1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

shooting available!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by smarts4god, Oct 10, 2006.

1. smarts4god

smarts4god Newbie

I have some land and have been shooting over our two 4 acre paddocks for years, getting good results with rabbits and pigeons, some squirrels in our copse and crows and rats also.

If it was vaiable enough not to re-let our paddocks for horse grazing, and instead run an airgun hunting club over both sites how much would people pay? £100 a year sound too steep? that would be with twenty members - so we wouldn't be out of pocket.

We can adjust the landscape to encourage rabbits and other vermin, build banks for warrens, compost heaps for rats and plant some crops for pigeon and crows. Of course there would be hides to use as well.

I would love to know what others think about this idea as if its viable it could be up and runniing soon. What do you think would be a fair cost for membership? What rules would you agree to? self imposed close seasons? maxmium number of users at one time? What would you like a club to be run like?

I hope some of you will be able to help me out, many thanks for bothing to read it all...

mrb

2. petesurrey

petesurrey Member

sounds like a good idea but where abouts are you.
    i would be interested.

3. smarts4god

smarts4god Newbie

Thanks for replying Pete,

I'm in Chelmsford - Essex, but we are going to need to be flexible as to where we can get rights.

4. VERMINHUNTER

VERMINHUNTER Member

that would be great and would love to do it myself.. good luck if things go ahead

5. maximullis

maximullis Newbie

that would be great, are you near a london tube station???

6. Daimler42

Daimler42 Member

Did you ever get up and running with this idea - it makes sense and is being thought about up here.

7. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Post Whore

I'd be interested:up:

8. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Original post and reply's were made by inactive users,not much chance of a reply I am afraid :rolleyes:

9. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Post Whore

Perhaps I should read all of the post first.:eek::eek::eek:

10. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

:clap2::lol::handjob: I used to do it all the time :D

11. POW!

POW! Well-Known Member

As you can see I am new here and siftin my way through the forum , Its a shame when Folk do not reply , with an idea like this , Often its NOT viable ,

Having said that , I too have a suitable piece of woodland that is suited to a simmilar thing , its a little larger at 250 acres to shoot , but, a target / HFT type of set up could be done in less than a day . the rides are ready cut , Parking is available and motorway acsess nearby ,

IDEAS welcome , I have more than enough to shoot on for myself

Watch this space as they say , POW .

12. simply james

simply james Banned

i think your biggest problem will be insurance mate,as i looked in to it and no one would touche me,the easiest way was just to have friends who had there own insurance,but i thought that was a bit risky,good luck mate

13. Bunny sniper

Bunny sniper Active Member

hey buddy id be glad to pay up to a oner for rights to use and manage the shoot, get in touch with any ideas and maybe we can see about marketing as a club

14. POW!

POW! Well-Known Member

Thanks B Sniper , Some one allready beat you to the punch .

Just sorting out a deal soon , I have made 20 shooting stations through the wood ,targets range from 25 to 60 yards , average is 35/40 yds , they are not evenly spaced as I have tried to make them as realistic as possible,

There is a good mix [ I think ] of prone , kneeling and standing pegs , I have taken as much advice from my "local experts" as i deem necessary ,

I few "Dummy runs" with a few more to iron out any snags is yet to be done , Targets will prove to be costly I belive , Any advice here welcome . OR should i not hyjack this thread and post afresh , Mods help welcome .

We also intend to do some 1to1 hands on hunting , fieldcraft , decoying and roost shoots for Airgunners , Who I belive have been the "Poor relations" of shooting !!! Plus it wont be as noise sensitive as Shotgunning [ I hope , ]

Early days yet as I have not finished final costing , I was tempted to go the club route but have been in too many in my past with committes runing the show and NOT listening to members , This way the BUCK stops with me .

I will keep you abrest of developements , A lot more research as to how far we go . Cheers for now POW.

15. POW!

POW! Well-Known Member

Sound advice Jim ,

I run my Off road 4x4 site like this now , similar with the Quads n Moto X ers , The Fisheries is a Syndicate and this runs sweet .

As you say a big Headach as along with insurance , Shooters are in my opinion one of the "Tightest Fisted " bunch I have dealt with ,

Judging by the original reply , plus what I have posted . A "Re think "is in order , Friends it may just be then .

[ Thanks Jim for jogging my "Sensible head" . ]POW

16. simply james

simply james Banned

no probs mate only trying to help a fellow mate out,thats where i had my first stumble the insurance,i now use the land for flying bops on,theres about 10 people use it close friends no insurance needed thank god

17. POW!

POW! Well-Known Member

Must admit Jim , the Hawks is one aspect I have not tried prsonaly . My mate has a couple so maybe its time , Thanks again for the nod . POW

18. simply james

simply james Banned

you wont go far wrong with hawks mate ,its a good sport if its done properly,good luck with what you do mate

19. POW!

POW! Well-Known Member

OP jim , may get a friend down with his birds , [ sorry if my terminoligy is un correct ] , Hawks , BOP ? ,
    An ex police guy flew them here a while ago , We have aroung half a dozem buzzards , plus sparrowhawks kestrels , the od merlin at times . even a red kite for a few days , , they are joy to watch I must admit .

But you may well be right again on the setting up of an Outdoor Airgun range , no response from an airgun forum ! , A shame realy as the guy who wants to run it is dead keen and realy knowledgable ,

I can turn the woodland back to a quad trail , so no loss to me its just that I remember when I had a passion to start up on my own , with little help . i thought it may make the difference ,

I see noone denied the thriftyness of Shooters , so nowt changed there !!! just with more new legislation on the way soon I wanted to get it established as after is too late , glad to see everyone has plenty of places to shoot ,

Still not sorted a gun for airgunning myself as once you have had a couple of FAC rim fires its a lot different , but certainly ther cheaperway to start OR IS IT !! Thats whole now topic to start!! POW

20. Bunny sniper

Bunny sniper Active Member

Hey steve, im mike new to colchester, i got a couple of old springers with me but aint got a clue where to shoot or of anyone who has permission to shoot/ or syndicate ?? any ideas how i can continue my rabbting???