1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SMK DB4 broken underlever clip

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tim Park, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

Hi im new here :)
    I bought an SMK DB4 rifle last week, but unfortunately the underlever catch clip broke off with a ping this morning (sounded a bit like a garand stripper ejecting lol)
    I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get a spare from , or whether SMK will send me a new one. The gun's still shootable but I dont fancy holding the lever instead of the stock.
    I live in the derbyshire area btw.

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

hi mate did you buy it new? if so i would take it back to the shop
    and ask for the money back, save up a few quid more and get a lightning xl or a hw 95:up:;)

3. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

I got it new until I can save up for a Weirauch or Theoben, its not too bad, I was shooting pepsi bottle tops off a tree stump at 20 yards with the standard iron sights this morning, it shoots like a laser when its zeroed in. I've got a rubber band on it for now which is holding the lever in place reasonably well and im hoping to make it into a project gun....refinish the stock, new springs and maybe a scope. Dunno if I can get it replaced from where I got it cos I didn't get a receipt though i'll try.
    Do SMK do spares at all? I sent them an email but I won't get a reply till monday at the earliest.

4. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

SMK aftersales is notoriously abysmal. They only supply RFDs with parts as you may hurt yourself fitting them!!!. They are also very quick to threaten litigation for knocking them. I wouldn't touch either the company or the guns. Best bet is to return it as unfit for purpose as it's broken whilst so new and demand a refund.

5. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

i've just rang them and the part will be with me in 2 days. If not i'll return it.
    It's only a project rifle but i just got it chronoed at 11.8 ft ibs, 709 fps so its not too bad. Accurate too.
    They're probably sending the part cos its not an internal bit, though I may buy a better spring, and try and get it up to 14-odd pounds.
    I was thinking of getting a crosman Co2 but the muzzle velocity seems a bit low for hunting, only 550 fps, so i'll most likely hold out and get a decent weirauch springer/gas ram combo.
    Thanks for the help anyway :)

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Tim...uprating to "14 odd pounds" is not only not recommended and will certainly damage the gun due to increased recoil, it will make it less accurate for the same reason too, BUT it's also illegal and possesion of it alone (without ever firing a shot) is worth a 5 year stretch inside if you haven't got a Fire Arms Certificate.
    With the 11.8 ft/lbs and 709 FPS you're either using very heavy .177's or very light .22's, as that combination equates to 10.56 grains of pellet weight. The Crosman Rabbit Stopper quotes 600 FPS for .22, but doesn't say at what pellet weight. What I can confirm is that if its around the 15 grain level it's very close to maximum energy. I can also confirm that 600 FPS with 14.66 grain H&N FFT pellets is ample to dispatch a rabbit at 25/30 yds.

For information the formula for calculating the ft/lbs, as used by the Mk4 Combro cb 625 chronoscope is this...

ft/lbs = pellet weight in grains x fps x fps all divided by 450240

7. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

I used the chrono at Walkers of Trowell, and I'm using no.3 wasp 22 pellets. .177 is good for nothing other than plinking at sub 12 ft ibs imo.

8. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

your having a laugh mate .177 at 11.2 ftlbs will drop a rabbit at
    50 yds no problem:rolleyes:

9. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

I've never tried dropping anything other than birds with a .177, I'm going to give it a try before I buy my next rifle. I'm quite keen on the Brocock Hunter at the moment, they've had one in my local gunshop second hand for a while now at a good price, so that may be my next one.

10. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

tim, there will always be an issue between .177and.22
    but believe me .177 is the best allround calibre,all top hunters and hft
    shooters use it , does that not tell you something.;)

11. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Tim...I've just found this

http://extorian.co.uk/shooting/index.html

Just try putting in the weight of the eley wasp and 709 FPS and see what the Ft/lbs come out to.

Something certainly doesn't add up with the figures you're quoting.

12. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

I'll take it back and get it checked out again, only 50p a pop.

13. Darren Petts

Wasps in .22 are around 14.5 grain and 709 fps = 16+ft/lb. The DB4 is a poor quality Chinese gun that'll struggle to make 12 ft/lb without shaking itself to bits. You have either made a mistake in operating the chrono or it is broken.

As to uprating to 14 ft/lb - have you read the law?

14. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

I start my army training in a couple of weeks, so getting a firarms license for an air rifle shouldn't be too hard, plus I'll need a decent rifle for when I go hunting that will shoot straight and kill humanely.
    Apart from shaky build quality, the DB4 isn't bad at all with the right kind of pellets. I'm getting mine tested again because it seems way too powerful for 12 ft ibs. Its going through things from too far way too easily. Ie leaving a neat hole in a 1 inch thick chunk of mdf and blasting a huge chunk out the back. Its been that way since I lubed it properly and got rid of all the s****y chinese axle grease in it.

15. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Unless things have changed for the better recently, your Army training won't help you to get an FAC...just because you train to use firearms in the military doesn't mean you'll be granted one as a civilian. You'll still have to prove "good reason" like everyone else and the FAC you need for an air rifle over 12 ft/lbs is exactly the same as required for live ammunition. The warning bells are ringing as far as I'm concerned, the fact that you were actively seeking to take your gun above the legal limit knowingly, leads me to believe you may not be FAC material anyway. This is the sort of action that gets good law abiding people a bad name too...it's why there are so many regulations now and why it's so important for every one to act responsibly.
    A legal 12ft/lb gun is plenty powerul enough to hunt the vast majority of "general licence quarry" without the need for more power. If you want to hit moving targets and feel the kick and hear a big bang, then get a shotgun....you have the right to own one, it's down to the Police to prove you shouldn't.....FAC is the opposite...you have to prove you need one.

http://met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/f_reasn1.htm

16. Darren Petts

Tim.
    As Buzz says a civvy FAC has zero to do with any military career or training. Read the link in Buzz' post. If your DB4 is too powerful it's almost certainly because it is dieseling. What lube did you use in the rebuild? Use too much or the wrong kind and in the wrong areas and as the piston slams forward it burns some of the lube just like a diesel engine does. You are 100% correct to get rid of the Chinese lube as they lace the guns in it to prevent rust during transit. This leads to a very quickly burnt out seal and piston damage and wildly fluctuating power outputs which itself equates to hitting very little. The DB4 uses a leather piston washer unless they've upgraded recently and that can simply soak up lube like a sponge and then diesel for ages (thousands of shots). You need to get rid of any lube infront of the piston. Almost all new springers diesel to some degree when new so some dieseling is going to happen. Most spring guns don't fully run in until they have a couple of thousand pellets through them.

17. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

im not kidding when i say that when i first got it there were flames and a lot of smoke from the barrel, more visible cos i was firing in low light conditions.

18. Darren Petts

Get rid of all the lube from infront of the piston as soon as possible Tim before it damages the gun. It may look cool but blowing chunks out of your seal isn't conducive to a long operating life.

19. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

First thing I did, after lubing that awful stiff trigger. it's pretty sweet now. Just waiting on that part and I'm set to start tuning and modding (within legal limits of course).

20. Tim Park

Tim Park Active Member

Fixed it :)