1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

shooting at an angle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AirArms456, Feb 5, 2014.

1. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

When shooting up into a tree, at various species of birds such as crows, magpies and wood pigeons, should I take any aiming precautions (hold over or or hold under? ) I have never quite understood shooting up at an increased angle as some people have stated that I should just stay at my zero and other have just simply confused me, so an explanation would be great!

Thanks again everyone! My in experience is clearly shown with these many questions,but hopefully I will get there

Isaac

2. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

As far as i am aware when shooting Up your pellet will hit lower, so use hold over. when shooting down your pellet will hit high so use hold under. The amount to use depends on the angle you are shooting. If i am wrong i am sure somebody will correct me on this.:rolleyes:

3. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Tbh I think you are right! These are the instructions that quite a few people have given me, so unless anyone corrects you with a decent explanation I will take your word for it

Cheer

Isaac

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

It's supposed to hit high whether shooting up or down but for me I don't see this theory working out I just aim on. Have tried shooting countless leaves and the pellet goes smack on where I'm aiming. Try it yourself you may get different results although you will have a bit of a wait for some leaves to arrive.

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Iv always been told when shooting high aim low but depends on calibre angle distance etc your best bet is to practice shooting high and see how your rifle performs atb

6. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I second that. Bob

7. splat

splat Donator

way I read it is, you to the tree base and up to the branch form a triangle. gravity pulls pellet down along distance from you to tree base by the same amount wether you aim up/down or level.
    problem occurs with the fact that the angled slope from you to branch is further than to tree base....hence you aim for longer range than gravity is acting on. HTH

example. if tree base is 20yds and tree branch is 30 yds...your shooting 30yds but only getting 20yds worth of pellet drop.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Splat has got the answer here, your pellet drop and therefore your ain points are going to be for the horizantal distance to the target NOT the actual direct distance along the slope. The aim point you should use will depend upon your setup, calibre/muzzle velocity/scope height/pellet etc.
    As the angle gets larger the effect increases to the point that if you were to shoot exactly vertically the pellet would, ignoring wind, travel straight up and not in the parabolic curve you get when shooting normally.
    If you want to see the effects without leaving your armchair then Chairgun Pro does have the option to input slope angles and calculate the trajectory.

9. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

I think of it this way:
    There is a squirrel at the base of a tree 30 yards away and your zero is 30 yards so you aim and hit on the cross hairs.
    If a bird was sitting at the top of this (very high 40 yard tall tree) and you would still need to aim directly on and would hit on the cross hairs.

The confusion comes when you take a range finder and measured the direct distance between you and the bird it would be 50 yards. You then use your 50 yard shooting mark and the pellet whizzes over the birds head.

10. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

right ok I think I get you, I have chairgun pro and I am still currently working on setting it up, at the minute when i have been testing it, it hasn't been correct,this is obviously down to my own error, it is very hard as I haven't got a chronograph, so my power isn't always correct, I put it through a chrone about two weeks ago and it is putting out 10.8 ftlbs, but then my probe o ring snapped, I have replaced it now but should my power still be the same? I am using a Sr6 reticle at the minute which when figured out should be awesome but at the minute it is quite tricky.

thanks

isaac

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you put in all the correct data into Chairgun Pro it will give you good answers but even with assumed velocity you can get a good idea of what happens as you change various things.
    If, for example, you enter an energy figure of 11 ftlbs for your rifle it will fill in the velocity for you - just type the 11.0 in the energy box and hit 'enter'. Now you can change pellets, scope magnification, scope height etc (one at a time!) and see what difference that makes to the trajectory. You can look at the results in a graph or table format, whichever is most convenient.
    You can also change your zero distance and see what effect that has on your holdover aim points.
    Doing this will help to give you a better understanding of what happens when you change some of the settings in real life. You can also change the muzzle energy figure, say between 8 and 15 ftlbs, to see what differences you get in trajectory and down range retained energy.

12. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Right ok no worries, I will just have to keep practicing!

13. firebucket1415

firebucket1415 Engaging Member

si pittaway gives a good explanation of this on you tube

14. firebucket1415

firebucket1415 Engaging Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJad1t3_CI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

try the above link, you might have to copy and paste it, I can't seem to post active links from my tablet
    cheers

15. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

yeh I have already watched it! I think I have watched every Si pittaway video going, he explains things really well and he's a cracking shot!

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

When shooting at an angle, aim low.

17. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Steep angles require aiming low but only slightly say about 3-5mm because its so slight you can usually just aim as your normal trajectory i.e. dead on for your given range.

18. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

If shooting live quarry in a tree, or deer on the hill, or chamois in the mountains.....you need to HIT LOW because your exit will be high. If you hit the same spot as for a level shot, the exit will be high and will, in the case of deer/chamois, mean you crease the animal and shatter the spine, rather than taking the heart and lungs. For pigeons, if you use the corner of the wing as your aim point for a heart lung shot, and aim as for level, then the pellet will miss the vitals because it is travelling upwards and will go over the top of the organs.

To give yourself a mental picture to work with, imagine your pellet is an arrow and trace the line through the bird to hit the vitals, where the arrow needs to go in to pass through the vitals is your aiming point.

19. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

What Simon Said , however Grumps is a simple creature . if im shooting up im normally roost shooting woodies .I settle into my hide early and fire off a couple off magazines into safe backstops and aim / set scope accordingly :up: Worked for nearly 30 years , So il stick with it . Grumps is a low tech man in a high tech world :cool:

20. landymick

landymick Big Poster

I think your quite right when concerned with quarry & fac cals which have a flatter trajectory,my set up with duplex ret requires aim point low about quarter of an inch.