1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Show Us Your Squirrel Feeder

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Marky-Boy, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Marky-Boy

Marky-Boy Just The Two + 1

I’m in the middle of making a Squirrel feeder from an old aluminium fishing box. I thought it would be cool to see what you lot have made
    Did anyone fit a target or spinner on the feeder to check point of aim?
    Any Tips from what you have learnt along the way would be appreciated.
    And how did you attach it to the tree?
    Photos/Pics Please
    Cheers AGF

RICHGCOOP and Herb64 like this.
  2. Herb64

Herb64 Engaging Member

This works well for me though I’ve moved it to another location. Sides are about 16 inches high and it holds a fair amount of food. I use wheat and chopped maize. Started with peanuts but found the greys would eat what I now use. Most important bit I’ve found is to put a piece of plastic board inside the box so feed slides into the front keeping the hopper filled.

Attached Files:

Marky-Boy and Rat reaper like this.
  3. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Post Whore

9F8AB492-015D-4664-82B7-758FAEE7A7DC.jpeg 6F1A85CF-02B6-40A5-BC5E-92A02BE4518F.jpeg Here’s mine ,it’s a good idea to plate it with some tin because if the food runs out they will chew at it also fix a ramp inside it to allow the bait to fall through.
    The top pic is themadspread one , his has a hinged top to stop anything else taking the food .
    A 15 mm spinner has been fixed to every feeder I have

Tadpole, Herb64 and Marky-Boy like this.
  4. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Post Whore

Also make sure the lid over hangs enough to keep the food dry .i like to keep a lip around the base to help stop the food spilling on the floor squirrels can be messy eaters

Herb64 and Marky-Boy like this.
  5. Marky-Boy

Brilliant thank you
    I have made a nice aluminium ramp inside so the feed slides towards the hopper I’ll take some pics of the inside when I cut a door in the Top
    Cheers

Herb64 likes this.
  6. Marky-Boy

Cheers buddy
    Mines made of Aluminium do you think they will nibble that?
    I see this on a YouTube vid IMG_8470.jpg
    A little roof just for the food
    Cool I’ll definitely sort out a little spinner for it

Beads, Rat reaper and Herb64 like this.
  7. Herb64

Herb64 Engaging Member

They won’t nibble aluminium. I don’t use a lid on the bit the feed comes out as like wild birds to feed from it. I find it encourages squirrels if they see movement of wild life.

Rat reaper and Marky-Boy like this.
  8. Marky-Boy

Maybe I’ll compromise and fit one half way so bids can get to it
    Would be nice to get my first EVER Jay off my feeder

9. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Post Whore

I don’t usually use a lid either but I can fill it on a regular bases if I need but if you can’t get to your perm regularly the woodies will hammer the food and you will run out

Marky-Boy likes this.
  10. Marky-Boy

I can’t fill mine on a regular basis hence mine is rather big compared to some.
    I don’t mind a woodie or two
    Do you screw or strap yours?

Rat reaper likes this.
  11. Herb64

Herb64 Engaging Member

Screw a piece of wood to tree to support the feeder weight then use a strap. pack of 4 from Amazon for about £10.00 Use 2 gives you an excuse to make another feeder!!!

Marky-Boy likes this.
  12. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Post Whore

I use fence post the ones that fit in a metal spiked socket, I find there a good height to reach to fill up and high enough to keep deer of them , I always fix a couple of branches to them

Attached Files:

bobjen38 and Marky-Boy like this.
  13. Marky-Boy

Cheers buddy I was contemplating using straps but I’ll be fitting it high up (7-8ft maybe higher) on my own food for thought I’ll get it made first
    Thinking thinking........

14. Marky-Boy

To be honest buddy I was hoping to fit mine high on a tree so no one can mess about with it
    Did you coat yours with under seal?

Rat reaper likes this.
  15. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Post Whore

Good idea just remember to take some steps with you when you fill it up ,3 coats of some sort of under seal don’t know what type it was Andy themadspread got it from work and it’s good sh**

Marky-Boy likes this.
  16. Marky-Boy

I intend to leave a ladder in the ditch close by where I intend to build a permanent hide the farmer thinks I’m bonkers! I am!
    Haha cool I may just pop to rock bottom or pound land and coat mine good stinking Batman

17. critter

critter Donator

There was a squirrel on my feeder yesterday only problem was farmer had parked the tractor in the way so lucky squirrel.

Attached Files:

Marky-Boy likes this.
  18. Marky-Boy

Naughty farmer Tidy box buddy easy to top up too I’m I little worried if I set mine that low someone may mess about with it
    How many to date have you had on it?

19. critter

critter Donator

About 6 up to now that's not as many as some perms have got but would be more if could spend more time on it, I'm still pleased with it anyway better than I thought it would be.

Marky-Boy likes this.
  20. windymiller

windymiller bm100 thumbhole

IMG_20180911_141949259[1].jpg

made these two for blackmax and fitted a spinner to them with a slanted base inside the feeder, mesh is stainless and wood is oak, on mine i have ended up drilling a few holes in the tray and making the lid overhang more to keep off rain etc but mine has now got me 54 squirells in a few months, yesterday saw 53 and 54 and today the trail cam pics revealed another 4 munching ma nuts !!! :eek::eek::eek: