1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Shot cat in Sapcote

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Davy-Kelly, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

So a few 'wanted' posters have gone up recently about a cat that was shot (not sure if it survived or not) here in Sapcote. Basically they are looking for the culprit. The cat owner is next to a farm that I shoot but they have spoken to the farmer and confirmed that it's not me that shot the cat. Do you think it would be worth my while going to the shot cat owner and introducing myself to them? They own/rent a number of fields (with a fair few rabbits on them as it happens, they keep horses on the land).

The last thing I want is for some one to call them up and say 'I know of a guy who has an air rifle..." That guy being me!!!

So in short, should I introduce myself or not, what would you do?

Cheers, Davy

2. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

PS: I don't condone the shooting of cats before anyone jumps on my back. Just the village idiot giving genuine air rifle owners a bad name

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Wouldn't do any harm mate,

I would get in there before blame starts getting chucked around:)

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I would ask the farmer you shoot on to have a word with his neighbour - if only to break the ice first.

5. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Don't think you'd have anything to worry about, but an introduction, some condolences and a promise to keep a look out probably wouldn't go amiss.

Hope they find out what happened to kitty, poor b****r. Crap like this is the last thing legitimate shooters should be dealing with. Good luck mate.

P.S. - Hope you find the village idiot, and relieve him/her of reproductive qualities.

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If the farmer has already spoken to them and assured them it's not you that might be sufficient but if you see the owner(s) of the cat in the adjoining field(s) you could possibly a word with them or you could check with the farmer to see if they were happy with his assurances.

7. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

I've decided to leave well enough alone, the farmer has spoken to them and I'll leave it at that. I don't want to cause any upset and get in someone's bad books

8. Lincoln

Lincoln Engaging Member

I hope they find the culprit and throw the book at them ... l'm certainly no cat lover! ... but these total plebs are a danger ... just what else do they shoot?

An intro, condolence, and an assurence, you will keep your eyes & ears peeled might go some way to show there are sensible airgun user abound, you being one of them.... atb

9. DenTB

DenTB Donator

Anybody in the area keep an aviary matey ? As an example of possibles, i know that anyone having birds of Any kind living outdoors, pigeons, tame chickens ducks ,people do have the ability ,and likely motive, to protect Their property, and more than likely Valuable livestock,no? Yes. And a cat Is a wild animal is it not, or was. Any gamekeepers about ?
    Sorry mods never realised it was old cat Hat?:eek:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. Deanwar

Deanwar Engaging Member

Unfortunately there are a number of people out there that think its acceptable to shoot peoples pets, i had a guy come to buy a rifle from me once and he happened to mention during the sale that he was going to use the rifle to dispatch a neighborhood cat that had been upsetting his sleep and his lawn. I refused to sell the guy the rifle and suggested maybe a bucket of water chucked over it when wailing at night or cat repellent on his lawn. He was rather annoyed and said he would just go and buy himself a gun from a local gunshop. i wished him the best of luck on his way out. I had the guys details so rang all local air rifle shops and asked them to make sure when they asked for identification if this guy popped up to use there discretion with the sale.
    You cant stop ignorant people doing what they want to do, its impossible with all the air guns out there.
    If you shoot a cat or any other domestic animal, no matter how much you dislike them, you have to be aware that the animal is part of someones family and your are most likely going to devastate them and there children.

11. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Wise move - especially to avoid all the conspiracy theories and blame games.
    Thanks
    Tim

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

A cat may only be shot if it is wild living, feral, not owned by anyone. Anyone shooting one must be 100% sure the cat is feral or they could be in deep trouble.
    An air rifle would not be an acceptable weapon to shoot feral cats with anyway.
    Its not very probable that a local gamekeeper is taking out cats with an air rifle, more probably some idiot with a B2.
    cheers Andy

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  13. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Well, as an owner of 3 cats and yes, also an airgunner, I would be fuming if anyone dared to shoot any of mine and they would be reported to the Police/RSPCA without hesitation. Thankfully mine are all indoor only cats and it's all they've ever known. I do understand that to someone who likes to keep a beautiful garden etc and puts a lot of their time and effort into it, that a cat digging up parts of it and burying it's business would make them fume too. But shooting them as the answer to the problem? People need to understand that peoples pets are family members and are like our babies to us that love and enjoy them. I believe the Police/RSPCA are starting to take a dim view of people shooting family pets for whatever reason and are starting to prosecute offenders and I happen to agree. Last time I checked, a cat's status in UK law was "Semi-Wild" and I think if you look at the BASC's rules/General licence, they can only be shot if proved to be "feral" in certain circumstances. I believe anyone caught should be prosecuted but that's my opinion as an owner of cats. Sorry to rant a bit, but I just happen to have one of mine sat on my lap and was looking at my 2 others sleeping quietly on the couch together as I came across this post and just had to answer :p

Andy :)

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Bloody hell, I work 2 miles from sapcote. I'll ask someone I work with who lives in sapcote and knows all the farmers.

Nice to know there's some local shooters.

15. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

As far as I'm aware it remains unresolved, I'll ask the farmer next time I see him to see if he knows any more.

Hi Tom, I'm assuming you're talking about me being a local shooter not the cat persecutor ;-) let me know if you hear anything. I know of one village idiot (as far as I'm aware he's more into shotguns than air rifles though)

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Yes talking about you :D, what's the first name or description of this village idiot lol,

17. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Know it's an old 'un; but I hope the perp is found, strung up and shot in the knackers repeatedly.

As has been said, pest or not a cat is no doubt a member of a family somewhere. My two are housecats, and I've adopted a stray that lived under the shed. 12 years old, one eye, biggest purr of any cat I've met.

If any of mine were hit with a projectile of any sort, I'd make it my mission to track the a*sehole down Liam Neeson style. They'd end up sorry one way or another.

Hopefully someone will talk and an idiot will be caught.

18. Davy-Kelly

Davy-Kelly Donator

PM sent

19. Deanwar

Deanwar Engaging Member

Even if you run over a cat with your car you have no obligation under the current law to even stop, unlike dogs.
    I thought cats are a helpful addition to a farm? they control vermin much like a "ships cat"
    Most farms i have visited to help out with vermin issues own a cat and some even breed them.
    There great little hunters and natures pest controllers

20. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I just read the parts I highlighted in red and spat my tea everywhere laughing:p Thanks for that lol! I would do the same, but didn't want to come over as sounding too aggressive about it lol.

On a serious note, it makes all us legitimate shooters who try do carry out our sport as humanley as possible look really bad in the view of the public and just gives Gov/Police ever more excuses to come down hard on the sport we all enjoy :(

Andy.