1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Pigeons

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Eclipsetuned, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Eclipsetuned

Eclipsetuned Member

Dear all

Sorry to be repetitive but I have had conflicting views on this subject.

Pigeons are being a nuissance in my garden and as a result, I have been shooting them from the first floor window in a downward direction from about 15yds.

Even though I aim for the head, following the shot, the pigeons seem to flap around for a bit in a distressful manner. This is something I am extremely anxious to avoid and therefore immediately re-load and re-shoot etc. It usually takes around 3 rounds to completely remove any movement.

Please advise on whether or not I am wrong in trying to shoot the pigeon in the head. Is flapping ineviable or should I expect them to die instantly?

Maybe this is a somewhat unsavoury subject however, I don't want to cause any unwarranted stress to the prey.

2. topcat

topcat Post Whore

pigeons

i think shooting out of your window is a bit dodgy nosey neighbours etc also you must be how to work oldover oldunder out is your gun zeroed in at fifteen yards if not you will have to find out poi at 15 yards head shots are recomended if you no where the pellet is going to land

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Eclipse, It's qutie unusual for shot game to not move at all after a headshot.It's all down to nervous twitching.
    A direct hit to the brain will kill instantaineously,the muscle fibres can "live" for quite a while until oxygen starvation kills them.
    The motor area of the brain extends a few mm into the brain stem and when catastrophic brain damage occurs it can fire off millions of nerve impulses resulting in the twitching and flapping you have seen.
    Many people find this distressing and may belive the animal to be suffering but its unlikely to have known anything about it.

4. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Twitching Vermin

Hi Eclipse
    When i first started shooting tree rat i had the same thoughts as you because they run around like their arse is on fire for what seems like ages before they give up and die. But after examining the holes in thier heads there was no way they were alive. I have also noticed their hearts still beating after they stop twitching even although this sounds and looks distressing if you had a good head shot those flying rats of yours new nowt about their bit of disco dancing.

5. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Grab a chicken by the head, heave it over a tree stump and chop off it's head with an axe. Let the body fall to the ground and see how far it runs. I've seen 'em run 25 yards or more...without a head. Now I've got the head in my hand, so was the chicken dead when it's head severed...or when it stopped running. I'll vote for it being clinically dead before it hit the ground !! No brain...no pain !!

6. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

Hi eclipse,
    I agree with potshot on what he has said, pretty much every woody i have shot in the head, falls to the ground and flaps very crazily for a couple of seconds but it has already died that split second the pellet has penetrated. Then again not all the woodie ive shot have flapped around ive seen afew just very slightly twitch.

pete.

7. David

David Engaging Member

Hi Buzz

No brain no pain... I will not be telling my pt instructor that one :)

8. David

David Engaging Member

Hi eclipse

I think that you are doing right by taking a head shot and that any movement after that is normal as all has explianed above, its nice to see that your keen to dispach your quarry cleanly and quickly.

keep up the good work

David