1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting Park Life.....with Tinmanofkent

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Elk hunter, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I recently bought 7 stags from a park in Cheltenham/Gloucester area and Monday was collection day. I was going to shoot and break the carcasses down there, then bring them back to butcher and sausage. Needing a hand and as usual an offer to a friend normally works.....come shoot and help basis. Well this year I asked James "Tinmanofkent" if he would like to join me. Let's say he needed little persuasion as he's like a magpie, anything I didn't want he would have!

James and I arrived early afternoon with glorious sunshine, one pick up and a builders van full of salt. We met Headley the manager as we set out our stall, knives, guns, table ect before heading into the park to see the heard. Didn't think they would be as big! Logistically I would not have room for all in one go as the smallest was 11 points largest 20+. Before anything else a cup of tea and to get changed. I just went for plain of boiler suit, James came dressed as Frans the European Hunter.

As I only cull once a year here the deer were no clued up some were grazing others were sleeping. So James and I got into position, he was using my 308 and I with my 6.5. Everything was calm, as a 12 stag stood up out the long grass about 110 yards away and turned broadside on. Asked James to take the shot, no sooner had the bullet left the barrel, I was on a large stag about to stand up. Both stags dropped on the spot and dam well next to one another. Reloaded as the heard started to realise something was wrong. Luck one of the cull animals just stopped to have a glance back at the two on the ground. The way he stood he was quartering away and had to take the shot back of the shoulder. He made it a further 5/6 yards and reared back on his hind legs, then rolled over, classic heart shot.

3 in the bag.
    [​IMG]

James was all happy, I was glad it was over, now I could get on with skinning. As the heads were good I phoned the taxidermist to see if he wanted them, "Yes and caped if possible".
    Everything was going well, all gutted ready to be hung up. But the tractor would not start to take then to the clean room...there was no way to carry them.

Luck for us James is a bit of a wiz with old tractors....it was knackered. Headley, James and Darren got it going but had put me way behind. By the time we had finished on the first day it was 8pm. But one of the stags had been fighting and had taken an injury to the head. A deep gouge to the forehead, on closer inspection we could see it was full of maggots. It's enough to give me nightmares seeing wriggling maggots in a wound. But on opening the wound up, the maggots had made the hole clean and infection free. I expect he would have survived.

Head wound not visible just a dark line.
    [​IMG]

Maggots inside.
    [​IMG]

James was a busy bee, as he has saved every bit of skin to tan and feet for table legs. Just love the guy as he is so enthusiastic over the waist products. He washed the skins and salted them before we left. To the hotel for a well earned pie and pint or 3!

Out the way of Charlie for the night.
    [​IMG]

Day two started at 8am and I had decided to just take 2 more due to room in the cool boxes. The deer were not so obliging today once we had been spotted they were gone. There is an old hind that just does its own thing, never part of the herd. Stood next to the pair of us for ages when we moved she came. The slightest thing the herd took off round to a different part of the park. The only thing to do was ambush them, down near the buildings as the sound of the tractor seemed to draw them that way. James and I got tucked in next to an old oak and waited. Headley carried on feeding the cattle and the deer eventually came round past the cottage towards our position.

Told James to take the second to last stag in the herd. On impact the bullet was a little far forward but took the stag off his feet, a second shot was needed. James without hesitation placed one middle neck at 80 yards, it was a nice shot. Down side the rest had disappeared but wanted to to be fed, so they we not to far away. An old stalker taught me that deer could not count and I used this method before.

Frans with his stag.
    [​IMG]

I hid and sent James across the fields towards the building along with Headley and the tractor. Sure enough within 10 minutes the deer thought it was safe and started to move my way again. Just as a cull stag came into view the hinds at the front spotted me. Not much time and no messing took the stag as it started to trot, one through the shoulder. Messy! But it was the safest way to bring him to a stop, on impact the bullet to the shoulder will cause immense damage. Not only to organs but removes all forward motion resulting in a taking the animal straight to the ground.

Shoulder shot.
    [​IMG]

The tractor only just managed them.
    [​IMG]

2 cracking animals that took over 2 hours to shoot. Up onto the tractor to start possessing again. I had so much meat two igloo boxes and two large plastic game bags were full. Along with a table, fridge (from James) 4 heads, 2 rifles and a bucket.

