1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

should i sell my hw100 and stick to springers??

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by biggaz, May 3, 2012.

1. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

LOL just thinking recently since getting my new tx200, the springers are more fun and more of a challenge!

i do a lot of shooting at the range but also some hunting. hw100 is ideal for the range but is quite "easy"....

just after using the tx200 for a bit i didnt wanna pick the hw100 up!. Anyone else ditched the pcp, bottle etc in favour of a good owld springer collection?

Then i was thinking what other spring guns could i replace the hw100 with? the tx is one of the best to be fair? pro sport (too similar) hw98 (had one for a bit was a bad example) hw97? Just wondering if you went this route did you regret it? Maybe a cheaper pcp (aimed towards hunting) like a ultra tact or summit and another springer.

thoughts?

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

3. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

Ha ha i commented on that aswell! so did you regret it or not had chance to find out yet?

4. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

I've never owned or even shot a PCP .. For me air rifles are all about buying the ammo, sorting out your scope and then just getting on with it, the thought of buying gas bottles, refilling or having to pump up every number of shots seems crazy to me. Have you thought about going down the gas ram route with a theoben? worth consideration as imo they are every bit as good as a springer. Plenty of great springers out there... What about that Diana target hunter 440 (think is called that) - in the gun gallery thread - looks very nice and supposably better quality than HW's and AA's!

5. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

i will have a look at the diana's cheers, maybe summit mite take me fancy!

it is a bit of a faff with the pcp's, they are nice though hmmmm..

6. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

The pcp market is just all as much the same my springers will outshoot any pcp. It's whether the person behind the trigger can outshoot me. My spring guns are more than capable than what I will ever achieve. PCPs are great but for me I like a challenge.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

I would say keep the HW100 for hunting and use the springers down the range for practice. That's what I do and I reckon it makes me a better shooter.
    The old saying is true, if you can shoot a springer well you can shoot a PCP really well, but this doesn't work in reverse;)

8. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

yeh i see what your saying, however ive just discovered the theoben slr 98, wow! (thumbhole)

is thtis still available? ££££ though LOL

9. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Diana 470 TH best spring gun I've ever shot. If you can come to the greyhound can arrange you to shoot one bring your tissues!!

10. theobencarbine88

Theoben dont sell the SLR 98 anymore but you can still pick them up 2nd hand. If you got the cash the Evolution thumbhole would be the modern equivalent, not got the multishot magazine.. £500 at least for a new one of em though! .. If i do buy an air rifle again it will be a theoben, just need to save up for one as they dont often come cheap.

11. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

Is the evolution regarded as better than the hw98?

12. zigzag

zigzag Well-Known Member

HI keep it you will go back to it :up:

13. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

No chance...

14. theobencarbine88

Probably going to get a mixed response with this question... Weihrauch's top range springer vs Theoben latest generation gas ram. Having owned the 98 its basically a hw95 with some bling.. i expected more. Not shot the evolution but its british engineering at it's finest quality, all rifles are custom built to order. I'd rate the evolution higher than the 98 by a fair margin. Some people dont like gas ram's though.

15. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Unless I come over all funny at some point I don't think I'll ever own anything other than springer rifles.

If that's what the OP wants I'd say do it.

16. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Just booked the courier tonight - we go ahead with the swap next Tuesday (bloody public holiday on Monday, innit?). The more I think on it the less I regret it bud - I'm going to be spoiled for choice out of 3 of the best spring rifles out there (my custom 95 in .20's a belter as it is).

Not even in the same league to put it mildly - HW98's essentially a HW95k in a different stock with the addition of a barrel sleeve. I like gasram rifles but the Evo's trigger is absolutely s**t compared to the HW Rekord unit and I speak from experience because I used to own an Evo in .20. Theoben used to have decent triggers on their rammers before they were sold to whoever it was that bought them (a Spanish company IIRC) but since then the triggers (and many say the general quality) of their rammers has gone to the dogs. Put it this way: Ben Taylor steadfastly refuses to have anything to do with any trigger unit that was produced after he packed his bags.

17. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

cheers people....

after the "experience" with the 98 it put me off but i do love them and wouldnt mind one :) cant help thinking though id be dissapointed "out of the box" compared to the tx200 though? Was twangy as hell and want a springer that doesnt HAVE to be tuned on day 1.

What sort of money would the 100 be worth? 100s full length, about a year old and mint, with 2 mags etc and 7ltr 300 bar bottle?

This is tempting lol, i think sometimes one decent springer is enough as two good ones would be pointless but i guess there all different to shoot right?

18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

FWIW I'd keep the 100 for hunting; it's a much more capable tool (easier to shoot, multishot) and you owe it to your quarry to do your best to knock it over cleanly.

I have numerous PCPs and springers.. much as I like using both (more the springers recently) if something needs killing I reach straight for the S410 - easier to use and you have a second shot should you need it.

I've found that on a bad day with a PCP you hit less, on a bad day with a springer you hit absolutely b****r all :p

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

yeh i see what you mean, its handy for hunting but also .177 and think a .22 would be better....

Surely though theres plenty of succesfull spring hunters here?

20. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

I used to be a succesful springer hunter but that was years ago in my youth when I used to hunt. All I kill now is tin cans.