1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Simple choice: Which rifle are you going to take out for rabbits?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by RodN, May 12, 2015.

?

Which rifle are you going to take out to shoot rabbits as your first choice?

1. .17HMR

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. .22LR

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. RodN

RodN Donator

Simple choice: Which rifle are you going to take out for shooting rabbits as your first choice?
    .22LR or .17HMR

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Depends very much on the circumstance; for example:

Is it windy or still?
    Am I stalking or ambushing?
    Am I in a hide?
    Am I lamping?
    Am I doing eradication or looking to just bag one for the pot?

3. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

Bunnies , .17 for me

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Or which gun is your current reach for gun. It's not easy and my mind changes on what I want. Currently it's the HMR as the evenings are light and it gives extra reach (without all that chairgun stuff I'm not interested in whilst stalking) Come the dark evenings it'll be the LR with the photon for closer ranges.

You really need/want both Rod. Buy a S/H .22LR bolt action (cheap and rarely knackered) and a new HMR if unsure what you are buying.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. RodN

RodN Donator

You sussed out where I was coming from Harry. :cool:
    But I still need to decide which comes first. (Hence my question) :D

6. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

when mine hit the door mat I was straight to gun shop and got my .17 browning t-bolt, next couple of weeks later s/h 10/22 .22lr then the others followed soon after

7. RodN

RodN Donator

I would be genuinely interested in your answer for each of the above.

As a matter of interest, for night shooting I would be more likely to use my IR Nitesite than lamping.
    None of my current perms have a need for mass eradication. So it would be for the pot really. (But that could change with more perms).

Rod

8. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Difficult, I bought a .22lr first and a few weeks later the HMR. I certainly use the .22lr more often... Totally different but equally enjoyable to use...How's that! :)

9. RodN

RodN Donator

Was the addition of a .22LR soon after a matter of NEED or a matter of WANT because you could?

Cheers
    Rod

10. RodN

RodN Donator

You, sir.... are incorrigible :D

Same question to you as my above question to Gasman, then.

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's exactly what I did.

If it's windy, definitely the .22lr.
    Stalking, the .17hmr, ambushing, the .22lr.
    If I was sat in a hide, most likely the .17.
    If lamping bunnies and only bunnies, then .22lr, but if Charlie is an option, then definitely the .17hmr.
    Eradication, the .17hmr, bagging one for the pot, the .22lr.

It's not a very clear-cut issue; I went with a .22lr first and then almost immediately wanted an hmr. Get both and save yourself the hassle!

12. RodN

RodN Donator

Thanks.

Now you see my dilemma, then.

So you decide before leaving home what type of shooting you are going to do?

13. harry brown

harry brown Banned

What is quite interesting is some members on here got FAC about the same time as me and went HMR. I went .22LR and loved it. Now I read their posts and they have developed a preference for .22LR and I tend to lean towards my HMR! It goes full circle and there really is no right or wrong other than what you fancy shooting that day!

If you have any safety issues on your land, I'd go HMR I suppose.

In Answer to your question. Want is the real answer!

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I try to; doesn't mean that it always ends up like that.

15. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

:D17 every day of the week for me,there's no thinking/decision involved.
    I don't own an LR

16. neiled

neiled Donator

I've had my licence about 18 months now and went out and bought a brand new 17HMR CZ455 and 2nd hand .22LR 10/22 straight away. To begin with I just couldn't put the 10/22 down as it was so much fun being able to fire 10 rounds as quick as I could pull the trigger but alas it didn't last too long as it soon became apparent that it had it's limits both distance and accuracy wise (60-70 yards max). The round ejection jamming quite often was also a real pain.

I sold the 10/22 and replaced it with a 2nd hand 14" barrel Anschutz 1417 22LR but in the meantime I was using the 17HMR more and more often and began to love it. Flat shooting from 50 to 130 yards with minimal hold over out to 180 yards this gun was amazing. I was regularly taking rabbits out to 150 yards with my best being a laser measured 178 yards :D. It is loud though :eek:

Move forward 12 months and the 22LR was being used mainly at night-time with NV until the 17HMR missed 2 easy 80 yard rabbits and on checking zero found it was all over the place. I hadn't cleaned it since I'd bought it and had put over 500 rounds through it as I'd read various posts on various forums on conflicting views about cleaning or not cleaning. I took it to a mate who gave it a thorough deep clean and on checking it was back on song and ready to go but in the meantime I'd been using the little .22LR Annie a lot.

I'd been target shooting nearly every evening at different ranges with it and had after time improved my best rabbit kill from 60 yards to 128 yards in less than 2 months :eek: after becoming familiar and comfortable with my scope mildot hold over and continual use of a laser range finder and Strelok Pro app on my mobile both of which are invaluable. Earlier this week I took a rabbit at 170 yards with it so the 17HMR is sat in the safe for now but I'm sure it'll be back in favour very soon and I'll also be trying to improve my distance with it up to the 200 yards mark although I can't spent so much time practising with it as it's so loud and the ammo is quite expensive.

That's my take on it which I hope helps out.

By the way it's been months since I used my FAC Rapid.

17. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

HMR or WMR for me as a general rule, buts that's purely because of our farms geography, since using contractors our fields have been opened up to allow the uber combines to work efficiently, the magnum rimfires lends themselves to topography.

LR is a must for any FAC holder.

18. snapperspike

snapperspike Engaging Member

I find it difficult to say really, because of the varying conditions, whatever fits the variables !
    BUT, I can tell you, 100%, that WHICHEVER you take, IT'LL BE THE WRONG ONE !! :D :D
    Hands up all those who have it happen all the time !!! :)

19. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I only got my my .22lr to manly shot at the club on the 50 and 100 yard range,may be if I need to shot bunnies quietly I'd pick up the ruger America but apart from that I'd All ways go straight for the .17
    to be fair I love having both :D

20. 177

177 Donator

Easy choice for me, because I only have one of them :)

.22lr

I debated long and hard regarding the HMR and came to the conclusion that the significantly higher running costs and noise penalty offered no useable advantage on most of my shoots when compared to a much quieter option. That says more about the ground I shoot over and the surroundings than anything else.

I've used .17HMR a fair bit and I like it, but it is not as useful to me in my particular circumstances, taking limitations of the areas immediately surrounding several shoots into account. One golf course permission I have was very specific that I didn't use anything louder than a moderated .22lr - it's a rural area with a small village close enough to take noise into account.

I'd like a .17HMR at some point, but the .22lr is my go-to gun for the majority of my rabbit shooting and, unless I change the ground I shoot over, that doesn't need to change any time soon.

I've not used the FAC Rapid much at all since I got the .22lr - I tend to use a combination of sub 12 air rifles and the .22lr for the majority of what I do, and the .223 and .270 for other stuff.

Good luck whatever you decide on :)