All loaded.
    [​IMG]

I had to leave James salting the skins and feet, as because of the heat I needed to get back up here. Wouldn't want all that lovely venison to go off. James went home with 5 skins, 20 feet, 12 head and more liver than his dog will know what to do with. Although shooting park deer is necessary Ive got great satisfaction from this cull knowing that the waist was minimum as all but a few bones and guts were left behind. Everything taken will be turned into something else from burgers, steaks to mounts and leather.

Big thanks to James for helping and being great company.

Mammoth task tomorrow butchering. plus a trip in the next week or so to collect two more.

Andrew.

2. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Great write up mate... Seems like a great couple of days.

Bit of a different league I know, but I took my first Muntjack last week, went for a stalk early evening and at at last light, spotted two on the edge of a small wood. Dropped the closest one quartering on with a neck shot at about 60 yards... might have had the other if I hadn't been pratting about with my shooting sticks..
    Was a bit of a hike back to the car to take a photo, but got back and headed out with the lamp, and had three foxes that evening all in the same field.

View attachment 103477 View attachment 103478 View attachment 103479

3. nath92

nath92 Donator

Fantastic writeup Andrew thanks for sharing I found this very interesting and informative

Atb
    Nath

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Nice one Ronnie,
    Tough little b*****s to skin but good eating munti are. I've shot very few and never a buck although I've seen a good one on the farm.

Andrew

5. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Thanks again Andrew, it was a good day and I'm very grateful for the extra practice I got. It's great working with deer, they are magnificent beasts and provide so much once processed.

I laid out all the skins today round the back of my dad's stables today. It looks seriously weird with 20 hoofed feet on the floor and a skinned head in a bucket of water.

I decided to rot the head down in water to clean the skull off. I've removed all the skin from the head and submerged it in a gorilla tub of water, only the stag's antlers remain dry. I will need to add an amount of clean water every week to prevent the toxins building up and killing the bacteria that clean away the flesh. Should be ready in around 6 weeks I expect.

Regrettably one of the skins had begun to slip as I hadn't salted it quick enough considering the warm weather we had. It was dim of me and has cost me a nice piece of fur, still I learn the most when my mistakes are costly.

I haven't yet decided what to do with the hooves but I'm currently thinking of drying them to make a chandelier.

I think the funniest thing was watching you pull away with everything stacked in the back of your truck. It looked like the Beverley Hillbillies had been shooting, all you were missing was granny with a shotgun in her rocking chair in the back. I may have looked like Franz but you were Jed Clampett!

6. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Some lovely heads there. How much do they sell for once mounted ?
    Sounds like a cracking 2 days lads. Well done

7. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Lovely job, sometimes I think you two need to get a room, nothing wrong with that though.;)

Andrew, I must disagree with your diagnoses with the fly strike, if I saw tissue like that I'd not agree it wasn't infected, it has necrosis.

Looks like you had a fab day chaps :)

8. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

It's unfortunate lve no pictures but James may. We skinned off the area in question and the wound went across over the eye but had not broken the skull. There was no infection ie. puss, it was very clean. So I assume the maggots had cleaned up any infection.

Andrew

9. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I have got the video but haven't put it up yet.

10. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

You know better than that Andrew, untreated flystrike is just as effective as killing a sheep as a deer, either way a lovely write up, and great pics!

Good job

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  11. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Not being an expert but I have seen maggots clean up infection as well. Only last year a stag damaged its velvet and ended up with maggots, but survived. Although it's antler was a little wonky.

We used to use them in conflict years back it clean wounds and infection. But it's an out come we shall never know as it's head is being mounted and the rest will be in the freezer by tomorrow afternoon. Yum yum.

Andrew

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  12. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Yum indeed, perfect autumn fodder.

Keep up with pics and write ups, they're great.

13. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

View attachment 103531 Pictures of the skins and hooves, all salted and dried out.

Tomorrow I will be jet washing the skin clean.

14. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

whats the plan with them?

15. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

The skins are all going to be rugs, the largest I want to keep as I know I shot it but the smaller ones I may try and sell. One of the rugs is from a stag's neck and I didn't salt it soon enough and the fur has come out in a patch so can't be used as a rug. I'm rotting down a head for a skull mount and may use the neck fur to wrap around the board I mount the skull on.

I have aver some bison skins I'm tanning at the moment too. My lounge isn't really big enough for a bison rug but I'm looking to move soon and a big lounge is on my checklist.

Can I tempt you with a deer skin rug?

16. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Yes, most likely

17. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

And a stag hoof chandelier to go with it?

18. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Kyska,

I've got one deer rug left unaccounted for. If you want it I will ear mark it for you, I ask £10 to cover cost of chemicals.

Let me know if you still want one.

James