1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Shooting Insurance?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rambo, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

Does anyone here think shooting insurance is a good investment. I know in Airgunner & AirgunWorld there's always an application form for BASA insurance, but when I've asked my mum, she says it's a waste of money.

Any views?

2. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Ask ya mom if she would drive, with out insurance

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

chances are you arent really going to break something worth an insurance claim.

i dont know if you use FAC guns or not but chances are all you could break are the hinges of a gate or something.

yea accidents happen but only when you let saftey slip.
    i guess insurance depends on how safe you are.

really its a question you need to ask your self.
    am i in a place where i may make a mistake and need alot of money to get me out of it.

remember you need to do over £250 worth of damage before insurance will bother

4. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Well I think Rambo needs insurance, did you read his other thread (charging bang) about filling his gun, it only take one second of lapse in concentration:eek:...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  5. sumo

sumo Posting Addict

hit someone in the eye with a pellet and you could be sued for 100s of grand.
    Get insurance with a public liability of at least £1 million for peace of mind!
    Only cost 50 odd quid a year!.

No shooter should be without proper insurance!.

6. halight

halight Busy Member

I think its worth having as you never know what going to happen, Better safe than sorry

7. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Mathew, I don't think I'm the only one here that's getting a bit tired of hearing this one from you. You're 17 years old and have absolutely no Worldly awareness, or common sense, obviously. Accidents can be minimised, but they cannot possibly be stopped altogether, no matter how careful or safety conscious anyone is. You may well be in a situation yourself where the chances of there being another person within range is remote, but not everyone has that luxury and nobody, not even you, can guarantee it 100%.

If someone harmed you by accident, I'm pretty sure you'd expect to receive some sort of compensation for damages and if the person responsible wasn't able to pay up you'd no doubt be very angry.

Let's try and make it into a joke as you usually do....you're shed shooting inside a tin shed, you shoot at a pigeon and he moves, so you miss. The pellet bounces off a beam and hits the side of the shed. Outside there's a feed salesman and rust from the outside of the shed gets thrown into his eyes. Temporarily blinded he staggers onto a rake, the handle of which stikes him squarely in the nuts and causes him to fall onto the blade of a scythe, carelessly left by the side of the shed and dies from his injuries. See, you laughed at the thought of the rake hitting him in the nuts...BUT HE DIED....SO IS IT A JOKE ??
    Whether you agree with it or not, it's all YOUR fault, YOU are to blame. I know you'd argue that no-one would be oustide the shed, it's not a tin shed anyway, the rake shouldn't have been there, it the farm worker had put the scythe away it wouldn't have happened, but it would be YOU that set off the chain of events that killed him. You aren't guilty of murder, not even manslaughter, but you are guilty of causing accidental death. You are going to need legal assistance...which costs money....his dependants are going to need looking after...much more money... and all this falls on you OR YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

I have a personal 3rd party liability insurance as part of my home contents insurance, I have insurance allied to my flying of model aircraft, I have insurance allied to Clay Pigeon Shooting, which covers me for all shooting, I have insurance for my car and Jenny's car and I've never claimed on any of them. I very glad I haven't, but do you think I would be paying out all this money every year if I didn't think it made sense. I know I've been lucky, but tomorrow might be different.

The other side of the coin is how shooters are perceived by the general public. Are they responsible people making sure they have tried to cover for all eventualities or are they idiots who believe it will never happen...until it does. The one thing that amazes me is that the people who have given you permission to shoot don't insist you have insurance, because I certainly would.

If you want to say "I don't see myself needing insurance", in response to a question that's fine, but to tell someone they don't need it, is just irresponsible.

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i didnt say he didnt need it i just said that i did not have it and that it was a question he needed to ask himself.

wher i shoot is verry secluded surrounded by farm land.

i do now have a shoot which is in a vlillage with a higher population and may be less surrounded by land so after checking this place out id considder insurance.
    (plus it would only be a junior membership):D

as for common sence i do have that.
    whenever i go shed shooting i always make sure its safe.
    yes accidents can happen, but they can also be avoided

i dont knwrambo's shoot neither do i know yours so how can i tell how safe it is to shoot over them.

the chances of needing insurance is slim, its up to the shooter

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

That's just the point...they can't. In my joke scenario how did you do anything unsafe, there was nobody in your line of fire, nobody you could hit (except yourself), but the man DIED....and it could happen to someone somewhere !!

You constantly think that the only thin that can happen is "a broken gate hinge", come into the real World A1, that's the least of your worries.

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

could have been avoided. for the rust to have made it into his eyes hed have to be standing under the bird or in the door way within view.

if you see a person in front of you then you obviously dont take the shot

11. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

You're definitely right (Everything seems OK regarding the bang).

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just read that one

13. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

A1,

When i was 19 me and a friend were shooting in a field at the back of his house we were shooting at tin cans and blocks of wood.
    He shot one of the blocks of wood with his Sharp inova, the pellet did not penetrate the wood but came straight back towards us and hit me in the hand.
    It got me right on the knuckle just above the little finger, had to go to hospital and get it checked out as it looked a mess.
    Luckily the pellet had not gone in to my hand but did manage to shatter my knuckle.
    I have also had pellets come back at me shooting in the garden, but they hit the house door or wall.
    You will also have seen the vid on youtube of the man that got hit in the side of head shooting a .50 bmg as the bullet came straight back at him. :eek:
    And you say accidents can be avoided. :confused:

14. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

what was the backstop?
    block of wood

ive never had that with pellet traps

15. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

A1 you need to go to an optician (but I doubt if they could help you) because when it comes to Insurance, you have tunnel vision:rolleyes::D

16. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

like ive said right now i have no need for it.

after checking my other shoot id think again

17. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

After listening to A1's argument I've decided....

I'm cancelling my car insurance, after all I'm a safe driver, I don't need it.

I reckon I'll cancel my bike insurance too, after all I'm safe enough, nothing's gonna happen.

In fact, I might dig out my home and contents too, never needed that before so I might as well cancel that as well.

Aha, my shooting insurance, yep cancel that too, there can't be anything risky about firing lead projectiles around on other peoples land can there?

18. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

dependson how wildly you like firing lead:shrug:

at the end of the day itsmy call, rambo just asked who else had it and i said no.

you know really it has nothing to do with any of you:rolleyes:

19. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Rambo didn't ask who had it, he asked :-

BTW...You're not actually his mum are you ???

Just shows how you read what you want it to say...I said:

so he doesn't have to be:

The fact that you don't have insurance is absolutely nothing to do with anyone else A1, you're absolutely right, but when you make statements like
    it's everything to do with us, it shows just how blind you are to the risks involved in shooting. Just because you THINK you take every precaution, does mean you have and even if you have, accidents can and do still happen, that's what accidents are, an unforseen chain of events that leads to an unavoidable happening.

If you find a way to prevent ALL accidents, I'll put up the money to market it and we'll both be millionaires in a week.

20. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

:)its got all quiet, on the western front

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.