1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a super10?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by .22 Benny, Feb 26, 2014.

1. .22 Benny

.22 Benny Engaging Member

Basically a friend of mine has an old super10 hanging around that he doesn't want anymore that i'm interested in buying. It shoots spot on and seems to be in reasonable condition. My question is though how much are they worth and are there any common issues with them (Besides the bottle O-rings failing), i'm not sure what model the gun is but the gun is cocked by simply drawing the bolt back so that rules out mk3. It has the fugly lump of wood as a stock so if I had to guess i'd assume it's a mk1.

Any info you guys had would be much appreciated.

2. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

They are good rifles, the actions are basically the same with all mk's its just the stocks that change. If they need a service and you can do them yourself, with a couple of collets, if it doesn't leak then its probably fine.

£180 is cheap £250 normal and the later ones are £375.

Carbines and full length available.

HTH

John

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

An "acquired taste"; sorry to disagree with John above, but IMO:

The Mk1 has more value as a collector's item than a working gun.. there was a valuation thread on here a while ago; try searching the sales graveyard for the resultant ad to get an idea of an appropriate price. I think a value of around £250 was mooted for one in good nick; obviously less if it's a sh*tter :p

Personally I hate the bloody things and wouldn't give them house room - the regs are notoriously unreliable, as are the mags and they're not particularly easy or straightforward to work on or set up. If you get the tools and knowledge to re-seal the reg yourself and are happy to spend the time on it more power to you - if not it will cost £80-100 to get BSA or Bowkett to sort it out for you.

If you do decide to buy; thoroughly check its consistency and muzzle energy over the chrono- if it shows any weird behaviour chances are the reg's goosed - walk away or offer £50 for it. Also check that the mags index properly; presenting every chamber to the breech. These were sloppy to start with any only get worse with wear; meaning they skip chambers when indexing ;)

4. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

I've got a mk2 and it does its job well. Never had any problems with it at all. Had to swill one of the mags out with wd40 to get some grit out and buy some bottle seals. Other than that, no problems.

5. .22 Benny

So... back to looking for a cheap hw100 then? :p

6. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Have a play with it and make your own mind up, they were called the poor mans Theoben in their day, I have three and have had no problems with them when I'd set them up. If its cheap I'd give it a go.

John

7. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I had a Mk3 Blueprinted in .177 it was a very accurate bit of kit only sold it as I bought an R-10 hth .............. :coffee:

8. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

I have a superten And it's a superbly accurate gun and for me that's what it's all about and if you can get one for £180 bite his hand off and then send it to John Bowket for a blueprint tune and it will come back better than when it was new FACT. ATB Paul.

9. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Identifying your Super 10 from the stock!

[​IMG]
    mark 1 with scalloped stock!

[​IMG]
    Rare Realtree dipped mark 2
    [​IMG]
    Mark 2 carbine (they sold them with those silencers as without them the barrel length is shorter than the airbottle)... Note flat bottom of stock.

[​IMG]
    mark 3 carbine note R10 like lip near airbottle!

[​IMG]
    Mark 3 bull barrel carbine with XTX adaptor, Twink Mk 2 silencer and a full Bowkett blueprint and CS800 stock..... MMMMMMMM!

10. harryholic

harryholic Active Member

Have owned two - a full length real-tree, and a standard carbine. Both Mk2's
    Never had any issues with circa ten years of ownership.
    Mag's did get sticky after a few years, but that was WD40 to resolve, and after a decade - buying a new mag.

High shot count over other non-premium PCP's is their key benefit.

Early 2000's they were around £500 new - not a cheap gun, and although not a Daystate or a Theoben, were pretty competent and practical. Current equivalent the R10 is a 650 to 700 item, so even at £300 if everything works well, they represent good value to me.

Did recall after the first few years on the market, the regulators were discussed as not something the home enthusiast should look at repairing, and were a replace item if they failed. Other guns on the market were more "tinkering friendly".

As someone who always enjoys a good plink before heading off on a bit of hunting, sub 100 shot per fill guns just don't cut the mustard.

Have in the past year picked up some of the all metal double mag's - 10 shots, pull out, turn over insert and you get another 10 shots, which has made them even more practical in the field.

Later Mk3's are - to my eyes - some of the most attractive buddy bottle rifles on the market. - From what I've read the R10 replacing the S10, was more about parts commonality with other guns in the range bring production costs down, than it being an outright better device.

11. .22 Benny

Thanks for the posts fellas, from the pictures moley posted it's a mk2 carbine. Put it over the chrony and it's shooting bisley magnums at 680fps with about 8fps spread over about 20 shots, the only issue is i'm not sure on the weight of the magnums as there's no info on the tin. Internet told me they're 10.5grain so it should be putting out about 10.8ft/lbs? Is lacking 1 ft/lb going to make much difference? Asides from that the gun seems fine, havn't really talked prices yet but i'm thinking £200-250.

12. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I bought my BSA Superten brand new in 1998. When it works it is bliss, but it has been a lot of agro from the start. The magazines drop to bits and I have found the regulator to be unreliable. When one month old the regulator failed resulting in a wounded rabbit I couldn't take another shot at as the barrel jammed. I have spent way more than the original purchase price on countless repairs over the years. I only keep it as it was an 18th birthday gift. Would never buy another.

13. bunny basher

bunny basher Engaging Member

i have had 2 off these first 1 a mk2 full length in .22 witch i have just finished working on fitted a fast fill kit no moor removing the bottle and skeleton and re finish the stock

2nd was the mk2 reel-tree camo carbine in .22

and they wear both great guns just get the new red mags

14. cloverleaf

The most commonly touted mass for the Bis Mags is 10.6gn, which would give you a muzzle energy of 10.9ftlb. This is a bit low but not the end of the world; although bear in mind that it will most likely be even lower with lighter pellets. In addition, I'd tread very carefully as reg seal failure allows the reg to partially or totally pressurise; causing the output pressure to rise and muzzle energy to fall ;)

15. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i like mine and will love it if i pull my finger out and send it off to jb

16. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Witnessing all the multishot problems with old and brandnew BSAs i wouldnt touch a multi shot i dont wish to sound negative but my experience with multishot BSAs has been very bad, i dont like the design or function of the magazines either.
    I feel sorry for the new shooters that turn up with brandnew Ultras/scorpions full setups and there first experience is mags not working or jamming even to the point that the mags wont even come out of the gun.

17. secretagentmole

Should have had it blueprinted, lifetime warranty on it then!

I have never had a problem with any of mine, most reliable gun ever owned!

18. .22 Benny

So if I get it blueprinted he'l reset the regulator power? Would it be worth it for an old gun? I get on with the gun well enough. It's what, £125 for the blueprint and then another £20 to send, £20 to get sent back? Saying I can get the gun for £250 I guess we're looking at just over £400. Worth it?

19. cloverleaf

Yes, a blueprint should sort any reg problems. As to whether it's worth it - in terms of market value, probably not (might be worth £300-350 when finished..?) to you; only you can answer that ;)

20. secretagentmole

You will get it back with a rebuilt (as new) regulator, new hammer spring and assebly, fettled trigger, barrel crown and breech, probe, it is basically like getting a new gun, he will also balance the spring to the hammer action on the rifle, tell you what pellets are most accurate in it from the large variety he tests with.

It is worth it as it will basically be a new gun when you get it back, then save up buy a CS stock for it and nobody will know what mark you have got!