1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Shot my first set of comp cards from the right shoulder..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Jun 25, 2016.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Having been roped into administrating our club's entries into the county postal LSR comp, I thought I might as well have a crack myself.

I've shot this sort of stuff with my rimfire since the dawn of time and tbh now find it thoroughly mundane. Having recently had my long-ish term but half-arsed desire to learn to shoot from my weak shoulder stoked by the purchase of a lovely R/H Rapid, I decided to shoot the comp with this rifle, from the right shoulder.

I shot my first set of cards earlier and was pleasantly surprised - scoring 96 on the first card and 93 on the other, for a total of 189 ex 200.

It's a fair bit down from my "normal" average and won't be competitive within the division I'm in, but I'm pleased with my progress and it's a little silver lining on an otherwise momentous turd of a day.

It'd be great to one day be able to shoot completely ambidextrously :cool:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Gary 59 likes this.
  2. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Keep chipping away, it is just a question of investing the time it'll take to be comfortable shooting both sides.

More power too you and well done with those scores.

I can see you ending up with a thumbhole HW100 as well at this rate :D ok maybe not :rolleyes:

3. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

I'm one of those annoying ambi people, but I'd be lucky to shoot that well off either hand!
    Well done mate for doing that well off your 'wrong' hand!

4. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

Cloverleaf,

I can be considered ambidextrous - I shoot like crap from both shoulders :)

At the best of times when aiming, I shake like a sh*tting dog !

More seriously though - many years ago I broke the fingers of my right hand playing rugby, so I had to shoot pistol left handed instead of right. It took a while, but eventually, I was almost up to my usual crap right-handed performance level :) I found a blinder for the non-aiming eye to be a great help.

I still shoot the odd card left handed, and find it quite enjoyable & enlightening.

Have fun & a good weekend :)

Best regards

Russ

5. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

Can you scan the cards and let us have a look?

6. cloverleaf

Thanks guys - appreciate the encouragement :)

Will have to see how my average fares throughout the course of the comp - hopefully practice might pull it up a bit but I'm already pleased with how quickly the muscle memory seems to have kicked in!

Rich - I'll try to remember to get some pics of the cards when I'm next at the club ;)

7. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

That's very good going. I couldn't get even close to that.

If you don't mind my asking, what size is the LSR target, and what is the range?

8. cloverleaf

The comp's shot at 20yd freestanding on PL14/06 targets:

[​IMG]

For reference the card is 178mm square and the bull is around 14mm diameter :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  9. Mr_Garth

Mr_Garth Donator

Very good shooting by my standards!

-Garth

10. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

Thank you very much.:)

11. cloverleaf

No problem!

As requested by Nobby, my cards from round 1. Got scored down to 188 but I'm still pleased with them considering :)

[​IMG]

12. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

Very nice. Ten 10s.

We have to shoot four cards of five shots.

13. cloverleaf

Ta :)

I've had to do 5 per card in the past too.. although I don't think any of our entries warrant that currently!

14. Barni

Barni Donator

Well done to you indeed , some mighty fine shooting there :up:

Crikey i wouldnt even dare shoulder it on my lefty :eek: ..... Do you do barn door competition divisions ? :)

Keep up the practice im sure you will only get better :cool:

Atb

15. cloverleaf

Tbh the first time I attempted to shoulder a rifle right-handed it felt totally wrong and alien, like I'd never picked a gun up before.. in my head I reminded myself of how people look when the hold a rifle for the first time - uncomfortable, deliberate, clumsy.. I've only got this far through practice - I had to learn from the left shoulder once and so can do the same from the right, with time :)

It still doesn't feel great - less intuitive, less stable and I have to be very careful with my trigger control.. but considering that maybe a year ago I wouldn't have been able to keep them in the black on that card, while maybe 3yrs ago I couldn't even wink with my right eye, I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

Give it a go - if you can be arsed to stick at it you might be surprised by how quickly you improve!

16. cloverleaf

I recently came into possession of a nice, slick RH S400, so gave this a go on Monday night. The groups below are 20 shots each freestanding at 20yd - the one on the left from the left shoulder, the one on the right from the right shoulder. I'm quite pleased with my progress :)

[​IMG]

In other news I'm now up to round 4 on my comp that I'm shooting RH with the Rapid - on the same targets as above I'm averaging 188.5 ex 200, which I'm very pleased with. This is only around 4% lower than my average with my rimfire from the left shoulder of around 196 ex 200, IIRC. Given how well I fared with the S400 I'm tempted to swap to this as it's got a significantly quicker lock time and is a bit less of a pain to use..

I've got into the habit of wearing a good thick coat (if temperature allows) which adds a lot of stability, and it feels like I'm getting better at holding the rifle steady on the target when shooting from the weak shoulder, which is nice.

I'm pleased to have found that while first shouldering a rifle from the weak side feels completely alien, if already competent from the other shoulder it seems to take comparatively little time to get reasonable results after a bit of practice. If anyone fancies a bit of a challenge / some self improvement, I'd highly recommend learning to shoot from your weak side :)

17. cloverleaf

As mentioned on the thread about the S400 linked to in my previous post a b*llock was dropped on the first set of comp cards I shot with it - snatching a 3, reducing my score to 185 and cutting my running average over 5 rounds to 187.8 from 188.5 :(

Despite this slight setback the rifle's balance, quick(er) lock time and performance otherwise convinced me that it was worth persevering.

I've had an Ultimate Sporter stock stashed away for a while now - waiting for other bits to come together for a project I had in mind. Inevitably, Sunday night this happened:

[​IMG]
    :D

The gun weighs in at a shade over 4.2kg, nicely under the comp limit of 4.5kg. Unsurprisingly it shoots very nicely thanks to the very accommodating, very adjustable stock and its deep forend.

I took the gun to the club on Monday night and after 20 rounds of practice dared to shoot some comp cards:

[​IMG]

Needless to say I was very pleased with these (barring the 8!)- coming in at 195 ex 200; a score I'd be content with from the left shoulder and representing a personal best from the right.

My average has been pulled up to 189 and through the increased stability of the new stock as well as my own improvement, I'm feeling more like 10s are the order of the day rather than anything inside the 9 ring being a lottery and 10s being a bonus.

I now feel somewhat like I've "arrived" with shooting from the right shoulder - while not as confident or stable as when shooting from the left, I'm not too far behind as these scores show. After these cards I put 10 through the Steyr from each shoulder - the score from the right actually being higher, although group sizes were similar and those from the left were shot at a much faster pace:

[​IMG]

So there we go - things are progressing nicely, although I doubt I'll improve much past this point. The top man in the comp is currently averaging 192, although now we're half way through I doubt I'm really in with a chance of beating him. One can but try, though :D

18. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

Great shooting with either hand - freestanding, I'd be lucky to hit the card:mad:
    When shooting at scored targets are the shots scored high or low? ie if a hole cuts the 8/9 which score counts?
    Is it the same for all target shooting disciplines?

19. cloverleaf

In this comp (and most others) targets are "inward scoring" i.e. if the line is touched or broken the highest score counts (so in your example the shot would score a 9 if breaking the ring between 8 and 9.

Other comps are outward scoring though (lowest score counts), for example 10m air rifle and IIRC 25yd prone.

Now I've reached a reasonable standard I'll probably stop posting tbh for fear of the thread going from a "look what you can do with some practice - give it a go" approach to "look at me, aren't I great?" which really isn't my style :p

20. cloverleaf

Pics sorted, FWIW :)