1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

shooting rights ins and out

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by snakes1989, Jul 14, 2007.

1. snakes1989

snakes1989 Member

right im totally new to shooting i bought my 1st air rifle a air arms s410 but i have come to relise that there are no clubs around my area(i kno i should of checked it out before buying the gun but i was so excited to be getting it if you kno wot i mean) and i read on this forum about buying shooting rights off farmers but i have no idea what they are? how do i go about buying them do i need solicitor to do the paper work or not? how much should i pay etc i just need info on the matter so any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

the best thing to do mate is to pay the farmer
    a visit and ask for permission to shoot on his land
    it may take a while and a lot of calls ,but in the end you
    will be lucky,dont expect to pay anything usually the farmer
    will be glad your getting rid of all the vermin for him,
    dont forget to be polite ,and dont go all cammoed up
    most of all dont stop trying you will get permision in the end;)

3. VERMINHUNTER

VERMINHUNTER Member

i agree with the above.. just get door knocking. i used to pull up at the side of the road and look over the wall / fence and look around for vermin problems then at least you know he has a problem.. good luck

4. David

David Engaging Member

I would reccommend you go to www.basc.org.uk/content and register (there is a fee payable) the farmer will feel a lot more inclined to say yes if you have liability insurance

Also on the same website go to www.basc.org.uk/content/shooting_rights_permit/home print the form off (pdf) and when you have a yes from a farmer make sure he agrees to it by signing it

BASC is a good site to go for info on shooting in thid country

Good luck

David

5. David

David Engaging Member

6. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Permission to shoot

Most landowners who need pest control would let you shoot for free if they knew and trusted you.Perhaps if you were to offer a days labour in advance to get to know each other.Its a much more sincere offer than just cash.It says more about you and is probbably cheaper in the long run.
    There's always something anyone can do on/in a farm/forest that the landowner hasn't the time for.
    Insurance cover really helps.

7. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Correct to all above.

a few pointers that have worked for me.

1. No Camo
    2. Bring wife/girlfriend or any woman with you dressed like a country wench, jeans, fleece etc etc...Puts them at ease.
    3. Don't say their Land just say is their a field you have problems with.
    4. Make sure you get the Gamekeeper or Land owner and not a Farm hand because he will tell you NO.
    5. And Last and this is very important talk politly and if turned down say 'Do you know anywhere else or farmer who might be interested'.
    He may no someone with huge warren or rat problems you can try.
    Word of mouth will get you land in the end.

You will get some but Footwork will be required:up: