1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Silencers –– 56 Of Them! With Specs + Loudness Tests + Photos

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by JungleShooter, Jan 23, 2021.

1. JungleShooter

JungleShooter Engaging Member

56-Silencer Specs Table

New silencers are out! (including 2 from Weihrauch, with good looks)

New silencer tests are out!

Here is a Silencer Specs Table comparing 56 silencers, mostly for PCPs. That’s the first PDF attachment.
    Included are length, girth, weight. Calibers available. Connectors available. Prices.

A second PDF attachment shows photos of some of the silencers.

Table of Contents and Overview
    • Silencer Specs Table – Sorted by Length
    56 Silencers
    13 Silencer Loudness Comparison Tests
    From 0.88" (2.2cm) thin – to 2.0" (5.1cm) thick
    From 2.9" (7.4cm) short – to 10.50" (26.7cm) long
    From $26 to $270
    In 6 calibers. From .177 to .50 (4.5mm to 12.7mm)
    With 6 extensions, to create your mega or monster silencer, up to almost 17" (43cm)!

Also included:
    • Silencers – Limited to Certain Gun Brands or Models or Springers
    • Makers of Custom Silencers
    • Loudness Comparisons: Test Details
    • Links to Some Sellers and Prices
    • Photos of Some of the Silencers ➔ separate file!

Happy silencer shopping!

Matthias

❌ Attachment 1:
    SILENCER Specs Table. 23. 2021-01.pdf

❌ Attachment 2:

SILENCER Photos. 23. 2021-01.pdf

Attached Files:

2. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Hi Matthias

You clearly put a lot of time and effort into this, and I applaud your commitment to doing this kind of stuff, but realistically, the first and foremost thing people want to know about a moderator is how effective it is, and unfortunately, in that respect, your table completely misses the mark :oops: A moderator is to quieten the gun, and no matter how many specs you put into your table it just does not give you any indication of the moderators effectiveness, for that you need them all to be tested on the same gun/calibre/power/conditions and equally measured both at the muzzel and say 30m or 50m downrange. Now that would be interesting ;)

Are you doing this as part of a college paper or similar? I do admire the sheer volume of information you gather on many products and then openly post the information out of forums, so I'm trying to be constructively critical rather than knock your work, because it's way more than I have ever gathered and tabulated. I'm just wondering if your asking the right questions when your doing it? :rolleyes:

James

pjgtech likes this.
  3. Lordy 74

Lordy 74 Big Poster

Wow , big job that , well done there.

4. JungleShooter

James, :)
    thanks for your appreciation and your suggestions! :thumb:

➔➔ Maybe I need to make this clearer in the table....

▪ The first column of the table tell us what calibers are available for the particular model.
    The next 13 columns are the test results of airgunners who have tested certain silencers they had available.

▪ The test conditions are described at the end of the table in the section entitled Loudness Comparisons: Test Details.

Comparisons of test results
    It is not advisable to make comparisons between loudness numbers of different tests, but only between loudness numbers within the same test.
    Here the shopper can see how certain models — under certain conditions — compare to each other.

Testing ALL 56 silencers.... :thumb:
    Of course, I wished the testers would include more silencers in their tests....
    However, to make a comparison test of all 56 silencers, you'd have to spend more money than you'd need to buy a used car....

:loser: When selecting and using a silencer there are certain general principles
    Taking those principles into account can assure you're getting the most out of using a silencer on the AG:

(1) Springersdon't benefit much from a silencer.

(2) High power uses more more air, thus creates more noise, so a silencer on a FAC gun really makes a different — and which model exactly seems to not be so important — most mid-priced and higher models have good performance.

(3) A shrouded PCP with a silencer is quieter than the same gun with that silencer but without the shroud.

(4) PCP power tuning: A PCP with 12FPE ME that is tuned to produce that power with a long burst of air at a lower regulator pressure will produce more noise than a 12FPE PCP tuned to give a short burst of air at a higher pressure (=harder hammer spring tension, with higher regulator pressure).

(5) What we're interested in as airgunners is not hearing protection, but neighbour protection.... (protection FROM them, really!).
    So, if the silencer changes the perception of the sound from a SHOT to a THUD or to something other than a sharp crack — all is well.

(6) On GTA we recently has a long discussion of how to measure silencer effectiveness — and it is hugely complicated matter. Way complicated.....
    ➔ Maybe pick out a couple of silencers you like from the list — and ask around in your local gun clubs or the forums for people who have one or more of the models on your wish list. ➔ Meet, try out, buy them a drink, and buy yourself the model that performed to your liking!

:loser: Why all those specs? How do they help?
    I agree that a silencer should decrease the loudness of the gun. Of course.
    However, the tests and comments on the forums seem to point to the fact that a mid-priced or higher priced silencer will do a pretty good job decreasing loudness.
    So, then the purchase decision comes down to other specs, like:
    ▪ Some don't like a can hanging off their barrel, they want a silencer with a small diameter.
    ▪ Some don't want to make their short gun much longer, so to them length is the critical spec.
    ▪ Some are price conscious.
    ▪ Some like the cool lines and indentations of a Hugget or the new Weihrauch XL — a plain Jane silencer on their four-digit priced airgun isn't going to cut it for them.
    ▪ Some don't want to mess with an adaptor, and want to know if a silencer model has the right connector for their gun.

:loser: How some of my Specs Tables came into being
    After getting bogged down with trying to compare the products that were out there, clicking from one webpage to the next, sometimes not getting the info I needed — I decided to make a specs table for myself:
    For .22 high BC pellets, HP pellets, slugs, scopes, adjustable scope mounts, bullpups, synthetic stock springers — and silencers....

And well, then I thought there must be others like me that want to know what exactly is out there in the market. :)
    And buy just the right product, not just what they happened to find in the time they spent on their internet search.

And so, for others to understand my Specs Tables I wrote some explanations and tried to keep them updated. :thumb:
    Sure, they are US-based, but most products that are available in the US are also available in the UK — the leading country for all things airguns! :)

I hope it helps some!

Matthias

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Vard and nevadacowboy like this.
  5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

This reminds me of the punchline to a joke I've heard about a manager and an engineer, but basically it ends like this:

MANAGER: You must be an engineer, because although I'm sure you have given me all the information and been diligent in doing so, you have still not answered my question and I'm no better off :facepalm:

ENGINEER: You must be a manager, because although I've given you all the information to help you, somehow it's still my fault :eek:

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  6. JungleShooter

James,

thanks for giving me a chuckle and producing a wide grin on my face after some difficult hours!

Greetings from Peru,

Matthias

jesim1, MoggyM and DSTM like this.