned about the ease with which the barrel could float on my SMK PR900W. It was ridiculously easy to move the end of the barrel, and that surely cannot be right. The accuracy was okay but the constancy was questionable, and there were too many shots going wide.
    I raided the kitchen and made an extra barrel band from a piece of a Tesco chopping board, and popped it on the end of the barrel. It is only a tight, interference fit (no screws holding it in place) but it has transformed the gun's accuracy, and it now produces very tight groups at 30 yards.

Mind you, I also fitted a Lane regulator to it (not at the same time) and that has really made a difference. The gun is great fun to shoot.
    Let's face it, if you line up the sights, squeeze the trigger and hit what you're aiming at, what's not to like....

Here is the extra barrel band :

Halinfax likes this.
  10. ioxide

ioxide Well-Known Member

+1 on the barrel band, I found the barrel had way too much flex and a bit more consistent in accuracy after fitting one

11. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer....

Wing Commander, a very ingenious use of a chopping board.....

May I enquire as to why you fitted the Lane regulator. Was it to improve power or performance?

I intend to tinker with mine soon, but just for now I have made a moderator and filing port sleeve (will post pictures from my pc soon)

I have not been able to get out into the fields yet to check my 30 yard groupings, but the 10 meter ones are not to bad....

12. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Engaging Member

The tale of the Lane regulator begins thus:
    My grandson asked if he could fill the gun from our newly bought dive bottle. Before we bought the bottle, we had used a manual pump. Experience had taught us that 190 Bar was the best pressure.
    Anyway, he opened the valve (too quickly) and then didn't shut it in time. Before I could shut it for him, the gun now had 270 Bar in it..... oops.
    On shooting the gun, the performance was dismal. The power had dropped right down and it struggled to hit anything at 15 yards. The excess pressure was preventing the exhaust valve from opening properly.
    The gun finally started to pick up power when the pressure had dropped to more sane levels, but it just didn't seem to produce it's previous accuracy. It wasn't a happy gun.
    Time to take it apart and have a look.... That is when I learnt about Lane regulators.
    The hardest part of the job was removing the two "blocks" from the gun. One held the pressure gauge, the other was the valve block. Once these parts were out, the job was quite straightforward.
    I followed the installation instructions to the letter. . . If explained it would sound a lot more involved and technical than it really was, but it was all very easy.
    Whilst it was apart, it took the opportunity to polish the trigger components too, and reduce the "creep" on it.
    It all went back together nicely. The only drawback to the upgrade was having to lose the pressure gauge. The regulator replaces the old gauge block.
    From the first shot it was obvious that the rifle was vastly improved. The velocities were now very consistent and, conveniently, just under the legal limit. The regulator can be tweaked to suit personal tastes...
    It was (is) shooting at higher velocity than it did without the regulator but it is doing it reliably, shot after shot, and the accuracy has improved brilliantly. It is now capable of easily hitting sugar cubes at 35 yards, which is a favourite game played by my grandson and I.
    The Lane regulator is worth every penny. It has transformed a cheap gun into something which shoots straight and true.

ped likes this.
  13. Morris147

Morris147 Engaging Member

Interesting read as I am considering going for one of these as my first pcp. I'm not worried about running maintanace/adjustments.