1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Silencer Thread Die

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Johnc61, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

due to odd barrel diameter, to make it easier, what is the thread die? 1/2 UNF but is it 20 TPI ?

2. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

not sure if i understand your post, but the common 1/2unf has 20 tpi.

3. Nobby

Nobby Busy Member

Not a good idea to put a thread on the barrel with a die, if that was the thought. Properly screwcut in the lathe is the better way.

talent likes this.
  4. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

why? i presume hes asking about an airgun barrel, a die in a tailstock die holder is fine.perhaps not for a firearm where everything
    has to be perfect.

5. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Yes, air rifle barrel but on an under leaver one, not break barrel. My lathe is too small but can’t take barrel off easy. Don’t mind barrel adapter but full length barrel diameter is 15.3 mm except the very end where the front sight was fitted. That more narrow end is 13.4 mm. Barrel adaptor useable that 13.4 size? Didn’t think die use was a problem but open to opinions and thoughts. Do have metal silencer with 1/2 UNF thread but could also open up that thread to 13.4 and drill hole through silencer side at that end and thread tap it to use screw to fix to the barrel.

6. Nobby

Nobby Busy Member

Maybe I'm being picky but I think screwcut is better, it has to be square that way, the OP didn't mention a tailstock die holder, and in any case ideally the axis of the silencer needs to coincide with the bore of the barrel. A die will centre on the OD not the bore.

What is against having an adaptor? It could be bored a close fit to the barrel but getting the thread concentric with the bore remains tricky.

7. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Busy Member

Is it actually worth putting a silencer on a springer

8. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

most air rifles have the bore fairly central, if not dead centre, near enough .op best of using an adapter.
    with a tail stock die holder,the barrel needs to be fed through head stock and held in chuck.if its not poss,you will not get
    a straight thread using a die as a hand tool

9. Dag

Dag Big Poster

I have them on most of mine as I can use them in the garden with a bit more piece of mind re neighbours. I don't take them off when at the range as that would change the poi.
    Jim

bucketboy and shauny like this.
  10. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

google "shauny moderators" and watch the vid of the lgv with a mod fitted. the vid doesnt really do it justice,as he is shooting at
    steel plates,which make lots of noise.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Hmmm, modifying an adapter is easier. And yes the silencer helps garden noise use against the neighbours (not a Springer problem but always worth trying) but in this case the metal one helps change the balance to make the rifle better to handle. Thanks everyone for debate and advice. Will see what I do and add photos as well, just to add to this. Cheers.

12. rich79

rich79 Donator

I did one once at work, I didn't clock the bore as even if you get the bore central you don't know what angle the pellet is exiting at, I put a size cylinder gauge down the muzzle & clocked each end of that.

13. ped

ped Post Whore

you'll find that the one of the most important part in threading a barrel is to get the shoulder square as most threads have a bit of slop in them and it is the shoulder that keeps everything square
    1/2" unf is 20tpi but a common size for powder burners is 12x28 unef
    if you can't get it in a lathe but have access to machines you can make a long die holder that is a long tube that slips over the barrel with bushings to ensure it's square and will if you machine it square
    this only cut's the thread to the barrel outer though so if the bore wanders like most do to a degree unless hammer forged then you will still possibly get alignment issues

HW100Tuning likes this.
  14. terry1001

terry1001 Donator

The mod isn’t really aligned with the thread but on the shoulder and this must be square to the bore. Generally the barrel will need to be reduced in diameter in order to get the correct thread size and a lathe is the best way to do this, if set up properly the shoulder and the thread od will be aligned correctly with the bore.
    There are die holders which have a section which fits over the work to be threaded and keeps the die square to the work.
    Most small lathes won’t take Springer barrels through the headstock and complications such as underlevers and front sights may well make it better to use a slip on adapter or mod

15. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Thanks again! Adaptor is most likely so rethinking what to do. Sounds strange but looks wrong at the moment so decision decision. Fun all the time.

16. Nobby

Nobby Busy Member

Here's one I made earlier, in true Blue Peter tradition:

Yours might need to be slimmer so as not to foul the underlever, maybe.

[​IMG]

Johnc61 likes this.
  17. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

i always use a tailstock die holder and have never had any alignment issues

Attached Files:

Johnc61 likes this.
  18. ped

ped Post Whore

tailstock dye holders are only any good if the tailstock is perfectly aligned with the head stock and all parts of the holder are perfectly aligned to the die
    far better to use single point threading to start the tread form then use a properly adjusted split die to finish off the thread

19. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

as said .no issues using a tail stock die holder.and have done quite a lot.

20. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Busy Member

Sorta disagree with this one - more important is the shoulder being square to the bore. The thread can be a right mess (seen it lots of times) but if the shoulder is square it will pull the mod straight when tightened.

raven hunter and shauny like this.