1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

shotgun problems

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by Tatts, May 13, 2015.

1. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I treated myself to a Mossberg 500 hushpower 20g about a fortnight ago. It says to put 100 shots through it to bed it in so I took it clay shooting. Luckily I had glasses etc as I kept getting hit by something in my glasses and on my cheek. Due to the weight I only fired two boxes before switching to the Beretta.
    Couple of days later I decided to walk the farm (no glasses) and I get hit in the eye twice and on the cheek. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was being hit by stray pellets. This is when I contacted the shop I bought it from who then got in touch with the people who make them. A few hours later I receive a phone call telling me a small batch of guns left with a seal missing and to return it. I was told it would be repaired and posted back out the same day. I sent the barrel back and they received it at 9:04 on Thursday morning, I emailed the postage receipt to them on the friday. I have had no replies by email and no phone calls as promised. I phoned them on Monday morning for them to tell me the courier has just this second delivered it (obviously lies).

This is a serious matter to me (I could have lost an eye) topped by poor customer service, no contact and just lies, it is quite disappointing to be honest. How it left the factory firing stray pellets from the rear of the silencer is not good.
    Not sure what next? Wait it out? Basc?

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Are you sure they mean a seal? There are none in the mod as far as I am aware.
    The components all thread together. Are you sure it pellets coming backwards there would need to be a massive gap where the rear bush fits to the barrel to allow the pellet out if there were that big of a gap the whole mod would be lose. If pellets hit the silencer baffles they would still need to get past 2 bushes that fit Very very tightly.
    The only thing I can think of is some totally wrong components have been used .
    After you fired a shot did bits of lead and metal fall out the gun? Could you hear any rattle?
    Cheers Andy

3. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I was told 7 guns left with a seal missing.
    the barrel just before the mod was grey as if powder was coming out the back of the mod. I unscrewed the silencer as per the manual and there was a lot of lead in it (after the clays). A large piece of plastic also fell out (long black strip like half a cartridge). A couple of shots on the farm and it sounded like it was full or marbles again which they told me was normal.

4. r10hunter

I Really don't know then none of mine have seals.
    Certainly not normal to have any rattle. I have never even seen a pellet in one of mine.
    (You weren't using plastic wad clay shells were you ) that could explain the plastic? stick to fibre wads, the ports in the barrel can rip a plastic wad to bits and leave plastic in the mod, they can cause baffle strikes if the wad gets really badly torn up.
    I find in 20 bore eley high flyer fibre wad and gamebore hushpower shoot the best.
    I can understand soot coming back if the rear bush was not fitted correctly but not pellets.
    Saddlery and gun room are normally very good I would let them get to the bottom of the problem.
    Best of luck
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Gun was bought brand new. I bought a slab of hull fibre wad #6, I was given two boxes of eley in #6 fibre so I don't know were the plastic came from. It's definitely not soot, I had a black eye to prove that.

If they had been honest with me it wouldn't have bothered me so much but to lie about when it had been delivered when it's been signed for... No updates as promised etc.

6. r10hunter

Update this thread when you find anything out won't you I will be interested.
    Cheers Andy

7. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I wouldn't mind knowing myself, I can't see why something this serious got sold tbh.
    Phoned them today and was told they have had the police in for three days stock taking (even though they've had it 7days) and its the next job in line so they'll post it out on Tuesday.

8. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Barrel back today, a full box later and nothing has hit me in the face. I was told 'A manufacturing process had been missed" and when I asked what this meant I was told "no silicone sealent was applied".
    So basically I almost lost an eye twice, I've been without the gun for two weeks, spent £17.50 on postage for something I could have done myself and made a better job if I may say so ........ Not impressed ...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. r10hunter

Christ !!!
    That's bad !!
    When you first took the moderator off before you sent it back was the bush in place sealing the threaded collar to the barrel. The silver ring in this picture when looked at from inside. Sounds a little more than a dab of silicone missing if stuff was coming back and hitting you. View attachment 117184
    Cheers Andy

10. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

I'm guessing you have no special silicone? lol
    I honestly couldn't tell you about the ring, I never looked at it in detail as I don't know what I'm looking for. One difference I have noticed is it's quiter and there's no lead in there rattling about. I wonder if that large plastic strip that fell out had something to do with it?
    I'll take the mod off this weekend and see what's underneath :up:

11. Tatts

Tatts Posting Addict

Finally got round to removing the mod and I couldn't help but laugh. I fired a box through it so the silicone is no longer clear but I think the pictures show how much they used.
    I'm debating what to do now as I'm not willing to pay full price for a gun bunged up with silicone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. r10hunter

They have not done it neatly that's for sure. If you Tidy it up with a razor blade ect it should not pose a problem. I think it will only be filling a tiny gap around the rib. The bush is in place that seals it and holds the mod solid. The stuff on the inside won't show anyway.
    Mine has something around the rib but it does not seem like silicone it feels hard.
    Epoxy??
    I would tidy it up myself but I know you should not have too.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 27, 2015