1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Smk Pp700-w For 10m And Ipsc Drills. (and A Few Other Questions)

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by LimpWristedPistoleer, May 16, 2020.

1. LimpWristedPistoleer

LimpWristedPistoleer Newbie

Hi there!

Little background, I was an avid airgunner in my early teenage years but fell out of the sport when I started funneling my money into cars/motorbikes. I've always been interested in target shooting and i'll hopefully be moving to America once my Postgraduate studies are over. I've got a little bit more time on my hands now and I'd like to get a little preparation for competitive shooting in the states and have some fun with my pa like the good old days!

I've got three main goals at the moment, I'd like to practice drawing and firing accurately, generic IPSC drills and 10m/25m ISSF style shooting.

I've already got an Umarex 686 which is missing a part and a CP99 compact which needs a new seal or two. I'm intending to fix them both, sell the 686 and use the CP99 compact for some of the more IPSC specific drills.

I'm looking for something which I can practice both drawing and firing accurately, and classic 10m/25m target shooting. I'd like to buy a precharged airgun as the CP99 isn't particularly accurate, nor can a sight be mounted on it easily. Not having to pay for 12g CO2 bulbs is also also a plus.

I'm aware that I'll most likely have to make/modify a holster for a precharged airpistol - something I don't mind. I'm not too sure which to buy though; The SMK PP700-W looks perfect for its price but the reviews i've checked out aren't very comprehensive.

Do any of you own one of these, or know anyone who does? I'm mainly concerned with reliability, accuracy and what maintenance needs to be done to keep it running sweet.

Secondly, could anyone recommend a good place to buy parts for the CP99 and 686? Someone who could do a good repair job for a reasonable price would also do. I'm situated in Manchester but I can travel reasonable distances.

Finally, are there any members of pistol-specific target shooting clubs in or around Manchester? There doesn't seem to be too much information on the internet as all the websites I've looked at look quite dated. I'm well versed on safe handling practices btw.

Thanks for reading, apologies for the long post.
    Owen.

P.s. If anyone is selling a used air pistol that would be suitable for said target purposes, or a nice low profile reflex sight, I'd definitely be interested.

Kj1 and Headhunter like this.
  2. Headhunter

Headhunter My Chiappa Rhino is on it's way, YAY !!!

Hi and a big welcome to the forum :welcome:

I can't help you with your questions but I'm sure that somebody will be along shortly that can ;)

3. LimpWristedPistoleer

No worries, I appreciate the post!

Happy to be here, I basically never get to to discuss shooting with anyone but my pa (who's more into hunting with a break barrel lol), I just get funny looks and responses of concern from my colleageus so I stay schtum.

Since you're here and a revolver guy, what kind of groups are you shooting with a CO2 revolver? It could just be me, or an issue of maintenance, but my Umarex 686 seemed to spit pellets out in a fairly random direction (Hence why I'm intending to sell it to fund my PCP endeavours)

4. Headhunter

Headhunter My Chiappa Rhino is on it's way, YAY !!!

I don't own a S&W 686 but if you go here.....

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/commu...-pellet-bb-friendly-comp.279257/#post-2425342

You'll see some (well quite a lot actually) target results from forum members using different guns at short range distances (about 6m) and that should give you an idea of the possible results (they use three disciplines; rested, two handed standing & offhand/single handed standing). There's some great results with certain handguns.

5. Kj1

Kj1 Busy Member

Welcome bud, if u type in pp700 in the search bar u will have stacks to read:thumb:

6. Ade C

Ade C Posting Addict

The pp700 is single shot so not sure that's going to be what you need.
    Ironically the 686 you already have is perfectly suitable for the shooting you describe. The 6 inch barrel version being more accurate than the 4.
    For spares and repairs contact John Rothery
    https://www.bisley-uk.com/

7. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Yep, PP700 is single shot.
    The 'W' has a rail only, the 'S-A' has a rail and opens.
    Personally I find the grip/stock a little small and the balance very front heavy but that is subjective.
    Most of the guys on here with the PP700 tend to fit a shoulder stock and use it as a little carbine stylee rifle/pistol.

I have a PP800 (so am a little biased ;)) which I think is much better, much nicer and feels better in the hand.

Oh yes, it has a wooden stock and is multi shot or single shot.

You could also have a look at the PP750 too?

Dunno if that helps.

:thumb:

8. LimpWristedPistoleer

Yeah I'm aware it's single shot, regarding the draw and shoot drills I'm looking to try and draw and shoot smaller targets past the 10m mark, which I admit will be quite a challenge. My rationale is that it'd be better for this than a conventional CO2 pistol which don't seem all too accurate (especially the CP99 I've got). I'd be intending to use the CP99 compact for trying to put multiple shots (albeit with larger grouping) on a target, then move onto another and repeat.

I checked out the PP800 and a couple others and I'd rather have a single shot pistol than one with a lever or a bolt (or a stock for that matter, which is still a pretty sweet addition). I recognize that might be an odd bit of personal preference though. (unless the PP800 is semi-automatic, in which case I'm sold)

I was under the impression that I'd be able to get much tighter groups with the 700 out to 25m with a middle tier reflex sight atop (hence why I'm not too fussed about the S-A having open sights). A brief look through that thread is making me wonder if it'd be possible with what I've already got though.

I very much appreciate all of your input, including the spares and repairs link, I'll check it out now.

Thanks guys! ...I also apologise for my overuse of brackets o_O

Kj1 likes this.
  9. Ade C

Ade C Posting Addict

The 700 is a fine pistol and would easily hit out to 25 metres plus but it's not really suitable for fast draw