1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Short-stroking shenannigans!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tinbum, May 23, 2014.

1. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I had another afternoon to myself today, so I turned my attention back to short stroking Mk3 TX's and prosports. Their 99mm stroke is lazy and although swapping the heavy steel tophat for one of my lightweight ones speeds things up considerably, its still not that efficient.

I had been thinking that an extended latch rod is the way to go. But with my main priorities being an item that anyone with the most basic toolkit can fit at home for the cost of a couple of tins of pellets, added to the risk of a "hardened" rod failing in the future and surgically removing someone's thumb, it seemed a piston extension was the way to go! I decided on 13mm as a starting point, reducing the stroke to 86mm with a swept volume of 42.2cc. Slightly over the ideal, but a length which would still engage the anti bear trap mech.

The next question was which material to use? As keeping the moving mass at a minimum I stuck with aluminium and Delrin as test pieces. They are identical in size, but the Delrin has half the mass of the aluminium, so that's what I'm testing!
    Prior to fitting, my Prosport was putting 7.9grn express out at 11.3fpe. With the Delrin extension it dropped to 9.9!! Its inevitable that power will be lost when the volume is reduced, so that was expected. I also tried the aluminium nose to see what effect the extra weight would have, and it went to 10.1fpe. I put the Delrin one back in and added a power washer that brought it up to 10.5 which is where its staying.

I'm struggling to see a downside to using Delrin in this application. The stroke isn't short enough for any slamming to take place, and used in conjunction with my TbT Drop-in set, the firing cycle can only be described as very sweet! Its a club meet on Sunday, so I'm gonna do my best to pass it around on the zero range and try and get two tins through it before stripping and checking for signs of wear or damage.
    It may be that I will have to start experimenting with stiffer springs to get the power up for the shorter barrelled models, or maybe reduce the extension to 10mm, but its been an interesting afternoon!:)

2. doodsy

doodsy Donator

nice job tinbum, I often wonder if my Diana 52 would benefit from short stroking
    as I think they have a large volume ????

be nice to hear and update on how things go.

atb

doodsy

3. Tinbum

I have a 52 here that I'm gonna make one for tomorrow, also an hw80. Its a dead easy job to fit one, and it makes a big difference to the way the guns shoots. I just need to do some serious testing with this particular one before I can let other people try them.

4. Tinbum

I tossed and turned all night and just couldn't settle. By 6am I was up and playing with the vernier, by 7am I had the Diana 52 and HW80 in peices across my workbench, and all morning I've been testing. The 52 stroke kit is spot on and ready to go as soon as my Prosport testing period is up. I'm not so happy with the way the HW attaches, I may have to stick to aluminium for that one.....

While I was at it, I made a couple of 10mm noses for the TX range. I reckoned that getting that small amount of volume back would make it work better with the factory spring. The down side would be that the recoil would creep back in.

WRONG!!:D

Its shooting better than it was with the 13mm nose. It must be the better balance between spring, volume and preload but a quick nudge and its done, with improved FPS to boot!

5. JD

JD Donator

Tinbum, are you going to be offering these short stroke nose cones for sale ?

6. Tinbum

Yes. As soon as the tests are done I'll start offering them for sale. As yet I'm unsure whether to sell them on their own, or with a modded top hat to increase preload, with power washers or a full internals kit. Any ideas welcome!

7. ste

ste Posting Addict

Looking good mate,

8. Samobaggins

Samobaggins I own to many fx rifles

It would be nice as a full internals kits! I've been thinking of short stroking my TX HC for some time.

9. saddler1980

saddler1980 Busy Member

I'd give people the option mate, you may have customers already having your guide/tophat kit that want the extra's ;)

10. Tinbum

Right folks, I've answered my own question this weekend. The extension has worked flawlessly and is now unmarked after several hundred shots. My only worry is that the over-exuberant public would over-tighten the grub screws and strip the threads.
    It is for that reason alone that I am going to stick with aluminium as a standard material and just use delrin in special cases. Ie, me!:D

I'll put an ad in sales later.......

11. hairyarms

hairyarms .

Hi Tinbun,
    Could you make the extension from mild steel and hollow it out to reduce the weight,you wouldn't have to worry about the threads stripping so much then?And also with mild steel you might be able to make the extension a friction fit and heat it up to contract it so it never comes off?

12. Tinbum

I've stuck with aluminium as its very light, cheap and easy to work with. Also, its a lot softer than the metal around it, so there's zero chance of scoring the comp tube if it was incorrectly fitted!

13. Tinbum

I did some testing today. I started with my prosport in .177 with standard internals, it was running at 11.4fpe and felt quite nice to shoot. Well, they do don't they!:)

I fitted an aluminium 10mm extension and two 4mm preload washers on the rear spring guide. This resulted in an average 11.1fpe which is nigh on perfect, and a firing cycle which can only be described as "CLONK!" One movement that's short and to the point. Its a truly amazing difference for such a cheap and easy modification, and I'm sure that some fettling with the TP will allow me to lighten the piston and reduce it even further.

I'm loving this gun all over again!:D

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  14. hairyarms

hairyarms .

Tinbums Short stroke kit arrived today.It came well packed with some good instructions,I fitted it this afternoon and first impressions are great. The anti beartrap still engages on the last notch so that's a good thing.I will test it the weekend but I have fired a couple of shots and it is a different gun, it now shoots a lot faster and recoil is a lot less.I was happy with my TX before but this mod has improved the firing cycle no end so I am well chuffed,thanks Nick.