1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Silencers

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Anyone ever tried to put different internals inside, what do you find works best washers and springs, sound proof material, what have you tried. :)

2. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Andy, As a kid I made one with v.fine copper wire wound ino a loose sausage. It was RAF.
    It might have even worked a little bit.
    Can't really remember:).
    This is a v.interesting thread as I'm trying to source some materials to improve some of my less effective silencers.
    Cheers

3. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Hair curlers work well so im told :D

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

That's whats in the HW silencers :D

5. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

I've found that close tolerances on the baffles work wonders. A 4.5mm pellet wants a 5mm hole. Most silencers are made for a .22 sized pellet or bigger. I've gone smaller than 5mm but ended up with groups opening. I can't say if that's down to clipping because my alignment wasn't 100% or if I intruded upon some boundary layer of air such as found on wings and golf balls etc.

6. airgunengineer

airgunengineer Member

Some time ago I bought a job lot of air brake filter/silencers. These are formed of sintered polyethylene to form a porous plastic shell. They are intended to silence the air output of pneumatic machines working at about 150 psi. But with some modification they can be used as sound absorbers and baffles in airgun silencers. They are in the form of hollow cylindrical shells about 1inch outer dia by 5/8inch inner dia by about 2in long with one closed end and a solid plastic threaded mounting at the other. They machine well in the lathe. I am still working on a final design for use in a silencer and may have something ro report in due course.

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Chaps, One everyday material I've found is the air filters from small Stihl chainsaws, its a fibrous polymer of some type, pressed into a sheet about 4mm thick.
    It's v.tough and has no lint, fire retardant and chemical resistant.
    It could be cut into "washers" and spaced along the inside of a silencer.
    I put my old rimfire silencer on an airgun, it barley worked.
    It was quieter if I turned the cups around!!
    Cheers.